Are you having trouble with your Nintendo Switch and you’ve already exhausted the basic solutions? You should consider booting your Nintendo Switch to Recovery Mode so you can perform a factory reset.
Factory reset will delete games and saved game data all at once, a situation that most users would want to avoid. The good thing is, there’s another option in Recovery Mode that would let you wipe your Switch with a factory reset but without touching your game progress, user information, screenshots, and videos. Cool, right?
If you haven’t heard of Nintendo Switch Recovery Mode yet, this article should help.
What is Nintendo Switch Recovery Mode?
Recovery Mode in Nintendo Switch is an alternate software environment designed for technicians and users who may encounter bugs or errors that prevents them from going into System Settings.
In Recovery Mode, there are three things that you can do:
- update the system,
- restore factory settings without deleting save game data, and
- Factory reset.
Recovery Mode can come handy if you encounter a problem with your Switch and System Settings has become inaccessible. This can also be useful if your console is no longer responding or has become frozen and you can’t unfreeze it.
How to boot to Recovery Mode and get back your game Save Data on Nintendo Switch
Entering Nintendo Switch Recovery Mode is simple. All you have to do is to shut down the console and press three buttons. Learn what you need to do exactly by doing the steps below.
- Turn off your Nintendo Switch by pressing the Power button for several seconds.
It may take up to 12 seconds to access the Power options menu.
- Once you’ve turned off the console completely, press three buttons at the same time for several seconds.
These buttons are the POWER, VOLUME UP, AND VOLUME DOWN.
Keep pressing these buttons together until the Recovery Mode screen shows up.
- In the Recovery screen menu, select the Restore Factory Settings Without Deleting Save Data.
Make sure to take time reading the contents of the next page.
- Select Next button at the bottom.
- Select the red Restore Factory Settings Without Deleting Save Data button.
If you are positive that you want to factory reset your console, go ahead and press A on the red button.
- Wait for the system to finish the factory reset.
How to recover save data on Nintendo Swtich after a factory reset?
Once the Switch has finished performing the reset, all you have to do is to set it up again, download your games and DLCs, and continue from where you left off. The system should automatically scan for saved game data on its own so you can continue with your game progress.
The location of your screenshots and videos should also be unchanged so you only need to open the Album icon on the Home screen to access them.
- How To Change Date And Time On Nintendo Switch
- How To Fix Animal Crossing Black Screen Issue | Nintendo Switch
- How To Fix The Last Of Us Part 2 Crashing Or Won’t Load | PS4
- How To Fix PS4 Overheating When Playing Ghost Of Tsushima
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.