The JBL Link Portable will not turn on can be caused by several issues. The battery might be drained, there might be a glitch in the software, or this might be caused by a hardware problem. To fix this you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
The Link Portable is a Bluetooth speaker that not only allows you to play your favorite music from your phone but also access Google Assistant. It provides crystal clear audio in every direction making it ideal to be placed at the center of the room. Some of its features include wireless streaming via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, IPX7 waterproof body, and 8 hours of playtime on a single full charge.
Technical Specs of JBL Link Portable:
- Transducer: 1 x 49mm
- Output power: 1 x 20W
- Frequency response: 65Hz–20kHz
- Signal-to-noise ratio: >80dB
- Battery type: Lithium-ion Polymer (3.6V, 4800mAh)
- Battery charge time: 3.5 hours @5V,2A
- Music play time: up to 8 hours (varies by volume level and content)
- Wireless streaming: Wi-Fi, Chromecast built-in, AirPlay 2 and Bluetooth
- Wireless network: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz)
- Bluetooth version: 4.2
- Supported audio formats: HE-AAC, LC-AAC,
- MP3, Vorbis, WAV (LPCM), FLAC, Opus
- Dimensions (Dia x H): 88 x 170mm
- Weight: 735g
What to do when your JBL Link Portable won’t turn on
One issue that you might encounter with your Link Portable Bluetooth speaker is when it does not turn on. This can be an annoying issue especially if you want to listen to your favorite music. Here are the troubleshooting steps you need to do to fix the problem
Method 1: Perform a factory reset on JBL Link Portable
The first thing you will need to do is a factory reset or hard reset. This is a procedure that deletes the data stored on this Bluetooth speaker and brings it back to its default settings. This is a useful troubleshooting step to do when you are experiencing problems with the device such as when you can’t make a Bluetooth connection or when it doesn’t turn on.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
Reset the speaker
- Remove the charging cord from the speaker.
This will ensure that the device will not be charging.
- Press and hold the Power button and Mute button.
Do this for around 10-15 seconds until the speaker restarts.
Method 2: Charge the speaker
If the battery of the speaker is drained of charge then you won’t be able to turn this on. To fix this you will just need to charge the speaker.
- Insert the USB-C charging cord into the charging port of the speaker.
- Insert the other end of the USB-C charging cord to a USB wall charger with an output of at least 1.0A and not greater than 2.0A.
- Connect the wall charger to a power outlet.
Leave this charging for at least 3.5 hours then check if the device will turn on.
Method 3: Faulty battery
If the battery of the speaker is defective then you won’t be able to turn on this device. Replacing the battery will fix this however it is recommended that you have this done at a service center.
Some of the causes why a battery will fail is if it is constantly being overcharged or when it is always being exposed to heat. These factors will rapidly degrade the battery performance.
Method 4: Faulty circuit board
Even if this speaker has a waterproof rating there are still instances when water can get into it. If the circuit board gets wet then it will get damaged. You will then need to have this fixed at a service center.
Having power issues on this Bluetooth speaker can be a frustrating experience. Hopefully, this solution will help you fix the problem.
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.