Screen flickering issues are common and they may occur to both old and brand new phones. So, you may be able to encounter this problem with your new LG G7 ThinQ smartphone and while it may seem like a hardware problem, there were cases I personally encountered wherein screen flickering issues were caused by apps and some minor firmware glitches. Needless to say, we need to do some basic to determine if it’s a minor problem or not to save you from a lot of trouble going to the shop or back to the store just to be told by a technician that the problem is not that serious.
In this post, I will walk you through in troubleshooting your LG G7 ThinQ that has a screen flickering issue. We will try to determine what the issue really is and rule out every possibility to try and fix the problem without you going to the shop. So, if you’re an owner of this phone or any smartphone for that matter with a flickering screen, continue reading as this article may be able to help you one way or another.
Before anything else though, if you have other issues with your device, then visit our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed several common problems with this phone. Odds are that there are already existing solutions to your problems so just take time finding issues that are similar with yours. If you can’t find one or if you need further assistance, feel free to contact us by completing our Android issues questionnaire. Please provide us with as much information as possible so that it would also be easier for us to troubleshoot the problem. Don’t worry as we offer this service for free, so all you have to do is give us sufficient information about the problem.
How to troubleshoot LG G7 ThinQ with screen flickering issue
I would assume that the screen flickering hasn’t been happening out of the box because if your device is already like that since day 1, this isn’t the place where you should be. You should already go back to the store and have it replaced since it’s a hardware or a manufacturing defect. However, if the problem started out of nowhere with no apparent reason or cause, then here’s what you should do…
First solution: Reboot your phone
This method is for those who encountered the problem for the first time and haven’t rebooted their phones yet. It’s possible that the flickering is due to an app you’re using and a restart may be able to fix it. Better yet, try doing the forced restart by pressing and holding both the volume down and power keys at the same time for 8 seconds or until the device boots up. If the flicking continues after doing this, then you have to do the next procedure.
Second solution: Run your LG G7 ThinQ in safe mode
This method will make your device run with all downloaded apps temporarily disabled. It will tell us if the problem is caused by a third-party app or not. So, follow these steps to run your phone in safe mode:
- With the screen on, press and hold the Power key.
- In the options menu that displays, press and hold Power off.
- When prompted to restart in Safe Mode, tap OK.
- After your device restarts, it displays Safe mode at the bottom of the screen.
Continue using your phone while in this mode to know if the flickering still happens. Assuming the issue is fixed, find out which app causes the problem and uninstall it. Here’s how you do that:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap the ‘General’ tab > Apps & notifications.
- Tap the filter to select the following:
- Tap the desired app.
- Tap Uninstall, then tap OK.
On the other hand, if the flickering continues even in safe mode, then we need to rule out the possibility that it’s just a firmware issue. Try the next methods.
Third solution: Wipe cache partition
This will rule out the possibility that this problem is caused by some corrupt system caches. Don’t worry, you won’t lose your files and data if you did this. All the system caches, however, will be deleted and replaced with ones that it all happens automatically. What you need to do on your end is initiate the process. Here’s how you do that:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap the ‘General’ tab.
- Tap Storage > Internal storage.
- Wait for menu options to finish calculating.
- Tap Free up space.
- Tap Temporary files & raw files.
- Select the following options:
- Cached data
- Clip tray temporary files
- Raw files from camera
- Tap Delete > DELETE.
If the problem continues after this, then you have to do the last procedure.
Fourth solution: Master Reset
This is your last resort and if the problem continues after this, then it’s time you brought it back to the store and have it replaced. Before that, make sure you backup all your important files and data especially those that are stored in your phone’s internal storage as they will be deleted. After which, follow these steps to reset your phone:
- Back up all data on the internal memory before performing a master reset.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume down buttons.
- When the LG logo appears, quickly release and then re-hold the Power button while continuing to hold the Volume down button.
- When the ‘Delete all user data (including LG and carrier apps) and reset all settings’ message appears, use the Volume down button to highlight Yes.
- Press the Power button to reset the device.
After doing all the procedures above and the screen flickering continues, then have a technician take care of it.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you through this post. If you have other concerns you want to share with us, feel free to email us anytime or leave a comment below.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- What to do with your LG G7 ThinQ that can’t send and receive SMS or text messages [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do if your LG G7 ThinQ’s screen keeps on flickering (easy steps)
- How to fix LG G7 ThinQ that won’t turn on (easy steps)