Microsoft releases a new update once in a while. The purpose of an update is to improve the performance of its operating system. Although updating your Windows PC is a simple and quick process, there may be errors that you can encounter along the way. One of the errors that users frequently experienced during Windows Update is Error code 0x8024a105. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle how to fix Windows Update Error code 0x8024a105 on Windows 10
What to do when you experience Update Error code 0x8024a105
There are several factors that can cause Update Error code 0x8024a105 ranging from an improper installation of the update, a corrupt or missing files or a virus or threat present to an issue with Automatic Update components on your computer. You may see the error “There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0x8024a105)”.
Listed below are the troubleshooting solution that you need to do to be able to fix windows update error. But before performing the recommended troubleshooting steps below, its best to restart your Windows computer first. This action refreshes the operating system and remove any corrupt temporary data that could be causing the problem.
Step 1: Run Windows Update troubleshooter
This is a simple step and the very first thing you need to do is to run the troubleshooter when you encounter any windows related error. A tool that is used to diagnose and fix Windows update related issues.
To do this:
- Click on the Start or Windows logo key located at the lower left.
- Click on Settings, an icon that looks like a gear to open Windows Settings section
- Click on Update and Security tab
- Click on Troubleshoot at the left pane.
- Click on Additional Troubleshooters at right pane.
- Click on Windows Update under the Get up and Running section
- Click Run the Troubleshooter tab. A new window opens and Windows will now detect problems
- After Windows Update Troubleshooter process is complete and it could not identify any problem, click Close and Exit Settings Section. It will display recommended solutions to fix it, if a problem is detected.
After performing Windows Update Troubleshooter, check if Windows Update Error code 0x8024a105 still occurs.
Step 2: Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings
There are instances wherein Windows Update Error code 0x8024a105 occurs because of administrative priviledges and or permissions. Make sure that the User Account that is trying to download the update is the Administrator.
To do this:
- Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open RUN dialog box.
- At RUN dialog box, type “netplwiz” and press Enter or click OK to open User Accounts section
- In the User Account window, select the User that you are currently using then click Properties.
- At Properties section, click on Group Membership tab
- Under Group Membership, click Administrator option. If the level of access is already set to Administrator, you can now proceed to the next troubleshooting step.
- Click Apply to apply changes made.
- Click OK to exit properties window.
- Click OK to exit User Account window.
Check if Windows Update Error code 0x8024a105 still occurs.
Step 3: Temporarily Disable Antivirus Program
There’s a possibility that the anti virus or third party anti virus on your computer is preventing the update process to complete and Error code 0x8024a105 to occur. To check if this is the culprit, try to disable temporarily the antivirus software or third party antivirus.
If you are using Avast, A V G, McAfee , you can refer to the article link on the description box of this video on how to Temporarily Disable Antivirus Program.
If you have Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- At the lower left on your windows, click on the Start or Windows logo key.
- Click on Settings which is an icon that looks like a gear. This will open Windows Settings section.
- At Windows settings section, click on Update and Security.
- Click on Windows security which is located at the left pane.
- Click Virus and Threat protection from the protection areas section.
- At the new window, click Manage settings from Virus and Threat Protection settings.
- Then, Toggle OFF Real-time protection.
- Restart your computer.
- Double-click on AVG icon located at computer system tray
- Click Temporarily disable AVG protection.
- Select how long you want AVG to be turned off and whether you want AVG to disable its Firewall too. Click on OK to disable the antivirus program.
- Double-click on McAfee icon located at computer system tray.
- Click Exit.
- A dialog box warning you that McAfee protection will be turned off, click Yes to disable the antivirus program.
- Double-click on Avast icon located at computer system tray.
- Click Avast shields control.
- Locate the options to disable the program – the options are to disable it for 10 minutes, an hour, until the computer is restarted or permanently (until you yourself turn it back on). Select whatever option suits you best and use it to disable the program.
Check if Windows Update Error code 0x8024a105 still occurs.
Step 4: Reset Windows Update Components
If the above mentioned steps fails to fix Windows Update Error code 0x8024a105, you can try to manually reset windows update components using the command prompt as this removes any damaged and corrupt files that prevents update to windows to complete.
To do this:
- Type Command Prompt at the search bar on your Windows located at the lower left.
- Right click on the first result and select “Run as administrator” for command prompt admin access. If a prompt User account control (UAC) appears, click OK.
- At command prompt window, type the following commands in order then hit Enter key after each command.
- Type net stop bits then press Enter
- Type net stop wuauserv then press Enter.
- Type net stop cryptSvc then press Enter.
- Type net stop msiserver then press Enter.
- Type ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old then press Enter.
- Type ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old then press Enter.
- Type net start bits then press Enter.
- Type net start wuauserv then press Enter.
- Type net start cryptSvc then press Enter.
- Type net start msiserver then press Enter.
- Click Close to Exit command prompt window.
- Restart your PC.
After computer completely reboots, Check if Windows 10 Update Error 0x8024a105 still occurs.
Step 5: Delete Software Distribution Folder
There have been reports from users that by simply deleting a folder using the Windows Powershell actually fixes update related errors on their computer. Try this step and see if it works.
to do this:
- Type Powershell at the search bar located at the lower left of your Windows.
- Then right click on the Powershell result and click Run as administrator from the drop down menu.
- At Powershell window, type the following commands and press Enter after each command.
- Type net stop wuauserv and press Enter
- Type net stop bits and press Enter.
- Press Windows + E on your keyboard to open File Explorer
- Click on Local Disk C, then click on Windows Folder, then click on Software Distribution Folder.
- Press Ctrl + A to highlight everything, right click and then click Delete from the drop down menu.
- Confirm any prompts to delete the files.
Update your computer and check if Windows 10 Update Error 0x8024a105 still occurs.
Step 6: Use Media Creation Tool to update
Getting Windows Update Error code 0x8024a105 also means that the default update process that you are using cannot establish a connection with the servers for updating, you can try to use Media Creation Tool to perform Windows update.
- Download Windows Media Creation Tool
- After download, RUN the executable file and then follow the on-screen instructions
- Select the option Upgrade this PC and then click on Next
- Click Accept the License Terms and Conditions to run the installer. Media Creation Tool will now start the update process. Wait for the update to complete.
Check if Windows 10 Update Error 0x8024a105still occurs.
After following the steps mentioned, you will successfully fix Update Error code 0x8024a105 on Windows 10
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.