Skype is one of the most popular software that allows users to do video conference and can communicate with other Skype users via audio and text. It is available to download on computers and mobile devices as well. Although the Skype Audio and video is a solid feature, there have been reports from user wherein the Microphone is not working on Skype during an audio or video call. It can be a frustrating experience since the microphone is important when doing audio or video call. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series, we will talk about the recommended solutions that you can try to fix Skype Microphone not working problem on Windows 10.
What to do if Skype microphone not working problem occurs
There are several factors that might have cause microphone not working problem on Skype. One of the cause could be that the microphone that you are currently using is not set to default. Another reason could be that you are having issues with the permissions. It is also possible that the microphone you are using is faulty and or damaged physically or is having hardware issues. If you are experiencing problems with the microphone you use for Skype, try the following solutions below to fix it.
Solution 1: Check for Skype Permissions Access
The very first thing that you need to do if you are having microphone issues is to check if Skype has access on your microphone. You may need to check the permissions settings on Privacy Section.
To do this:
Posts you might like
- Press Windows key + I on your keyboard to open Windows Settings.
- At Windows settings window, click Privacy.
- At left pane, select Microphone under App permissions.
- At right pane, make sure option “Allow apps to access your microphone” is toggled ON or enabled.
- Scroll down and locate Skype app under “Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone” section.
- Make sure Skype access is toggled ON.
Check if Skype microphone not working problem on Windows computer still occurs.
Solution 2: Check Microphone Settings in Skype Settings
There are times when multiple devices are connected to your computer such as connecting two or more microphone device. It is then possible that the microphone you are using and is causing microphone not working on Skype to occur is not the correct microphone for Skype. To fix, check if correct microphone is used for Skype audio devices in Skype settings.
To do this:
- Open Skype
- Click on the 3 horizontal dots located at the upper left just beside user account name.
- Click Settings from the drop down menu.
- At left pane, click Audio & Video
- Scroll down and locate Microphone under Audio settings.
- Check whether the correct microphone is selected for Skype use.
- If after selecting the microphone, click Make a free test call to test audio and check if the problem has been fixed.
- Exit all windows and then restart computer.
Once computer completely reboots, check if Skype microphone is not working problem on Windows 10 still occurs.
Solution 3: Make sure Windows Audio service is running
Services are essential features that makes sure the hardware and software services on your computer are working and running the way it should be. If a windows services stopped unintentionally, it can affect the performance of the computer. In this case, make sure Windows Audio service is running and working properly.
To do this:
- Press Windows logo ley + R on your keyboard to open RUN dialog box.
- At RUN dialog box, type services.msc and press Enter or click OK to open Services window.
- At Services window, scroll down and locate Windows Audio.
- Right click on Windows Audio Service and click Properties from the drop down menu.
- Under Service status, make sure audio services is running. If the service status is stopped, click Start to start running the service and restart windows audio service.
- Click Apply to apply changes made.
- Click OK to exit properties window.
Restart Skype. Check if Skype microphone is not working problem on Windows 10 still occurs.
Solution 4: Reinstall Skype
If none of the solutions mentioned above did not fix microphone is not working on Skype, you may need to uninstall and then reinstall Skype application. Uninstalling and reinstalling resets Skype data and refreshes the application. Make sure to reinstall the latest version of the application.
To do this:
- Press Windows key or Start button located at the lower left
- Click Settings , an icon that looks like a gear to open Windows settings.
- At Windows Settings, click Apps.
- At Apps & Features window, scroll down and locate Skype.
- Click on Skype and then click Uninstall from the drop down menu. Wait for the uninstall process to complete.
- Exit Windows Settings window.
- Restart computer.
After computer completely reboots, reinstall Skype application again from here and then check if Skype microphone not working problem on Windows 10 still occurs.
After following the solutions mentioned, you will successfully fix Skype microphone not working problem on Windows 10. Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.