A device can become sluggish after implementing a new system update especially when apps go rogue after updating, critical data are corrupted, or when the memory gets full. These problems have no definite solutions unless the underlying cause is predetermined.
Tackled in this post is a relevant issue on the HTC U12/U12 Plus following the latest system update implementation. I’ve also outlined some simple solutions for you to try on. Read on to find out what to do if your HTC smartphone suddenly becomes sluggish or running very slow after an update.
Now, before anything else, if you have other issues with your phone, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already provided solutions to hundreds of problems reported by our readers. Odds are that we may have already provided a solution to the problem you currently have so try to find issues that are similar with yours on that page and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance, fill up our Android issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
First solution: End all background apps then reboot (soft reset) your phone.
Background apps that have gone rogue from an update installation might have slowed down your device. Background apps are those apps you’ve previously used but not closed. They’re in standby mode and still running in the background. Keeping apps running while installing a system update on the phone would increase the chance of them getting corrupted. This is when adverse symptoms are triggered. As resolution, clear all background apps on your HTC U12/U12 Plus with these steps:
- Press the Recent Apps key.
- Flip through the app preview cards to navigate between apps and then swipe an app preview left or right to close it.
- Or you can also tap Clear All to close all running apps at once.
Once you’re done clearing background apps, reboot/soft reset your HTC U12/12 Plus to clear and refresh its memory. Doing so allows the phone system to perform better in the next run. Here’s how to soft reset your HTC U12 or U12 Plus smartphone:
- Press and hold down the Power button for a few seconds.
- Select Power off from the menu options then tap OK to turn off your phone.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button again until the phone restarts.
This process does not affect any saved data on the phone’s internal storage so you won’t lose any personal information from doing so.
Second solution: Check and manage internal memory of your phone.
Insufficient memory and memory-related issues on the phone can also affect its overall performance. Sluggishness, random to frequent lags, and frozen display are among the common symptoms. If you’re fond of downloading huge apps and multimedia files on your device, then you’re likely dealing with a memory-related symptom. That said, check and ensure that your phone has ample of memory space to perform accordingly. Follow these steps to check the current memory status of your HTC U12/U12 Plus:
- Tap System.
- Select Memory. You will then see a new screen that shows how much memory is available and how your device’s memory is being used.
To view how the memory is utilized by individual apps, continue with these steps:
- Tap on Memory used by apps. Doing so will show details about memory usage for apps.
- Tap to select the current duration and then select the period of time you want to view.
- Tap the Menu icon (three vertical dots) to continue.
- Then select the option to Sort by max use. This will show the peak memory usage for apps in the list.
- To see details about an app’s memory usage, tap the name of the app in the list.
If you see any app using a significant amount of your phone’s memory for a specific duration, then you’ll need to manage that app. If necessary, remove all unwanted apps and other contents you no longer used to free up space of your phone’s internal storage.
Third solution: Enable safe mode and manage apps.
Booting your device in safe mode can help you determine whether or not the symptoms you’re dealing with are caused by third-party applications. Only the built-in apps and services are permitted to run in safe mode, thus makes it easier for you to determine the underlying cause. So try enabling safe mode on your HTC U12/U12 Plus with these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the menu options show up.
- Then tap and hold Power off option. Your phone will restart and you should see Safe Mode at the lower portion of the screen.
You can also use the hardware keys to restart your device in safe mode. Here’s how:
- Press the Power button to turn on your phone.
- As soon as you see the HTC logo on the screen, press and hold the Volume Down button until you see Safe Mode at the lower portion of the screen.
Test how your phone works while in safe mode. If it’s performing better and faster, it denotes that the problem is attributed to downloaded apps on your phone. Try to update, disable or uninstall individual apps starting from your most recent downloads until you identified the root cause. If your phone is still performing very slow while in safe mode, service is needed.
Fourth solution: Wipe cache partition on your phone.
Wiping cache partition after a system update installation is recommended to ensure that the new system changes are properly applied and to prevent apps from going rogue. Doing so will likewise dump errant cache and data corruption that might have caused performance issues on the phone. Here’s how to wipe cache partition on the HTC U12/U12 Plus smartphone:
- Power the phone off completely.
- With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button while turning the phone on.
- Continue to hold the Volume Down button until the bootloader screen is displayed.
- Press the Volume Down button until Recovery is selected.
- Press the Power button to confirm selection. The phone will then seem to reboot and the screen will turn black for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Wait until the recovery screen is displayed then continue with the next steps.
- Hold the Volume Up button and then press and release the Power button.
- Press the Volume Down button repeatedly until Wipe Cache Partition option is highlighted.
- Then press the Power button to confirm selection.
- Press the Volume Up button repeatedly after the process completes.
- Press the Power button to select Reboot system option.
Allow your phone to finish restarting and then see if it’s already performing better and faster.
Fifth solution: Factory data reset/master reset your phone.
A master reset or factory data reset is usually needed if the problem persists after exhausting all applicable solutions. What you’re dealing could be a complicated system issue that requires more advanced solution like a full system reset. Downloaded apps, customizations, contacts, and other saved information will be deleted. If you wish to continue, then back up important data then follow these steps to reset your HTC U12/U12 Plus smartphone to its factory defaults and then set it up as new:
- Swipe up from the Home screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap System then Reset.
- Select Factory data reset option.
- Make sure you don’t select the option to Erase SD card if you don’t want to delete media and other data from your SD card. Otherwise, mark the option to clear the SD card contents as well.
- Tap Reset Phone.
- Then tap Erase Everything to confirm.
Wait until the reset is finished. Your iPhone should reboot by itself when the reset is done and default settings are restored. Software-related errors that have slowed down the phone are likewise cleared.
Although your HTC U12/U12 Plus started to slow down after installing a system update, the blame is not always on a bad update. Your device may already have obtained hardware damage even before the new system update was implemented and thus, the sudden sluggish performance may likewise be just a substantial symptom. To rule this out, you can take your device to the nearest HTC-authorized service center so it can be thoroughly assessed by a technician. You may also escalate the problem to your carrier or HTC support for further recommendations.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.