The JBL Flip 5 will not connect to Bluetooth problem prevents you from connecting the speaker to your music source. Several factors can cause this such as low battery power, device not paired, or device not within range. You need to do several troubleshooting steps to fix this.
The JBL Flip 5 is a popular portable Bluetooth speaker that usually sells for US$100. It delivers a high music volume with deep bass in a small package. Some of its features include an IPX7 waterproof design, 12 hour battery life on a single charge, and PartyBoost which allows you to connect two speakers just to name a few.
Technical specifications of JBL Flip 5:
- Bluetooth version: 4.2
- Support: A2DP V1.3, AVRCP V1.6
- Transducer: 44mm x 80mm
- Rated power: 20W RMS
- Frequency response: 65Hz–20kHz
- Signal-to-noise ratio: >80dB
- Battery type: Lithium-ion Polymer
- 17.28Wh (Equivalent to 3.6V 4800mAh)
- Battery charge time: 2.5 hours (5V/3A)
- Music playtime: up to 12 hours (varies
- by volume level and audio content)
- Bluetooth transmitter power: 0-11dBm
- Bluetooth transmitter frequency range: 2.402 – 2.480GHz
- Bluetooth transmitter modulation: GFSK, π/4 DQPSK, 8DPSK
- Dimension (W x D x H): 181 x 69 x 74mm
- Weight: 540g
What to do when your JBL Flip 5 won’t connect to a Bluetooth device
One problem that you might encounter with your Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker is when you won’t be able to connect it to a Bluetooth device. This can be an annoying issue especially if you want to play your favorite music. Here are the troubleshooting steps you need to do to fix the problem.
Method 1: Perform a factory reset to fix not connecting to Bluetooth issue
A factory reset or hard reset is a procedure that will wipe out data on this speaker and bring it back to its default settings. This is a useful troubleshooting step to perform whenever you are experiencing problems with the device such as when you can’t make a Bluetooth connection or when there are charging problems.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
Reset the speaker
- Turn on the device.
You can do this by pressing on the power button.
- Press and hold the Volume up button and Play button.
Do this until the device turns off which should be around 5 seconds.
- Turn on the device.
You can do this by pressing on the power button. The device should now be in pairing mode.
After performing these steps try pairing the Bluetooth speaker.
Method 2: Pair the Bluetooth device
Sometimes the problem is caused by the Bluetooth speaker being currently paired to another device. To fix this you will need to pair the speaker again.
- Turn on the JBL Flip 5.
- Press and hold down the Bluetooth button for 3 seconds
- When the blue light will begin flashing the Bluetooth speaker is ready to pair and connect.
Make sure your phone or other Bluetooth device is scanning for a connection so that the speaker name will appear on it. Try connecting to the speaker.
Method 3: Charge the JBL Flip 5 speaker
The Bluetooth connection of the speaker will not work if its battery is low on battery charge. To fix this problem all you need to do is to charge the speaker.
- Insert the USB-C charging cord into the charging port of the speaker.
- Insert the other end of the USB-C charging cord to a USB wall charger with an output of at least 1.0A and not greater than 3.0A.
- Connect the wall charger to a power outlet.
Leave this charging for at least 2.5 hours then check if the Bluetooth problem still occurs.
Method 4: Device is not in range
To make sure that you get the best listening experience using this Bluetooth speaker, the device it is connecting to should not be more than 100 feet away. This range will decrease if there are a lot of obstructions or signal interference such as walls or radios between both devices.
Try placing the speaker and the device it is connecting to side by side then check if the problem still occurs.
Having connection issues on a Bluetooth speaker can be a frustrating experience. Hopefully, this solution will help you fix the problem.
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.