The thing about charging issues is that they could be just a very minor issue or a very complicated hardware problem. I personally encountered both situations several times in the past and they’re actually the same across all devices. I’m tackling this issue in this post because some of our readers that own the LG G6 contacted us saying that their devices no longer charge for some reason. We are compelled to address the problem for the benefit of our readers.
So, in this article, I will walk you through in troubleshooting your phone that won’t charge. We will try to look into each possibility and rule them out one by one until we can determine what the problem is all about and what needs to be done to fix it. If you’re one of the owners of this phone and are currently having similar issues, continue reading as this article may be able to help you one way or another.
Before we proceed, if you’re looking for a solution to a problem with your phone, try to browse through our troubleshooting pages to see if we support your device. If your phone is in the list of our supported devices, then go to the troubleshooting page and look for similar problems. Feel free to use our solutions and workarounds. Don’t worry it’s free. But if you still need our help, then fill up our Android issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot LG G6 that won’t charge
As I said earlier, this problem could be a minor or a serious one and if it’s an issue with the hardware, there’s nothing much you can do about it except bring the phone to the shop or back to the store where you bought it. Since we don’t know yet the reason why this happened, we need to rule out the possibility that it could be just an issue caused by some apps or issues with the firmware. Try these things…
Posts you might like
Try rebooting your phone – that is if you haven’t done it yet and while you might think that it’s a useless procedure, well, firmware glitches happen all the time and not charging is just one of its results. A reboot will be able to fix the glitch and that’s the reason why you need to do this. If a normal reboot can’t fix the problem, try doing the forced restart by pressing and holding the volume down and power keys at the same time for 12 seconds or more. This will simulate battery disconnect and fix both firmware and hardware glitches.
Try charging the phone in safe mode – I have encountered a couple of situations wherein an app caused the phone to not charge when connected to a wired charger. There’s a possibility that you may have installed similar apps that prevent your phone from charging. So, try running your phone in safe mode to temporarily disable all third-party apps and if this is the case, your device should charge properly while in safe mode. If this what really happens, the next move you have to do is find the app that’s causing the problem and uninstall it. However, if the phone doesn’t charge even in safe mode, then you should try the next procedure.
Turn off your phone and charge it – what we’re trying to accomplish here is to know if this problem is with the firmware and if it only occurs when the phone is powered up. While the system plays an important role in the charging process, the phone is hard-wired to charge it’s battery even if it’s powered off. So, if your device actually charges while powered down, give it time to replenish its battery and then turn it back on while it’s still connected to its charger to know if it works. If it doesn’t, then you have to do the next procedure.
Perform the Master Reset – if your phone charges at some point while you’re troubleshooting, it means the problem is with the hardware and it can be fixed by a reset. But before you do that, make sure you backup your files and data as they will be deleted. You may lose some files and you will need to set up your phone again after the reset but I think it’s worth all your efforts as your phone will surely work perfectly again. However, if your device hasn’t charged at all and if the problem continues even after the reset, then you will need to bring it to the shop to get a tech to check it for you.
Should you have problems doing the procedures I suggested above, here’s how to do them…
How to run LG G6 in Safe Mode
- With the screen on, press and hold the Power key.
- In the options menu that displays, press and hold Power off.
- When ‘Restart in Safe mode’ displays, tap OK to restart in Safe mode.
- Upon restart, device displays ‘Safe mode’ at bottom of screen.
How to uninstall apps from your phone
- From any home screen, tap Apps > Settings.
- If using Tab view, select the General tab.
- Tap Apps.
- Tap All apps.
- Tap the desired app.
- Tap Uninstall > OK.
How to reset your LG G6
- Back up data on the internal memory.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume down buttons.
- When the LG logo appears, quickly release and then re-hold the Power button while continuing to hold the Volume down button.
- When Factory data reset appears, use the Volume down button to highlight Yes.
- Press the Power button to confirm.
- When Erase all user data and restore default settings appears, use the Volume down button to highlight Yes.
- Press the Power button to confirm.
- Wait for the device to reset.
I hope that this troubleshooting have helped you one way or another. If you have other issues with your phone you want to share with us, feel free to contact us or leave a comment below.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- How to boot your LG G6 in Safe mode, wipe cache partition, factory and master reset [Tutorials]
- How to fix your LG G6 that won’t turn on [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix your LG G6 with screen flickering issue [Troubleshooting Guide]
- LG G6 Text Messages Takes Forever To Send Issue & Other Related Problems
- LG G6 Unfortunately Home Has Stopped Issue & Other Related Problems
- LG G6 Screen Is Flickering Issue & Other Related Problems
- LG G6 Not Turning On After Software Update Issue & Other Related Problems