Cannot install Fortnite via Epic Games on your Windows 10 computer? This post highlights potential Fortnite error DP-06 during installation in Windows 10. Read on to learn what to do if you encounter this error while trying to download and install Fortnite on a Windows 10 computer via Epic Games launcher.
What does the Fortnite error DP-06 mean?
The DP-06 error typically occurs when trying to install Fortnite via Epic Games Launcher. This happens when a problem occurs while preparing the target directory for installation. There are a number of factors that can trigger this error and it does not only affect Fortnite but any other games to be downloaded and installed through the Epic Games launcher.
If you’re faced with the same error while attempting to download and install Fortnite on your Windows 10 computer, I’ve mapped some helpful tweaks you can try on.
What to do when this error shows up?
The following methods have been proven effective by many people who have faced the Epic error code DP-06 while attempting to download and install Fortnite on a Windows 10 computer. You can try your luck in any of these solutions if you want.
First Fix: Run the Epic Games Launcher as administrator.
Many people who have encountered Error code: DP-06 while trying to download and install Fortnite via Epic Games launcher have managed to fix it by running the Epic launcher as administrator. Here’s how it’s done on a Windows 10 PC.
- First, quit the Epic Games launcher.
- Next, right-click on the Epic Games launcher icon on your desktop then select Properties.
- On the Epic Games Launcher Properties window, click to access the Compatibility tab.
- Click to mark the checkbox before Run this program as an administrator.
- After checking the box, click Apply then OK.
- Once the recent changes are applied, relaunch the Epic Games Launcher and retry installing Fortnite.
If the error DP-06 reappears, try the next method.
Second Fix: Change the Installation path.
If the error code: DP-06 comes with a message saying “Install location error. You don’t have permission to install to [directory]” in means that you are trying to install the game in an invalid drive or directory.
- In this case, click the OK button on the error prompt.
- On the succeeding window, change the install location to a different folder or path. For example, if it’s set to C:\ change it to another (local) drive available like A:\ or D:\.
You can click the browse button to search for another install location or directly type in the desired location or directory.
- After changing the install location folder, click Install.
Downloading and installation of the Fortnite game via Epic Games launcher will then instigate.
Third Fix: Confirm Read/Write Access to the Install Location.
Altering the read/write access to the install folder can also help fix this error. Here’s how it’s done:
- Access your preferred install location for Fortnite.
- Once you’re on the install folder, right-click on it and then select Properties.
- On the succeeding window, click to access the Security tab.
- Navigate to the Group or User Names section then select your username.
- Verify and ensure that the Allow option for both Read and Write in the Permissions box is checked.
- If not, then just click to check both boxes.
Save the recent changes and then relaunch the Epic Games launcher to download and install Fortnite.
Fourth Fix: Reinstall Epic Games Launcher.
If none of the above methods worked and the error persists, it could be due to some fatal error with the launcher like when the Epic Games gets corrupted. Should this be the case, reinstalling the Launcher would be necessary. This will give the Epic Launcher a clean fresh start.
Should you wish to proceed, just follow these steps:
- Launch the Start menu on your computer.
- From the Start menu, click Settings.
- Then, click Apps.
- Locate and then select the Epic Games Launcher from the list of apps.
- Then, click Uninstall.
- Wait for the uninstall process to be completed.
- Once the launcher is successfully uninstalled, go back to the Epic Games store to download and install the launcher on your Windows computer.
After reinstalling the launcher, restart your computer and then open the Epic Games launcher as new.
Also ensure that your computer has sufficient storage space. Some people who have faced the same error later found that insufficient storage is the underlying cause.
If necessary, delete unused contents or uninstall unnecessary apps from your computer to free up storage.
Hope this helps!
Relevant topics that you might want to read:
- How to fix Minecraft Failed Attempt to Join Realm error on Windows 10
- How to Fix Age of Empires III has Stopped Responding Error on Windows 10
- How to Fix Forza Horizon 4 that won’t start on Windows 10 | Error Loading Game
- How to Fix Roblox Funky Friday that keeps lagging on Windows PC
- How to Fix The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt that randomly freezes on Windows 10