Are you experiencing the HBO Max not working on Samsung TV issue? There are several factors that can cause this problem such as a poor internet connection, Samsung TV compatibility issues , outdated HBO Max app, or even an outdated Samsung TV software. To fix this you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
HBO Max is a popular streaming platform that offers HBO’s library of shows and movies as well as content from Warner Media. It includes popular shows such as The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings films series, and the Studio Ghibli catalog just to name a few. It’s available in the United States as well as more than 5o countries worldwide.
Why does HBO Max keep crashing on Samsung TV?
One of the issues that Samsung TV owners might encounter with the HBO Max app is when it fails to work. This can be a frustrating experience especially if you want to watch your favorite show.
Here’s what HBO Max subscribers can do to fix the app not working on Samsung Smart TV issue.
Solution 1: Check your internet connection
Since HBO Max is a streaming service it needs an internet connection to work properly. If you have a slow internet speed or have internet connectivity issues then there’s a possibility that the HBO Max app will just get stuck on the loading screen or simply not work at all on your Samsung TV.
What you will want to do first is to check your connection speed.
Checking your internet speed
- Open a browser on your Samsung Smart TV.
- Go to speedtest.net. This is an online speed test tool that is free to use.
- Click on Go. This will start the speed test.
In order for the HBO Max app to stream content you should have a fast and stable connection. The results should match your subscription plan from your internet service provider.
The recommended speed to view shows on the HBO Max app are as follows:
- 5 Mbps – 1080p streaming.
- 10 Mbps – Recommended speed for 1080p streaming.
- 25 Mbps-UHD (4K) streaming.
- 50 Mbps – for stable 4K streaming.
If you have a slow or no internet then you can check if this is caused by an issue with your Wi-Fi network.
- Turn off your Samsung TV.
- Unplug your Modem and Router from the power source.
- Wait for a minute then plug your modem and router back into the power source.
- Wait until the lights turn back on.
- Turn on the Samsung TV.
- Reconnect the Samsung TV to the internet.
Try to check if the HBO Max not working issue still occurs
Here’s what you can do to get a stable internet signal.
- Try to disconnect other devices connected to the Wi-Fi router while you use HBO Max. This will allow HBO Max to use the maximum internet bandwidth.
- Move the Samsung Smart TV closer to the router . This will allow the device to get a much stronger Wi-Fi signal strength.
- If you have a dual band router try to connect the Roku streaming device to the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4.
Solution 2: Check for HBO Max streaming service outage
One of the reasons why the HBO Max app will not work is if there is a service outage. You can check the status of the HBO Max server by going to a third party server checker such as DownDetector.
Another way to check for a server outage is by checking the social media accounts of HBO Max such as Twitter. The company will usually post updates regarding any server issues.
If there is a reported outage then you will have to wait for this to be resolved.
Solution 3: Power cycle the Samsung Smart TV
One of the reasons why the HBO Max app will not work on your Samsung Smart Tv is if the TV is experiencing a temporary software glitch. Power cycling the Samsung TV will usually fix this problem.
Power Cycle Samsung TV
Unplug the Samsung Smart TV from its primary power source then wait for a minute.
Plug the Samsung Smart TV.
Turn on the TV then reopen HBO Max app and check if it is now working.
Solution 4: Uninstall then Install HBO Max application
There’s a possibility that the HBO Max app will not work on your Samsung Smart TV because it is corrupted or is outdated. In order to fix this you can just uninstall then reinstall the HBO Max app.
Reinstalling the HBO Max app on Samsung TVs
Press the Home button on your remote control.
Go to Apps on your Samsung TV.
Select HBO Max app and then Delete.
Press the Home button on your remote control again.
Select the Search icon in the top-right corner.
Enter HBO Max and select it. You’ll see details about the app as well as screenshots and related apps.
Select Install. This will download HBO Max.
Try checking if this new HBO app is now working.
Solution 5: Check if your Samsung TV is compatible with the HBO Max app
The HBO Max app will only work with certain Samsung TV models. If your Samsung TV model is older than 2016, it is not compatible with the HBO Max app.
If your Samsung TV is indeed incompatible there is still a way for you to enjoy the HBO Max streaming service and this is by getting a streaming device such as a Fire Stick, Roku, or Chromecast.
Solution 5: Reset Smart Hub
The Samsung Smart Hub is a menu system used by your Samsung TV which allows you to access to all the functions, browse the internet, install and use various apps, view photos and videos or listen to music stored on external storage devices on your TV.
Sometimes a glitch in the Samsung Hub in Smart TVs will prevent the HBO Max app from working. To fix this you should try to reset the Smart hub.
Reset Smart Hub on Smart TV
Power on your Smart TV
Press Smart Hub button from your Remote Control.
Press the blue letter D button from your Remote Control so as to open Setting options in Smart Hub.
Select the Reset option and press enter from remote control.
Enter the default password as ‘0000’ . Smart Hub automatically resets and displays ‘Reset Complete’ confirmation message.
Press ‘OK’ to complete the reset process.
Solution 6: Perform a software update on your Samsung TV
If your Samsung TV is running no an older software version then this might be the reason why the HBO Max app is not working. You need to get the latest software update for Samsung TVs as this will come with the latest performance enhancements as well as bug fixes that can address this problem.
Updating Samsung Tv software
- Turn on your Samsung TV
- Connect your Samsung TV to the Internet.
- Press the Menu or Home button on your Samsung remote.
- Select Settings menu by using the Samsung TV remote.
- Find Support in the left panel and select it by the TV’s remote.
- Select Software Update.
- Select the option of Auto Update to set your Samsung Smart TV update automatically
You can also manually update your Samsung TV’s software by following these steps.
- Search for your TV’s model code on the Samsung Support website and then download the Upgrade file.
- Unzip the contents and store it on your USB drive.
- Insert the USB drive into the USB slot on your TV.
- The firmware update will start automatically.
Solution 6: Factory Reset Samsung TV
If you still can’t get the HBO Max app to work on your Samsung TV then you should consider doing a factory reset. This will bring back the TV to its default factory settings and usually fix any problems caused by a corrupted Samsung TV software.
Factory reset Samsung TV software
- Open Settings, and then select General.
- Select Reset
- Enter your PIN (0000 is the default).
- Select Reset.
- To complete the reset, select OK.
- Your TV will restart automatically.
After performing the reset try to check if the HBO Max app is now working on Samsung TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What to do when HBO Max app does not download on Samsung TV?
This could be due to your Samsung TV not connected to the internet. Make sure that the TV is properly connected to your Wi-Fi network.
- What to do when the HBO Max app does not open on Samsung TV?
This could be due to a TV software glitch or lack of internet connection. Try restarting your Samsung Tv then make sure that it is getting a good internet connection speed.
- What do I do when the HBO Max app does not appear on my Samsung TV?
Try checking if you have uninstalled the app and if you have then just reinstall it. It's also possible that the HBO Max app is not showing on the Samsung TV app section because your TV is not compatible with the app. If this is the case then you can use a streaming device such as a Firestick or Chromecast to access the HBO Max streaming service.
- Why can't I install HBO Max app?
The HBO Max app is only available in certain countries around the world. If you would like to avail of this streaming service when outside the coverage area then you should consider using a VPN.
- How many devices can stream HBO Max at once?
You are only allowed to stream to three devices at once. If you stream on more than three devices you will get an error message.