If you are new to Nintendo Switch, you may be wondering if it’s possible to watch YouTube videos on it. In this article, we’ll explain to you how to install the YouTube app on your Nintendo Switch as well as give you a few other useful tricks that you can do once it’s been added.
Can you watch YouTube videos on Nintendo Switch?
The YouTube app for the Nintendo Switch was released in November 2018 so this popular video app has been around for over 2 years at the time of this writing. It was the second major video app (the first is Hulu) to become available on the Switch after the console’s release in March 2017. As long as you have internet connection on your Switch, you can watch YouTube on it.
Is Nintendo Switch Online needed to watch YouTube on Nintendo Switch?
You don’t need to have an active Nintendo Switch Online subscription to install YouTube on your Switch. You can get the YouTube app from Nintendo eShop for free.
In order to get the YouTube app though, you must ensure that you’re signed in to your Nintendo account as Nintendo eShop needs to associate the download to an existing account.
How to install Nintendo Switch Youtube app?
Watching YouTube on Nintendo Switch is easy. You simply have to install the app first from Nintendo eShop, then open it to start browsing for videos, just like on a computer or smartphone.
Below are the exact steps to install YouTube on your console:
- Make sure that you’re signed in to your Nintendo account.
- Open the Nintendo eShop and select your user account.
- Enter your Nintendo account if prompted.
- Select Search/Browse and find YouTube.
- Download YouTube app and wait for the system to finish installing it.
- After the installation, you can begin enjoying your YouTube videos even without signing in to your Google account.
How to sign in to YouTube on your Switch?
If you prefer to sign in to your Google account in order to get your favorite channels, subscriptions, visit your watch history, or check other account details, what you must do is to go to the left-most panel of the app and select Sign In.
How to browse YouTube videos on Nintendo Switch?
Navigating the Switch YouTube app is easy. All you need to do is to use the left joystick to find videos left or right, or move from top to bottom or vice versa. Using the touchscreen in handheld mode works too but it’s limited as you cannot swipe up or down with it.
The right joystick is not yet used in this app, which is surprising for such a well-made app. Anyways, the left joystick is functional enough and should work for the most part.
How to limit YouTube content on Nintendo Switch
If you are concerned that your kid has full access to all YouTube contents, you have the option to restrict which videos he or she can watch by using the Restricted Mode.
When YouTube Restricted Mode is enabled, all mature content are blocked and remains inaccessible until you turn the feature off. Restricted Mode is not perfect though as it uses algorithms, metadate, video titles, reviews, and descriptions to tag content as mature. Since it can be tricky to filter everything in YouTube, not every undesirable videos may be truly off limits to your kids.
Still, it’s a good feature that can become handy for parents at this time.
If you think that you want to enable Restricted Mode, follow these steps:
- Go to the Home screen and open the Switch YouTube app.
- On the left panel, scroll down to the Settings icon and select it.
- Look for Restricted Mode and select it.
- Select the On option and press A to enable restricted mode.
Alternatively, you can block the YouTube app on your Switch by going into your Nintendo Switch Parental Controls and picking the Pre-teen and Child levels for kid’s profiles.
Other interesting articles:
- How To Fix PS4 Controller Not Working On PC | Windows 10 | 2021
- How To Use A PS4 Controller On PC (Windows 10) | Updated Steps 2021
- How To Screenshot On PS4 | Easy And Updated 2021!
- How To Rebuild PS4 Database | Easy And Update Steps 2021
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos and tutorials.