This post highlights some help tweaks to deal with the Epic white screen bug when trying to play Fortnite on a Windows 10 computer. Read on to learn how to fix Fortnite that’s stuck on white screen while loading through the Epic Games launcher in Windows 10.
What causes the Epic white screen bug?
You’re trying to play Fortnite through Epic Games but when you open the launcher, everything is white and the items are glitchy. Well, what you’re dealing with is the Epic Games Launcher white screen bug.
Plenty of users have reported this problem a few years back. Many have thought that it’s a Fortnite bug but it’s actually with the Epic Games launcher.
The white screen issue typically occurs when some residual files or cached data fragments in the Epic Games webcache folder have gone corrupted. What’s more frustrating is that you won’t be able to play your favorite games like Fortnite when this occurs as it prevents any gaming apps from loading and working properly.
Fortunately, there are a few helpful tweaks that help resolve the white screen bug when attempting to play Fortnite on Epic Games.
What to do if Fortnite gets stuck on white screen in the Epic Games launcher?
As explained earlier, the white screen bug is actually occurring on the launcher app rather than the Fortnite game. That said, fixing the problem requires troubleshooting of the Epic Games launcher and ruling out common factors that trigger the white screen bug. Mapped out below are some of the most effective solutions that you can try on.
First solution: End the Epic Games Launcher then relaunch it.
For first instances, the white screen issue can likely be rectified by ending the launcher and then opening it again. It’s like giving Epic Games a clean fresh start. If you haven’t already, then you should consider doing this first. Here’s how:
- Click Start/Windows icon then type Task Manager.
- Click the Task Manager app from the search results.
- On the Task Manager window, select EpicGamesLauncher and click End Task.
That should force the launcher to end or stop running in the background.
After ending the launcher, open it from the Start menu or double-click its shortcut icon on the desktop.
Second solution: Delete Web Cache Folder
Temporary files and residual data that are stored as cache in the launcher can eventually become corrupted. When this happens, various issues may occur when using the Epic Games launcher. To clear this out, deleting the web cache folder is necessary. Here’s how it’s done:
- Click the Start/Windows icon on the status bar at the bottom and then type Run.
- Click Run app on the search results.
- On the Run app’s text field, type in %localappdata% and press Enter.
- Find the Epic Games Launcher folder and then click or right-click to open it.
- Locate the Web Cache folder and then delete it from there.
After deleting the web cache, a new set of residual files will be generated automatically in a new web cache folder.
Third solution: Modify the Epic Games Launcher Property
Changing the launcher app’s properties has also been proven by some users to work wonders when dealing with the white screen bug. Should you wish to give this tweak a shot, just follow these steps:
- On your desktop, find and right-click on the Epic Games Launcher shortcut icon.
- Click Properties.
- Click on the Shortcut tab and then find the Target field.
- Once you find it, add this line -OpenGL to the end of the path field.
- Click OK then Apply to save the recent changes.
After that, relaunch Epic Games and see if the problem is gone.
Fourth solution: Disable Antivirus/Firewall Connections temporarily
Sometimes, security tools such as antivirus and firewall connections can also cause some problems to other applications. When activated, an antivirus software or firewall may restrict the launcher if it sees security risks when running it. To rule this out, temporarily disable any antivirus tools or firewall installed on your computer. Then, try opening the Epic Games launcher again while the security tools are disabled.
If the white screen does not occur without any antivirus or firewall turned on, then you will need to reconfigure your security settings to remove restrictions to the Epic Games Launcher and grant it full access to the system resources.
Fifth solution: Adjust Display Settings on your computer
Invalid or incorrect display settings can also mess up other programs and trigger different issues to occur when using them. To make sure that your current display is not causing conflict to the Epic Games launcher, try to adjust them with these steps:
- Right-click on an empty area on your desktop then click Display Settings. Alternatively, you can click on Start then type Display settings and click on from the search result.
- On the Settings menu, click Display on the left pane under the System section.
- Then go to the Scale and layout section.
- Select 100% (Recommended) from the drop-down options for Change size of text, apps and other items.
After changing the settings, retry opening Epic Games and see if the problem is gone.
Other users who faced the same white screen issue have managed to fix it by altering the high DPI settings for the Epic Games launcher. Should you wish to give it a shot, all you have to do is access the launcher’s properties menu. Here’s how:
- Right-click on the Epic Games launcher shortcut icon on the desktop then click Properties.
- On the Properties window, click on the Compatibility tab.
- Then, click the option to Change high DPI settings.
- On the succeeding window, navigate to the High DPI scaling override section then click to mark the checkbox before Override high DPI scaling behavior.
- Select Application from the drop-down menu then click OK.
- If prompted, click Apply then OK to save the recent changes.
After modifying the DPI settings, reload the Epic Games Launcher and see if it’s already working as intended.
If none of the aforementioned procedures is able to fix the problem and the white screen bug continues every time you load up the Epic Games launcher, then you may have to consider reinstalling the launcher. Chances are that the launcher app has been totally corrupted and is no longer able to work unless reinstalled. Should you wish to proceed, then uninstall Epic Games launcher on your Windows 10 with these steps:
- Click the Start/Windows button to launch the Start menu then type Run.
- Click Run app from the search result.
- Type in control appwiz.cpl and press Enter on the keyboard. Doing so will open the Programs and Features window.
- Locate and right-click Epic Games Launcher from the list of installed apps then click Uninstall.
- Follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to remove the app from your computer.
- When the launcher is completely uninstalled, restart your computer to clear system cache and to refresh system functions.
- After rebooting, download and install the Epic Games launcher from its official website.
Follow the rest of the onscreen prompts to finish installing the launcher and once it’s ready, launch it to see if the white screen is gone.
Hope this helps!
Relevant topics that you might want to read:
- How to fix Minecraft Failed Attempt to Join Realm error on Windows 10
- How to Fix Age of Empires III has Stopped Responding Error on Windows 10
- How to Fix Forza Horizon 4 that won’t start on Windows 10 | Error Loading Game
- How to Fix Roblox Funky Friday that keeps lagging on Windows PC
- How to Fix The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt that randomly freezes on Windows 10