The JBL Link Portable not connecting to Bluetooth issue prevents you from connecting the speaker to your smartphone. There are several reasons why this is happening such as a drained battery, device not paired, or device not within range. You need to do several troubleshooting steps to fix this.
The JBL Link Portable is a Bluetooth speaker that has a premium design and has a Google Assistant feature. It can connect using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth allowing it to be an indispensable tool when used indoors. Some of its features include wireless streaming via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, IPX7 waterproof body, and 8 hours of playtime on a single full charge.
Technical Specs of JBL Link Portable:
- Transducer: 1 x 49mm
- Output power: 1 x 20W
- Frequency response: 65Hz–20kHz
- Signal-to-noise ratio: >80dB
- Battery type: Lithium-ion Polymer (3.6V, 4800mAh)
- Battery charge time: 3.5 hours @5V,2A
- Music play time: up to 8 hours (varies by volume level and content)
- Wireless streaming: Wi-Fi, Chromecast built-in, AirPlay 2 and Bluetooth
- Wireless network: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz)
- Bluetooth version: 4.2
- Supported audio formats: HE-AAC, LC-AAC,
- MP3, Vorbis, WAV (LPCM), FLAC, Opus
- Dimensions (Dia x H): 88 x 170mm
- Weight: 735g
What to do when your JBL Link Portable will not connect to a Bluetooth device
One issue that you might encounter with your Link Portable Bluetooth speaker is when you can’t seem to connect it to your smartphone. This can be an annoying problem especially if you want to play your favorite music on the speaker. Here are the troubleshooting steps you need to do to fix this.
Method 1: Perform a factory reset on JBL Link Portable
The troubleshooting step you will need to do is a factory reset or hard reset. This is a procedure that deletes the data stored on this Bluetooth speaker and brings it back to its default settings. This is a useful troubleshooting step to do when you are experiencing problems with the device such as when you can’t make a Bluetooth connection.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
Reset the speaker
- Remove the charging cord from the speaker.
This will ensure that the device will not be charging.
- Press and hold the Power button and Mute button.
Do this for around 10-15 seconds until the speaker restarts.
The speaker will now be in pairing mode. Make sure to delete this speaker name on your phone before connecting to it again.
Method 2: Pair the Bluetooth device
There’s a chance that the problem is caused by the speaker being paired to another device or not paired at all to any device. To fix this you will need to pair the speaker again.
- Turn on the Link Portable speaker.
- Press and hold down the Bluetooth button for 3 seconds
- When the blue light begins flashing the Bluetooth speaker is ready to pair and connect.
Delete the speaker connection name on your phone then do a Bluetooth scan so that the speaker name will appear on it. Try connecting to the speaker.
Method 3: Charge the speaker to fix not connecting to Bluetooth issue
If the speaker is low on battery charge then there’s a possibility that its Bluetooth feature will not work. To fix this problem all you need to do is to charge the speaker.
- Insert the USB-C charging cord into the charging port of the speaker.
- Insert the other end of the USB-C charging cord to a USB wall charger with an output of not greater than 2.0A.
- Connect the wall charger to a power outlet.
Leave this charging for at least 3.5 hours then check if the Bluetooth problem still occurs.
Method 4: Device is not in range
To get the best possible listening experience, this speaker and the device it is connecting to should not be no greater than 100 feet away from each other. This range will decrease if there are a lot of obstructions or signal interferences such as walls between both devices.
Try placing the speaker and the device it is connecting to side by side then check if the problem still occurs.
Having the JBL Link Portable not connecting to Bluetooth issue can be a frustrating experience. Hopefully, this solution will help you fix the problem.
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.