Is the Disney Plus app not working on your Vizio TV? There are several factors that can cause this problem such as a poor internet connection, server outage, Disney Plus app glitch, or even an error on your Vizio Smart TV. To fix ,this you will need to perform several troubleshooting steps.
Vizio is an American company, formerly known as V Inc., that sells various TV and soundbar models. Vizio Smart TVs are relatively inexpensive yet offer several outstanding features making it the ideal choice for the budget consumer. There are various models to choose from ranging from the regular LED TV with Full HD display up to the 75 inch Vizio Smart TV with a QLED display.
Why Is My Disney Plus App Not Working On My Vizio Smart TV?
One of the issues that you might encounter on your Vizio Smart TV is when the Disney Plus app does not work. The app might freeze, buffer, or not open at all preventing you from accessing your favorite shows such as Star Wars, National Geographic, or the popular Marvel movies.
Here’s what you can do to fix the Disney Plus app issue on Vizio Smart TVs.
Solution 1: Power cycle your your Vizio TV
The first thing you need to do when you are having an issue with the Disney Plus app on Vizio Tvs is to do a power cycle. This is basically just restarting your Vizio TV which will allow it to refresh its operating system as well as its apps.
Power cycle Vizio Smart TV
- Turn off the Vizio smart tv.
- Remove all the devices plugged into your Vizio smart tv.
- Unplug the Vizio tv from the power outlet.
- Press the physical power button on your Vizio smart tv for about 30 seconds.
- Wait for 10 minutes.
- Connect the previously disconnected devices to your Vizio tv.
- Plug the Vizio TV into the power outlet.
- Turn on your Vizio tv using your remote control.
After performing the steps listed above try to check if the Disney Plus app is now working.
Solution 2: Check the internet connection
You need to make sure that your Vizio TV is has a good internet connection from your Wi-Fi network. If your Wi-Fi network does not have any connection or if the connection is slow then you will be experiencing issues running the streaming apps such as Netflix or Disney Plus in your TV.
Checking your internet speed
- Open a browser on your Vizio TV or smartphone connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your TV.
- Go to speedtest.net. This is an online speed test tool that is free to use.
- Click on Go. This will start the speed test.
In order for the Disney Plus app to stream content you should have a fast and stable connection. The results should match your subscription plan from your internet service provider.
The recommended speed to view shows on Disney Plus are as follows:
- 5.0 Mbps for High Definition content
- 25.0 Mbps for 4K UHD content
If you have a slow or no internet then you can check if this is caused by an issue with your Wi-Fi network.
- Turn off your Vizio TV.
- Unplug your Modem and Router from the power source.
- Wait for a minute then plug your modem and router back into the power source.
- Wait until the lights turn back on.
- Turn on the Vizio TV.
- Reconnect the Vizio TV to the internet.
Try to check if the Disney Plus app now works.
Here’s what you can do to get a stable internet signal.
- Try to disconnect other devices connected to the Wi-Fi router while you use Disney Plus app. This will allow the Disney Plus app to use the maximum internet bandwidth.
- Move the Vizio TV closer to the router . This will allow the device to get a much stronger Wi-Fi signal strength.
- If you have a dual band router try to connect your TV to the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4.
Solution 3: Check for Disney Plus service outage
One factor that can cause the Disney Plus app to have issues on your Vizio TV is if there is a service outage. If there is a server outage then the app will not work and you won’t be able to watch your favorite movies. You can check the status of the Disney Plus server by going to a third party server checker such as DownDetector.
Another way to check for a server outage is by checking the social media accounts of Disney Plus such as Twitter. The company will usually post updates regarding any server issues.
If there is a reported outage then you will have to wait for this to be resolved.
Solution 4: Clear Your Disney Plus App Cache
One of the factors that can cause the Disney Plus app to fail to work on your Vizio Smartcast TVs is due to a glitch in the app itself. Force closing the app then opening it again will usually fix this problem.
Force close Disney Plus app
- Press the V button or the home button on your remote.
- Select System from the menu.
- Go to Apps.
- Click System Apps.
- Select the Disney+ app.
- Click Clear Cache.
- Press OK.
Open the app then check if the issue still occurs.
Solution 5: Reinstall the Disney Plus application
Vizio TV owners will usually experience Disney app issues if the app itself is corrupted. In order to fix this you will need to uninstall the app then install a fresh version.
Reinstalling Disney app
- On your VIZIO TV remote, press the Home button.
- Select Disney+ from the Apps menu and tap and hold the center button.
- Select Uninstall or Delete Disney+ App from the pop-up menu.
- Go to the apps section of your VIZIO Smart TV and search for the Disney+ app, then install it.
- Wait for the app to download and install on your VIZIO smart tv, then connect with your login credentials.
Solution 6: Update the Vizio TV to the latest firmware
You should make sure that your Vizio TV has the latest software update installed to remove any existing bugs that might be present in the current firmware version of your TV which is causing issues with apps.
Updating Vizio firmware
- Press the Menu button on the Vizio tv remote.
- Locate the System tab and select check for updates.
- If any update is available then download it.
After the new firmware has been installed try to check if the issue still occurs.
Solution 7: Check for geo-restrictions
The Disney Plus streaming service is only available in certain countries such as the United States, Netherlands, Canada, and the UK. It will however expand to more countries soon. If you are in an area where the app is noy yet available then the only way you can access this is by using a VPN.
Solution 8: Factory reset your Vizio TV
Sometimes a corrupted TV settings or a glitch in the TV software can cause this problem. In order to fix this you will need to perform a factory reset. This will allow you TV to go back factory defaults.
Reset to factory settings
Using the Vizio remote, navigate to the menu.
Go to Settings, then System, and finally OK.
Select “Reset TV to factory defaults”.
If you do not have the parental code, when requested for a password, enter 0 0 0 0 0.
Choose “Reset” and hit OK.
Allow your television to switch off.
Once the restart operation has been completed you will need to setup the TV.
Set up the Disney+ app then check if you are still experiencing issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I download Disney plus on my Vizio Smart TV?
Press the V button on your Vizio remote control to access the SmartCast Home screen. Then look for the Disney Plus e app under the “Apps” section and select the icon to launch it. The app is already pre-installed in your TV.
- Why can't I get Disney plus on my Vizio Smart TV?
You should try updating your TV firmware as the old firmware version might not support the app yet.
- Disney Plus Not Casting to Vizio TV
You need to make sure that your TV and the device that is running the Disney app are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Is there a way to get Disney Plus on an older Vizio TVs?
The three alternative solutions to get Disney Plus on an older TV is by using Roku, Amazon Firestick, or Chromecast.
- Why is my Disney Plus show buffering?
You should check the network status as this buffering is usually caused by a slow internet connection.