Blocking a number on your Android phone is now easier to do than before. Stock Android firmware has this feature in its phone app while other phone makers just want to personalize their devices so they added such feature in their respective skins or UI’s. There are, however, devices that don’t have this feature but you may still be able to block unwanted callers and spammers by calling your carrier or service provider and have them block numbers on a service level.
In this article, learn how to block a number on your phone. Since there are hundreds of devices out there, we will only show you on how to block a number on most popular brands.
How to block a number on Pixel phones
If you want to know the ideal device Google has in mind every time a new version of Android is released, look at Pixel phones as they always sport features Google want to put in every Android smartphone. In Pixel devices, blocking numbers is easy as the feature is embedded in the phone app itself. Here’s how it’s done…
- Open Phone app.
- Tap the More options icon (three dots stacked vertically) beside the microphone icon.
- Select Settings.
- Touch Call blocking or Blocked numbers. This will vary if you already blocked a number before.
- Now add the number you want to block.
Alternatively, you can go to Recent Calls or Call History, tap the number you want block and then touch Block. In this screen, you can also Report call as spam. It’s up to you which one you want to do.
How to block a number on stock Android devices
I am referring to non-popular smartphones or “generic” Android devices that have entry- to mid-level hardware specs and run on a stock Android firmware that’s not or lightly customized. Most of the time these devices have the same menu options and even features. Here’s how to block a number on these phones…
- Open the call log or calls history.
- Select the number you want to block
- Tap the More options icon located at the upper-right corner.
- Now touch Add to reject list.
This will disable incoming calls from that specific number. Alternatively, you can also block numbers right from your Contacts. It doesn’t actually block the number per se but redirects the call to the voicemail. You can only do this if you’ve already added and saved the number on your contacts list. Here’s how it’s done…
- Open Contacts.
- Select the contact you want to block.
- Touch the button in the right-hand corner that looks like a pencil.
- Tap the Menu icon (three dots).
- Check the box next to All Calls to Voicemail.
How to block a number on Samsung Android phones
Blocking unwanted callers or numbers on a Samsung device is easy as Samsung did make sure this feature is isn’t moved anywhere else. Basically, it’s almost the same as blocking numbers on any Android device.
- Open the Phone app.
- Select which number you want to block and hit “More” (located on the top-right corner).
- Select “Add to Auto-Reject List.”
- To remove or make more edits, go to Settings > Call Settings > All Calls > Auto Reject.
How to block a number on HTC Android phones
With HTC, it’s a bit different but the feature is also still embedded in the phone app. So, if you don’t know how to do it at first, you just have to play around with the Phone app and you would eventually see the option. But to make it easier, here’s how…
- Launch the Phone app.
- Press and hold the phone number.
- Select “Block Contact.”
- Select “OK.”
- You can remove them from the blocked list on the People app.
How to block a number on LG Android phones
LG and HTC almost have the same placement of this feature but then again, it’s with the Phone app so you really don’t have to look any further if you want to block a number or two.
- Launch the Phone app.
- Tap the 3-dot icon (top-right corner).
- Select “Call Settings.”
- Select “Reject Calls.”
- Tap the “+” button and add the numbers you want blocked.
Blocking a number using Third-party apps
This is another option you may have to use if your phone doesn’t have the block number feature. There are actually a lot of apps that offer the same service but personally and based on my on experience, I would only recommend Mr. Number. It’s easy to use and it’s free. But if you have an option to block numbers in the Phone app, don’t use third-party applications to do this service.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!