One of the basic troubleshooting steps if you encounter a problem with a Steam game is to clear the Steam download cache. This is also helpful if the Steam client itself is lagging or opens slow.
Some Steam gamers find clearing the download cache useful in fixing games that do not work properly. If you seem to be having a problem loading up a game, make sure to follow this guide.
Deleting the temporary files or download cache of your Steam client can sometimes fix certain issues. If you are experiencing some performance problems with Steam or with any of your Steam games, clearing the download cache may help.
Keep in mind that any mods for your games will also be deleted when you clear the download cache. This is because mods are kept as part of the download cache in Steam. Make sure to move your mods somewhere else before deleting the cache. Otherwise, you’ll have to download and re-install them after clearing the download cache.
Once you’re ready, follow the steps below on how to clear your Steam download cache.
Clearing Steam download cache
Time Needed : 2 minutes
Follow the steps below to start clearing the download cache of Steam.
- Launch the Steam client.
Open Steam app and sign in.
- Go Steam menu.
Click on Steam tab at the upper left.
- Select Settings.
Click on Settings option.
- Click on Downloads.
Select the Downloads option.
- Click the Clear Download Cache button.
This Clear Download Cache option is at the lower portion of the box.
- Confirm action.
Click on OK to confirm.
- Windows PC, Internet connection
That’s basically it! After clearing the download cache, the Steam client will restart so you’ll have to sign back in using your username and password.
If deleting the download cache won’t help fix your issue, consider doing other Steam troubleshooting steps like restarting Steam client or your computer. In some cases, you may find re-installing the game or Steam client helpful.
Other Steam Troubleshooting resources
Below are the other articles that you may find useful in fixing your particular Steam problem:
- How To Repair System Files To Fix Steam Issues
- How To Repair Steam Client Using Command Prompt
- How To Verify Integrity of Game Files To Fix Steam Issue
- How To Fix Steam Extracting Package Error or Update Is Stuck
- How To Make Steam Run With Administrative Privileges
- How To Delete Corrupt Steam “Package” Folder
- How To Fix Steam “Game Is Running” Error
- How To Make A Steam Account in 2023
- How To Set A Personal Ringtone To A Contact In Samsung (Android 10)
- How To Set Any Song As Ringtone On Samsung (Android 10)
- How To Copy Music Files To Samsung Device From Windows PC
Get help from us
Having Issues with your phone? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’ll try to help. We also create videos for those wanting to follow visual instructions. Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for troubleshooting.