Firmware updates are very important as they often contain fixes and security patch and the same is true with your Garmin Fenix 5 Plus. Garmin rolls out updates every now and then to address user-reported problems. However, there were users who reported that they couldn’t update their device and that’s really a bugger.
In this post, I will walk you through in troubleshooting your Garmin Fenix 5 Plus that’s not updating its firmware. I will share with you the most common and effective solutions to this problem. So, if you’re one of the owners of this device, continue reading as this article may be able to help you.
Before we move, if you have been looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our Fenix 5 Plus troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. Find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use our solutions. If you need more help, fill up our questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Here are the things you need to do if your Fenix 5 Plus isn’t updating…
- Restart both your smartphone and your smartwatch.
- Make sure both devices are properly connected.
- Try updating the Software Using Garmin Connect Mobile.
- Update the Software Using Garmin Express.
The first thing your must do if your Fenix 5 Plus isn’t updating its software is by restarting both your phone and the watch. This will refresh the memories of both devices and it might be the only thing you have to do. You need to do this after verifying that there’s a firmware update available for download.
After the reboot, make sure that the connection between the devices are stable. Your smartwatch should be able to receive notifications and other services should work properly especially ones that only work with the smartphone. You can try turning off the Bluetooth in your phone and enabling it again to refresh the connection.
As long as you have a Garmin account, the Garmin Connect Mobile app will automatically update your watch if new update is available. If this doesn’t work however, then try updating your Fenix 5 Plus using Garmin Express on your computer. Before you can update your device software, you must download and install the Garmin Express application and add your device.
- Connect the device to your computer using the USB cable.
- When new software is available, the Garmin Express application sends it to your device.
- After the Garmin Express application finishes sending the update, disconnect the device from your computer.
- Your device installs the update.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!
- What to do with Garmin Fenix 5 Plus that can’t receive notifications from phone
- How to fix Garmin Fenix 5 Plus that’s not syncing