Are you experiencing the HBO Max app not working on your TCL Smart TV? There are several several factors that can cause this problem such as a poor internet connection, TV compatibility issues , outdated HBO Max app, or even an outdated TCL Smart TV software. To fix HBO Max issues you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
TCL TV is a popular Chinese brand that’s best known for releasing Smart TV models that are affordably priced yet have several outstanding features. They offer various models ranging from Mini LED TVs, 4K TVs, Android TVs, and QLED TVs just to name a few. Customers who want to set up a home entertainment system should definitely consider getting this brand.
Why can’t I get HBO Max on my TCL Roku TV?
One of the issues that TCL Smart TV owners might encounter with the HBO Max app is when it fails to work. This can be a frustrating experience especially if you want to watch your favorite show.
Here’s what HBO Max subscribers can do to fix HBO MAx app not working on their Smart TV issue.
Solution 1: Check your internet connection
The HBO Max app will need a good internet connection to work properly. You should make sure that your TCL Smart TV is connected to the internet and that it does not have a slow connection speed.
If you are currently experiencing internet issues then the HBO Max app might not open or if you start streaming a show it might just keep on buffering.
What you will want to do first is to check your connection speed.
Checking your internet speed
- Open a browser on your TCL Smart TV.
- Go to speedtest.net. This is an online speed test tool that is free to use.
- Click on Go. This will start the speed test.
In order to stream HBO Max content you should have a fast and stable connection. The results should match your subscription plan from your internet service provider.
The recommended speed to view shows on the HBO Max app are as follows:
- 5 Mbps – 1080p streaming.
- 10 Mbps – Recommended speed for 1080p streaming.
- 25 Mbps-UHD (4K) streaming.
- 50 Mbps – for stable 4K streaming.
If you have a slow or no internet then you can check if this is caused by an issue with your Wi-Fi network.
- Turn off your TCL Smart TV.
- Unplug your Modem and Router from the power source.
- Wait for a minute then plug your modem and router back into the power source.
- Wait until the lights turn back on.
- Turn on the TCL Smart TV.
- Reconnect the TCL Smart TV to the internet.
Try to check if the HBO Max not working issue still occurs
Here’s what you can do to get a stable internet signal.
- Try to disconnect other devices connected to the Wi-Fi router while you use HBO Max. This will allow HBO Max to use the maximum internet bandwidth.
- Move the TCL Smart TV closer to the router . This will allow the device to get a much stronger Wi-Fi signal strength.
- If you have a dual band router try to connect the Roku streaming device to the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4.
Solution 2: Check for HBO Max streaming service outage
There are instances when the HBO Max not working issue can be caused by offline servers. The HBO Max servers might be experiencing an unexpected outage or it might be undergoing a scheduled maintenance.
You can check the status of the HBO Max servers by going to a third party server checker such as DownDetector.
Another way to check for a server outage is by checking the social media accounts of HBO Max such as Twitter. The company will usually post updates regarding any server issues.
If there is a reported outage then you will have to wait for this to be resolved.
Solution 3: Power cycle your TCL TV
One common cause of the HBO Max app not working is a software glitch. A power reset or soft reset will usually fix issues caused by minor software glitches or bugs.
How to Restart TCL Roku devices
- Press on your remote control to open the main screen.
- Scroll up or down and select Settings
- Press the right arrow button and select System
- Press the right arrow button and select Power
- Press the right arrow button and select System Restart
- Press the right arrow button and select Restart.
Another way to do this is to unplug the power cord of your TCL Smart TV from the power source and wait about 60 seconds. Reconnect the power cord and make sure the TV is turned on.
After the power cycle has completed try to check if the HBO Max app works.
Solution 4: Try to Reset the network connection
There are instances when a glitch in the network connection of your TCL TV will cause problems with the HBO Max app . You should try resetting the network connection and check if this fixes the problem.
TCL TV network reset
- Press Home home button on Roku TV remote control.
- Scroll and select Settings
- Select Advanced system settings
- Select Network connection reset
- Select Reset connection
Set up the WiFi network connection
- Press Home home button on TCL Roku remote control.
- Scroll and select Settings.
- Select Network.
- Select Set up connection.
