Updating Chrome browser is important and recommended to make sure browser version is up to date and also to make sure that browser has the latest security updates. Although the updating google chrome is a simple process, there are instances when certain issues can occur such as users getting error code 0x80040902 when checking for chrome update when they try to update Google Chrome browser. The error is usually displayed as “An error occurred while checking for updates. The installer failed to uncompress archive”. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series, we will talk about the recommended troubleshooting solutions that you can try to fix Google Chrome Update Error 0x80040902 On Windows 10.
Fix Chrome Update Error 0x80040902
There are possible causes why Error 0x80040902 on Google Chrome Update occurs such as Chrome not being able to establish a connection with the download server of Chrome to conflicts with antivirus or third party antivirus program. Listed below are the troubleshooting solutions that you can do to fix Chrome Update Error message 0x80040902.
Solution 1: Restart computer and Check Update again
The very first thing that you need to do to fix the error message is to restart the computer. This action refreshes the operating system and remove any corrupt chrome data and network related issues that could be causing the problem. However, if error code 0x80040902 on Google Chrome update still appears after restarting the computer, try the next solutions below to fix it.
Launch Google Chrome browser and then check if Error code 0x80040902 on Google Chrome update still occurs. .
Solution 2: Disable Compatibility mode
Estimate Cost : 0
Time Needed : 3 minutes
There are times when Google chrome is not compatible with the current operating system of your computer thereby preventing the update process of Google Chrome browser to update. To fix this, try to disable compatibility mode and then check if the error will be fixed.
To do this:
Right click on Google Chrome icon located on your desktop
You can also find it in the Start menu.
Click Properties from the drop down menu.
A small window will open.
At Google Chrome Properties, click Compatibility tab.
It's the last tab to the right.
Under Compatibility mode, make sure option “Run this program in compatibility mode for” is unchecked to disable it.
This will command Chrome to always check compatibility when it's opened.
Click Apply to apply changes made
This will save all the changes you made.
Click OK to exit Properties window.
You're now good to go.
- Windows 10
Update Google Chrome browser again and then check if Error 0x80040902 still occurs.
Solution 3: Taskkill every Chrome processes
Most of the time, the most common reason for the error to appear when updating Chrome is when there are a few selection of Chrome processes that are stuck thereby the browser is unable to automatically update on its own. When on hibernation and or sleep feature is activated instead of using the shut down option can also be the cause. To fix this, you may need to Taskkill every stuck chrome processes and then check if the issue will be resolved. Before performing this solution, make sure Google chrome is closed.
To do this:
- Type command prompt at the search bar located at the lower left.
- At RUN dialog box, type “cmd” and press Enter or click OK. This will open Command Prompt window. If User Account Control (UAC) appears, click Yes to grand Administrative privileges.
- At Command prompt window, type the following command and press Enter after each command.
- Type taskkill /im chrome.exe /f and press Enter.
- Type taskkill /im googleupdate.exe /f and press Enter
- Type /im google*.exe /fi “STATUS eq UNKNOWN” /f and press Enter
- Type /im google*.exe /fi “STATUS eq NOT RESPONDING” /f and press Enter
- Type taskkill /im googleupdate.exe /f and press Enter.
- Exit Command Prompt Window.
Open Google Chrome and then check if Error code 0x80040902 on Google Chrome update still occurs.
Solution 4: Uninstall Third party Antivirus (if applicable)
Most of the time, third party antivirus programs can cause conflicts with the update process on Google Chrome. Third party antivirus blocks the update process thereby causing error 0x80040902 on Google Chrome update. To fix this, you may need to uninstall third party antivirus and then check if the error will be resolved.
To do this:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open RUN dialog box.
- At RUN dialog box, type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter or click OK. This will open Programs and Features window. If User Account Control (UAC) appears, click Yes to grand Administrative privileges.
- Scroll down and locate third party antivirus program.
- Right click on third party antivirus program and then click Uninstall from the drop down menu. Follow the on-screen instructions on how to uninstall antivirus.
- Restart computer.
Once computer completely reboots, update Google Chrome again and then check if Error message 0x80040902 still occurs.
After following the solutions mentioned, you will successfully fix Google Chrome Update Error 0x80040902 On Windows 10. For more troubleshooting videos, feel free to visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel.