Is your JBL Boombox speaker producing static noise? There are various factors that can cause this issue such as a software glitch, audio source issue, or even a volume setting. To fix this, you will need to perform several troubleshooting steps.
The JBL Boombox 3 is a popular portable Bluetooth speaker that;s best known for its powerful, immersive audio. It features high-quality drivers and bass radiators that deliver clear and punchy sound, making it ideal for outdoor parties and gatherings. It has a long-lasting battery capable of a 24 hour playtime and rugged, water-resistant design that is built to last and withstand the elements. Additionally, it can be paired with other JBL speakers for an even more immersive audio experience.
- Transducers: 189 x 114mm Subwoofer, 2 x 80.9 x 80.9mm Midrange/2 x 2.75 inch, 2 x 20mm Tweeter/2 x 0.75 inch
- Output power: 1 x 80W RMS-subwoofer + 2 x 40W RMS-midrange + 2 x 10W RMS-tweeter (AC mode) 1 x 60W RMS-subwoofer + 2 x 30WRMS-midrange + 2 x 8W RMS-tweeter (Battery mode)
- Power input: 100-240Vac; 50/60Hz
- Frequency response: 40Hz – 20kHz
- Signal-to-noise ratio: >80dB
- Battery type: Li-ion polymer 72.6Wh (equivalent to 7.26V/10,000mAh)
- Battery charge time: 6.5 hours
- Music play time: up to 24 hours
- Connection ports: AC-in, USB-A, Aux-in
- Cable type: AC Power Cable
- Cable length: 2000mm/78.7″
- USB specification
- USB charge out: 5V/2A (maximum)
- Wireless specification
- Bluetooth version: 5.3
- Bluetooth profile: A2DP 1.3, AVRCP 1.6
How do I fix my JBL speaker distortion?
One of the issues that you might experience with JBL speakers is when it has a distorted sound or the sound quality is not that good. You might be hearing some static noise when you play music. This can be an annoying experience especially when you are listening to your favorite music.
Here’s what you need to do to fix the sound issue on your JBL Boombox 3 speaker.
Solution 1: Restart the JBL Boombox 3 speaker
One of the main causes of static noise or other sound issues on your JBL Boombox 3 speaker is a software glitch. In order to fix this you should restart the JBL speaker in order to refresh its software.
Restarting JBL Boombox Bluetooth speakers
Press and hold the power button until the JBL speaker turns off.
Wait for at least a minute.
Press and hold the power button to turn on the JBL speaker.
You will also need to restart the Bluetooth device the JBL Boombox 3 speaker is connecting to. Once the Bluetooth device has restarted place both devices in pairing mode then check if the sound issue still persists.
Solution 2: Reduce the volume of your JBL Boombox 3
Sometimes playing music at max volume will result in a sound distortion on your JBL speaker.
There are various factors that can cause this such as a:
- JBL speaker limitation: Portable speakers have a limit to how loud they can play music without distorting the sound. When the volume is turned up too high or is set to max volume, the speaker’s components can no longer accurately reproduce the rich audio spectrum, causing distortion.
- Power limitations: The power amplifier in the speaker may not be capable of delivering enough power to the speakers to maintain a clear signal at high volume.
- Signal overload: If the signal being sent to the speaker is too strong, it can overload the speaker’s amplifier and cause distortion.
To fix this you should try listening to music at lower volumes. You should also try adjusting the bass setting as a much deeper bass will also cause distortion.
Solution 3: Check the audio source
Sometimes the sound distortion you experience on your JBL Boombox 3 speaker is due to the audio source. If you are using a third-party app to play music, try switching to a different app or source to see if the distortion is isolated to that particular app. You should also try playing a different soundtrack or music genre to check if the issue is caused by the particular music you are playing.
Solution 4: Update the JBL Boombox 3 software
There’s a possibility that an outdated JBL software is causing this problem. To fix this you just need to install the latest software on your JBL speaker.
Update JBL Boombox 3 software
- Download the JBL Portable app on your smartphone.
- Make sure that the JBL speaker is paired to your smartphone. Turn on your JBL speaker then launch the JBL Portable app.
- Your speaker should be displayed and the update button will be available if a firmware update is available.
- Tap the update button then tap upgrade to update your JBL Boombox 3 software.
- Tap Let’s party to complete the update.
After the latest update has been installed try checking if the sound issues still occurs.
Solution 5: Charge the JBL Boombox 3
One of the reasons why JBL Bluetooth speakers will sound like faulty speakers is because of a low battery life. Try charging the battery first for 6.5 hours or until the battery charging indicator shows that the battery life is already full.
- Use the provided AC power cord only and connect it to the AC power port of your JBL speaker.
- Connect the other end of the AC power cord to a wall outlet then wait for the charging process to complete.
After the battery life is full try checking if the JBL Boombox sound issue still occurs.
Solution 6: Factory reset your JBL Boombox 3
One of the troubleshooting methods that will fix software related issues is a factory reset. If you are experiencing sound issues on your Boombox 3 then this might be caused by a software glitch which can be easily fixed by a hard reset.
Factory reset JBL Boombox 3
- Remove the charging cord from the speaker.
- Turn on the speaker by pressing the power button.
- Press and hold the Volume + button and Play button for at least 3 seconds. The speaker will turn off.
- Turn on the speaker.
Try checking if this fixes the problem.
Solution 7: Bring your JBL Boombox 3 to a service center
In case the sound issue persists even after performing the troubleshooting steps listed above then this might already be caused by a hardware defect. If this is the case then you will need to have the speaker fixed at a service center.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I connect multiple JBL Boombox 3 speakers together?
Yes, the JBL Boombox 3 supports multi-device pairing and party modes, which allows you to connect multiple speakers for an even more immersive audio experience.
- Can I use the JBL Boombox 3 as a power bank to charge my devices?
Yes, the JBL Boombox 3 has a USB port that can be used to charge other devices.
- Does the JBL Boombox 3 have a built-in microphone for hands-free calls?
Yes, the JBL Boombox 3 has a built-in microphone for hands-free calls.
- How do I pair Bluetooth speakers with JBL PartyBoost?
Connect the speaker you want to use with your phone. Do this by pressing the Bluetooth button and looking up the speaker in your phone's list of Bluetooth devices.
Download and open the JBL Portable app (formerly known as JBL Connect app).
Press the connect button for all the speakers you want to connect. Within 30 seconds, all speakers will be connected and visible in your JBL Portable app.
If you have connected two speakers and want stereo sound, select this in the app. If you want all your speakers to play exactly the same then select PartyMode.
- What is the maximum range for Bluetooth connectivity on the JBL Boombox 3?
The Bluetooth range for the JBL Boombox 3 is approximately 33 meters.