- Choose Wireless.
- Select your network from the list of available networks. If you do not see your network, select Scan again to see all networks.
- Enter your network password. To see the password as you type, choose Show password.
- Select Connect.
Try checking if the HBO Max app is now working.
Solution 5: Clear cache and data of the HBO Max streaming app
There’s a possibility that corrupted cached data in the HBO Max app is causing the problem. To fix this you will need to clear HBO Max cache.
- Turn on your Android Powered TCL Smart TV.
- Using the remote control select your profile icon on the Google TV home screen.
- Choose the Settings menu.
- Select the Apps option and then click on See all Apps.
- You will be shown a list of all that are installed on your TCL Android Smart TV.
- Select the HBO Max app.
- Select the Clear Cache option. This will clear the cache of the app.
After performing this step you will need to log in again to your HBO Max account before you can use it. Try checking if the HBO Max not working issue still occurs.
Solution 6: Reinstall HBO Max App
TCL Roku device owners will usually experience HBO Max app issues if the app itself is corrupted. In order to fix this you will need to uninstall the app then install a fresh version.
Uninstall HBO Max
- Press the Home button on your remote control.
- Go to Settings on the home page of your TCL smart TV.
- Select Apps under the device.
- You can see all the downloaded apps, choose the one you want to delete.
- Choose Uninstall to delete.
Install HBO Max
- From the Android TV Home screen, navigate to Apps.
- Select the Get more apps.
- Browse or search for the HBO Max app then select Install.
- Press Open to launch the app.
Solution 7: Perform a software update on your TCL Smart TV
You should make sure that your TCL Roku streaming device has the latest software version installed as this will usually have several improvements as well as bug fixes that could fix the Netflix issue you are experiencing.
Updating Roku TCL Android TV
Press the Home button on the TCL Android TV remote control to display the Home screen.
Use the navigation button to move the cursor to the Settings icon, located on the right top of the screen, then press OK
Scroll and select More Settings
Scroll and select Device Preferences
Scroll and select About
Scroll and select System Update
The Software Update pop-up box will display, select Network Update
The TV will search for an available software update, once prompted, click OK to confirm.
Update TCL Google TV
Press the Settings button on the TCL Google TV remote.
Select the Settings options in the panel.
Navigate to System > About > System update.
Select the Network Update option on the dialog that appears.
If an update is available, the TV will display a Software Update message box. Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the latest updates.
Once the latest software is successfully installed, your TCL TV will automatically restart.
Solution 8: Check for geo-restrictions
The HBO Max streaming service is only available in certain countries such as the United States as well as some Latin American and European countries. If you are in an area where HBO MAX service is unavailable then you might want to consider using a VPN to access your HBO MAX account.
Solution 9: Perform a factory reset on your TCL TV
If after performing the troubleshooting steps listed above the TV still is experiencing issues connecting to wireless networks then you should consider doing a factory reset.
Factory Reset TCL TV
- Press Home on your remote to open the main screen.
- Scroll down and select Settings
- Press the right arrow button, scroll and select System.
- Press the right arrow button, scroll and select Advanced system settings.
- Press the right arrow button, scroll and select Factory reset.
- Press the right arrow button, scroll and select Factory reset everything.
- To proceed with the full factory reset, enter the code listed on the screen and select OK.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does HBO MAX buffer when I play a movie?
A buffering show is most likely caused by a slow internet connection. Try restarting the router and your TV then check if the issue still occurs.
Can I access my HBO Max subscription on my mobile device?
You can access HBO Max on your smartphone using the dedicated app. Just download HBO Max on your mobile device from the Play Store.
Is there a way to get HBO Max on an older Hisense TVs?
The three alternative solutions to get HBO Max on an older TV is by using Roku, Amazon Firestick, or Chromecast.
What to do when HBO Max app does not download on my TV?
This could be due to your TV not connected to the internet. Make sure that the TV is properly connected to your Wi-Fi network.
How to Remove Streaming Channels on TCL TV?
Press the Home button on your TCL Roku remote to open the main screen.
Scroll to the right, navigate the screen and highlight the channel you want to remove or delete .
Press the to display options menu.
Scroll down and highlight Remove Channel.