Discord is a VoIP application that is popular among gamers in the gaming community. Using your Windows 10 PC, it allows users playing games to interact with their teammates via voice and video chats or text messages for a more lively and interactive gaming experience. Although Discord is a stable platform there are instances where certain issues can occur which we will be addressing today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series, we will tackle the error Discord stops working and how to fix it.
How To Fix Error ‘Discord stops working in game’
There are several factors that can cause this particular problem ranging from microphone or voice access or administrator permissions to old drivers. Listed are the troubleshooting steps that you need to do to to be able to fix this problem, follow the steps below.
But before performing any of the recommended solution below, its recommended to restart your computer first. This refreshes your computer system and remove any corrupt temporary data that could be causing the problem. Surprisingly this simple step can sometimes fix most of the issues encountered with your computer.
Disable Antivirus Program
Estimate Cost : 0
Time Needed : 3 minutes
Antivirus programs protects computers from all forms of threats that could potentially harm your computer however sometimes it prevents certain application from running smoothly. To know if this is what's causing the problem, you should try to temporarily disable your antivirus program.
For Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- Click on Start button located at the lower left
Or you can just press the windows key on your keyboard.
- Click on Settings
An icon that looks like a gear to open Windows Settings section.
- Open Update and Security
This will bring you to the update and security settings page.
- Click on Windows Security at the left pane.
More security options will then be displayed.
- Click on Firewall and network protection
Firewall and network protection located at the Protection Areas section.
- Locate and click on your Active profile
This will open your network's security settings page.
- Toggle OFF Microsoft Defender Firewall.
This should fix the problem.
- Windows 10
Allow Discord Microphone Access
There are instances wherein microphone is denying your access to Discord. Since using Discord requires you to use audio and microphone input device and you are having issues with it, the very first thing you need to do is to troubleshoot using the method below.
- Click on Start button located at the lower left.
- Click on Settings, an icon that looks like a gear.
- Click on Privacy
- Under App permissions at the left panel, go to the Microphone tab and click on it.
- Click on Change tab, make sure it is enabled.
- See ‘Allow apps to access your microphone’ tab is enabled. If not switch the slider option to ON to enable mic
- Make sure ‘Allow Desktop apps to access your microphone’ tab is enabled. If not switch the slider option to ON to enable mic
- Scroll down to the list of desktop apps and locate Discord.
For older Windows versions:
- Type Control Panel at the search bar
- Select Hardware and Sound
- Select Sound
- Select Recording tab, make sure is Enabled.
- Select the Microphone you are using and choose Properties.
- Choose ‘Use this device’ option from the drop down menu of Device usage option.
- Choose apply to apply changes made.
- Choose OK to exit Properties Section.
Check to see if Discord stop working in game problem still occurs.
Disable Discord Overlay
- Open Discord, it is usually located on your Desktop. If not you can search from Start Menu.
- Navigate to User Settings on Discord . An icon that looks like a gear located at the lower part next to your username.
- Click on Overlay option at the left pane under App Settings.
- Toggle OFF by sliding the slider to the left the Enable in-game overlay option to Disable it.
- Select Esc at the top left to exit User Settings.
Check to see if Discord stops working in game problem still occurs.
Update Sound Device Drivers
Make sure that Sound Device Drivers are updated and is currently on the latest version to prevent experiencing issues on your computer and improve its performance.
- Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open Run dialog box.
- At Run Dialog Box type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter or select OK to open device manager.
- At Device manager section, Select Sound, Video and game controllers to expand it.
- Select and tick the right side of your mouse on each of the entry on the list, and choose Update Driver from the drop down menu. A new window opens.
- Select ‘Search Automatically for Drivers’ option. It will automatically find newer drivers. Wait for the process to complete.
- Once process is complete, Select Close to exit.
- Repeat the same steps for the rest of devices.
After updating to the latest driver, Check if Discord working in game error still occurs.
Update the Discord app and Windows for Discord Not working Error
In case the above mentioned steps and solution fails to fix the problem, then you should update Windows 10 and Discord app to making sure it is running the latest versions.
To update Windows
- Press Start located at the lower left
- Select Settings, an icon that looks like a gear to open Windows settings section.
- Select Update and Security
- Select Check for Updates. It will now search for update and install the latest update if there are any. Wait for the process to complete.
To update Discord
- Open Discord app
- At Discord window, hold CTRL key and Press R Key on your keyboard.
- Discord will automatically restart and download any updates available.
Check if Discord working in game problem still occurs.