Do you want to know how to unsilence calls on iPhone? There are various factors that can cause your incoming calls to be silenced such as a phone setting issue, sleep schedule is active, call forwarding, or even the phone connected to a Bluetooth device. To fix this you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
The iPhone is a popular smartphone designed and marketed by Apple. It was first introduced in 2007 and has since become one of the most sought-after gadgets in the world. The iPhone runs on Apple’s proprietary iOS operating system and comes equipped with a range of features including a high-quality camera, advanced sensors, and a powerful processor. Over the years, the iPhone has undergone several upgrades, making it an indispensable tool for both personal and professional use.
Why are my incoming calls being silenced on my iPhone?
One of the issues that you might experience on your iPhone is that incoming phone calls are being silenced. This can be a frustrating experience as you will most likely not be able to know when someone is calling you.
It is probable that your iPhone has been muted due to the activation of a setting or switch if you have observed that incoming calls and notifications are not producing any sound or vibrations.
Here’s what you can do to unsilence calls on iPhone.
Solution 1: Toggle the mute switch
The mute switch is a physical button located on the left side of the iPhone that allows users to easily silence incoming calls and notifications. When the switch is turned on, the phone is set to silent mode, and no sound or vibration will be produced when calls or notifications come in. This feature is useful when in a meeting, movie theater, or other situations where a ringing phone would be disruptive.
To turn off silent mode on your iPhone, simply locate the physical button on the left side of the phone and slide it towards the back of the phone until the orange color disappears. Once the switch is turned off, your phone will be set to normal mode, and incoming calls and notifications will produce sound and vibrations as usual.
Solution 2: Turn off Do Not Disturb mode
The Do Not Disturb mode on the iPhone is a feature that allows users to silence incoming phone calls, notifications, and alerts from anyone who is not on their Favorites or Contacts list. When activated, the mode will block all incoming calls and send them directly to voicemail, while notifications and alerts will be muted.
To turn off Do Not Disturb mode on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Access the Control Center by swiping downward from the upper-right corner of the Home or Lock screen.
- Tap Focus.
- Tap Do Not Disturb to turn on or off.
Solution 3: Increase ringer volume
If you’re experiencing silent phone calls on your iPhone, adjusting the volume may help fix the issue. To turn up the volume on your iPhone, try the following steps:
- Check the ringer and alert volume. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and drag the “Ringer and Alerts” slider to the right to increase the volume. This will adjust the volume for incoming calls and notifications.
- Make sure that your ringtone is audible. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and select a ringtone that is loud enough to hear. You can also preview the ringtone to make sure it’s audible.
- Use the volume buttons located on the left side of your iPhone to adjust the volume. Press the volume up button to increase the volume by one level.
- Check the volume slider in Control Center. Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open Control Center, then drag the volume slider to the right to increase the volume.
- If you’re using a Bluetooth device, make sure that the volume on the device is turned up as well. Adjust the Bluetooth device volume to ensure that it’s not causing the issue.
- If you’re still having issues, make sure that the alert volume is turned up. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and make sure that the “Change with Buttons” switch is turned on. This will allow you to adjust the alert volume using the volume button on the left side of your iPhone.
Solution 4: Turn off Silence Unknown Callers feature
“Silence Unknown Callers” is a feature available on iPhones that helps users avoid unwanted phone calls from telemarketers or robocalls. When this feature is enabled, your iPhone will automatically silence calls from phone numbers that are not in your contacts, recent calls list, or Siri Suggestions. Instead of ringing, these calls will go straight to voicemail.
If you are not getting any alerts from an incoming call coming from an unknown number then you should try to disable the silence unknown callers feature.
To turn off the “Silence Unknown Callers” feature on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Phone” option.
- Find the “Silence Unknown Callers” switch and toggle it to the off position.
- If prompted, confirm that you want to turn off the feature.
Solution 5: Disable call forwarding
Call forwarding is a feature available on iPhones that allows you to forward incoming calls to another phone number. This can be useful if you need to temporarily route your calls to a different number, such as when you are traveling or if you have multiple phone numbers.
To turn off call forwarding on your Apple iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “Phone” option.
- Select “Call Forwarding” and toggle the switch to the off position.
- If prompted, confirm that you want to turn off call forwarding.
Solution 6: Disable sleep schedule
If your Sleep Schedule is turned on, your incoming phone calls will be automatically silenced, which can result in missed call notifications. To ensure that you receive all your incoming call notifications, it is important to turn off the Sleep Schedule on your iPhone.
- Go to Health App
- On the bottom-right of your screen, Tap on Browse.
- Tap on Sleep.
- Open Sleep Schedule.
- Switch the toggle toward the left to turn off the Sleep Schedule. This will disable sleep mode.
Solution 7: Restart your iPhone
If you’re experiencing issues with silent iPhone calls, a quick and easy solution is to restart your device. Restarting your iPhone can help to refresh its system and resolve any software issues that may be causing the problem.
To restart your iPhone, follow these simple steps:
- Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
- Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off.
- To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I unsilence calls on my iPhone?
To unsilence calls on your iPhone, ensure that your device's ringer and alert volume are turned up. You can adjust this by going to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and moving the slider for Ringer and Alerts to the right.
- Why are my incoming calls being silenced on my iPhone?
There could be various reasons why your incoming calls are being silenced on your iPhone. One reason could be that you have the “Do Not Disturb” feature enabled, which automatically silences calls during designated quiet hours. To turn off this feature, go to Settings > Do Not Disturb.
- How do I hear incoming calls on my Bluetooth devices?
To hear incoming calls on your Bluetooth devices, ensure that your device is connected to your Bluetooth device and that the device's sound is turned up. You can check this by going to Settings > Bluetooth and ensuring that your device is connected.
- What do I do if I missed a call on my silenced iPhone?
If you missed a call on your silenced iPhone, you can check your device's missed call history by going to the Phone app and tapping on “Recents.” You can also turn off the “Silence Unknown Callers” feature to ensure that you receive all incoming calls.
- How do I turn off auto-answer on my iPhone?
To turn off auto-answer on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Call Audio Routing and select “Speaker” instead of “Automatic.”
- What should I do if I am still experiencing issues with silenced calls on my iPhone?
If you are still experiencing issues with silenced calls on your iPhone, you may want to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can help you troubleshoot the issue and provide you with additional solutions