The Google Play Store error 8 that seems to be bugging some owners of Samsung Galaxy S9 occurs when the user is trying to install an application. It’s a pesky little problem but not really that serious. In fact, you may be able to get rid of it by doing a couple of troubleshooting procedures and you surely won’t need a technician to fix it for you.
In this post, I will walk you through in troubleshooting your Samsung Galaxy S9 that keeps showing the Play Store error 8. I will give you the troubleshooting procedures we’ve been using in addressing this problem. So, if you’re one of the users that’s having similar issue, continue reading as this post may be able to help you one way or another.
Now, before anything else, if you have other issues with your phone, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already provided solutions to hundreds of problems reported by our readers. Odds are that we may have already provided a solution to the problem you currently have so try to find issues that are similar with yours on that page and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance, fill up our Android issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Troubleshooting Galaxy S9 with Play Store error 8
In troubleshooting problems like this, you need to be thorough to determine what causes the problem. Take note that while others may get the same error, the cause could be different. With that said, here are the things you need to do to fix this problem…
- Perform Soft Reset
- Clear Play Store Cache and Data.
- Run your Phone in Safe mode.
- Remove Google Account and Add it back again.
- Perform Master Reset.
First Solution: Perform Soft Reset
Before you do any troubleshooting procedure it is imperative that you figure out if the issue is caused by a glitch in the system. More often, issue like this is just a software-related problem and it could be fixed through soft reset. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press and hold the volume down button and don’t release it.
- While holding down the volume button, press and hold the power key as well.
- Keep both keys held down together for 15 seconds or until you see the S9 logo.
Once the procedure is done and your device is ready you can open Play Store and download any app and see if the error 8 still occurs. But if it continues, proceed to the next method.
Second Solution: Clear Play Store Cache and Data
If the Play Store error 8 contiues after the first procedure, it’s necessary to delete Play Store cache and data to be sure that outdated or corrupt files are not causing the error message. This will bring your Play Store app back to its default settings. Don’t you worry, this method is effective and won’t damage your phone. This is how it’s done:
- Open Settings app.
- Tap Apps.
- Tap on More settings at the upper right (three-dot icon).
- Select Show system apps.
- Find and tap Google Play Store.
- Tap Storage.
- Tap Clear Data button.
- Restart your phone and check for the problem.
After resetting the Play Store and rebooting your phone, try downloading any app to see if the error 8 still shows up. If it still does, then move on to the next procedure.
Third Solution: Run your phone in Safe mode
This will temporarily disable all third-apps and will isolate the problem. If the issue is caused by one of apps you downloaded, then you should be able to download or install apps while in Safe mode. So, while in this mode observe closely and see if the problem will occur again. This is how you run your phone in safe mode:
- Turn the device off.
- Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen appearing on the screen.
- When SAMSUNG appears on the screen, release the Power key.
- Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
- Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
- When Safe mode appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, release the Volume down key.
- While in Safe mode, you can now uninstall apps that are causing a problem.
While in this mode, download and install any app and see if the error 8 still pops up. If it still does, try the next solution.
Fourth Solution: Remove Google Account and Add it back again
If the error still shows up in safe mode then, the next thing that we suggest you to do is to remove your Google account to determine if it is a syncing problem. After removing your account add it back again and restart your device. Once the phone is ready try to download any app and wait if the error 8 shows. If it does, then you don’t have a choice but follow the next step.
Fifth Solution: Perform Master Reset
When it comes to firmware issues, a reset can always fix them. However, we are always hesitant to suggest this procedure without first exhausting all possible solutions. This will bring the phone back to its default settings and all files and data saved in the internal storage will be deleted. So, before you can do the procedure be sure to transfer all your files to your Personal computer or SD card. But before you can do so, we suggest you to remove your Google account to avoid your Galaxy S9 from locked out.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
- When the Galaxy S9 logo shows, release all keys.
- Your phone will continue to boot into the recovery mode and once you see the black screen with blue and yellow texts, you’re ready to proceed to the next step.
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset’.
- Press Power button to select.
- Press the Volume down key until ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted.
- Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
- When the master reset is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix your Samsung Galaxy S9 with Play Store error 8. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter.