One Android user asks us for help regarding a Galaxy J5 Pro with a screen that won’t work (stays black). The interesting thing is that camera app can be accessed by double tapping the Home button. If you have a similar issue on your Galaxy J5 Pro, or any Android device, learn what to do by following our suggestion below.
Problem: Galaxy J5 Pro screen stays black (but camera app is working)
Hi there. I have a dual sim J5 pro and since last night (around 12 hours now), my phone has had a black screen home screen. however i can access the camera by tapping the middle button twice and the power key gives me the option to restart, power off or emergency mode. have tried restarting, same thing. it loads, verifies my pattern. sometimes, i get 2 second of my home screen then back to black. same with the power off and resetting it by holding all the keys for 10 seconds.
also managed to get it into safe mode but it was then just a black screen that said safe mode at the bottom i couldn’t do anything further.
a month or so ago i had to do a factory reset as it kept freezing and lagging which had steadily got worse over a few months which seemed to fix this issue. i’ve only had this phone since mid april (8 months ;( and its a pain in the arse) any help lol?
Solution: The cause of the problem is apparently not due to a downloaded app since the same thing happens on safe mode. Because the phone is not totally dead and even works when using the camera shortcut, there must a software bug behind this trouble. The best thing that you can do is to factory reset it via Recovery Mode. Doing so will return all software settings to their known working state. However, it will also erase any unsaved data your have including photos and videos in your Gallery app. Unfortunately, there’s no other way to save them since you are unable to navigate. In case some of your photos were stored in an SD card, make sure to remove the card first and transfer its contents to a computer. Afterwards, follow the steps below to factory or master reset your J5 Pro:
- Turn off the device. This is important. If you can’t turn it off, you’ll never be able to boot to Recovery Mode. If you are not able to shut the device off regularly via the Power button, wait until the phone’s battery is drained. Then, charge the phone for 30 minutes before booting to Recovery Mode.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
- When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset’.
- Press Power button to select.
- Press the Volume down key until ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted.
- Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
- When the master reset is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.