Discord is a popular VoIP online application for gamers in the gaming community. It allows you to interact with other players via voice, video or text chats. Although Discord is a solid application, there are also instances where certain issues can occur that users have experienced such as Discord is stuck on connecting. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series, we will talk about the causes and the recommended solutions that you can try to fix Discord Stuck on Connecting problem.
What to do if you experience Discord stuck on connecting
There are several factors that may have caused this particular problem to occur on Discord such as issues with the antivirus program, a bug in the application, DNS settings configurations to issues with the proxy server. If you are experiencing Discord stuck on connecting and sometimes discord not connecting at all issues, try the following solutions below to fix it.
But before performing any of the recommended solution below, its best to restart your computer first. This action refreshes your computer and removes any corrupt temporary data that could be causing this problem. Surprisingly this simple step can sometimes fix most of the issues with your computer.
Solution 1: Change Network Settings
As mentioned, one of the cause for this problem to occur if there are issues with the proxies enabled. There are times when proxies are enabled on your computer it can cause connecting issues with Discord. Therefore, to fix this you may need to disable proxy server settings.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows key + I on your keyboard. This will open Windows Settings
- Click Network & Internet.
- At left pane, click Proxy
- Under Manual proxy setup, toggle OFF the option Use a proxy server to turn it off.
- Exit Windows Settings
After disabling proxy server, Launch Discord and then check if Discord stuck on connecting problem still occurs.
An alternative way to do this:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open RUN dialog box.
- At RUN dialog box, type control and press Enter or click OK.
- Inside Control Panel, make sure “view by” is set to large icons.
- Click Network and Internet
- Click Internet options to open Internet Properties.
- Click connections tab.
- Under Local Area Network, click LAN settings
- Uncheck the option “Use a proxy server for your LAN”
Launch Discord and then check if Discord stuck on connecting problem still occurs.
Solution 2: Temporarily Disable Antivirus Program
Antivirus software protects the computer from threats that could harm the computer. Although it is essential, there are instances where the antivirus program can cause conflict with some applications wherein in this case Discord app. To know if this is what’s causing the problem, you should try to temporarily disable your antivirus program.
For Windows Defender Firewall, follow these steps:
- Click on Start button located at the lower left
- Click on Settings. An icon that looks like a gear to open Windows Settings section
- Click Update and Security
- Click Windows Security at left pane
- Click Firewall and Network Protection at right pane.
- Click on your Active profile
- Toggle OFF Microsoft Defender Firewall to turn it off.
- Search for the Avast icon in your computer’s system tray and double click on it.
- Click on Avast shields control.
- Locate the options to disable the program – the options are to disable it for 10 minutes, an hour, until the computer is restarted or permanently (until you yourself turn it back on). Select whatever option suits you best and use it to disable the program.
- Search for the AVG icon in your computer’s system tray and double click on it.
- Click on Temporarily disable AVG protection.
- Choose how long you want AVG to be turned off and whether you want AVG to disable its Firewall too.
- Click on OK to disable the antivirus program.
- Search for the McAfee Antivirus icon in your computer’s system tray and right click on it.
- Click on Exit.
- You should see a dialog box warning you that McAfee‘s protection will be turned off. Click on Yes in this dialog box to disable the antivirus program
After temporarily disabling your anti virus programs, restart your computer.
After computer completely reboots, launch Discord and then check if Discord still stuck on connecting problem.
Solution 3: Change DNS Settings
There are instances where DNS settings can cause Discord stuck on connecting problem. Issues with the DNS settings prevents Discord to establish a stable and secure internet connection that may have caused this problem. To fix this, you may need to make some changes in the DNS settings and see if it fixes the problem.
To do this:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open RUN dialog box
- At RUN dialog box, type “ncpa.cpl” and press Enter or click OK. This will open Network connections window.
- Right click on your internet connection and then select Properties from the drop down menu.
- Stay on Networking tab
- Locate and double click “Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Stay on General tab.
- Click the option “Use the following DNS server addresses automatically”
- At Preferred DNS server, input 18.104.22.168
- At Alternate DNS server, input 22.214.171.124
- Click OK to apply changes made.
Launch Discord and then check if Discord stuck on the connecting problem still occurs.
Solution 4: Reset Network Configurations
There have been reports from users that after resetting Network Configurations Discord stuck on connecting problem the problem was resolved.
To do this:
- Press Windows key + X on your keyboard.
- Click Windows PowerShell or Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- Inside PowerShell window, type the following command and press Enter after each command:
- Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter
- Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter
- Type ipconfig /release and press Enter
- Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
- Exit Powershell command window.
- Restart computer.
After computer completely reboots, launch Discord and then check if Discord stuck on the connecting problem still occurs.
Solution 5: Update Discord app
Updating the application fixes bug that may have caused this Discord stuck on connecting problem to occur. If none of the solutions mentioned above did not fix the problem, try to update discord app and then check if the problem will be fixed.
To do this:
- Open Discord app
- At Discord window, hold CTRL key and Press R Key on your keyboard. Discord will automatically restart and download any updates available. Wait for the update process to complete.
Check if Discord stuck on connecting problem still occurs.
Posts you might like