Are you experiencing the HBO Max app not working on your Sony Smart TV? There are several several factors that can cause this problem such as a poor internet connection, TV compatibility issues , outdated HBO Max app, or even an outdated Sony TV software. To fix HBO Max app issue you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
Sony is a popular Japanese company that manufactures several products ranging from consumer electronics, appliances, smartphones, and TVs. The company’s Sony Smart TV lineup is considered as one of the best in the world as it uses some of the best technologies to deliver an outstanding visual experience.
Why did my HBO Max suddenly stop working on my Sony Smart TV?
One of the issues that can occur on your Sony Smart TV is when the HBO Max app does not work. This can be a frustrating experience especially if you want to watch your favorite show.
Here’s you can do to fix HBO Max app issues on your Sony TV.
Solution 1: Power reset your Sony TV
The first troubleshooting step you will need to perform when you can’t watch HBO Max shows on your Sony TV is a power cycle. A power reset or soft reset will usually fix issues caused by minor software glitches or bugs as it will remove any temporary corrupted data that could be causing the problem.
- Turn off the TV using the supplied remote control.
- Unplug the TV power cord from the power outlet and wait about 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the TV AC power cord to the electrical outlet then and make sure to turn on the Sony Smart TV.
You can also perform a soft reset using the remote control.
- Point the remote control to the illumination LED or status LED and press and hold the POWER button of the remote control for about 5 seconds.
- Select Restart to restart.
- The TV should restart automatically. Wait for approximately one minute, and the TV will turn back on. If it does not reboot, press the POWER button on the remote control to turn on the TV.
Try to check if you are now able to stream HBO Max shows.
Solution 2: Check the internet connection speed of your Sony TV
HBO Max is one of the streaming services that will need a good internet connection to work properly. You should make sure that your TV is connected to the internet and that it does not have a slow connection speed.
What you will want to do first is to check your connection speed.
Test connection speed
- Open a browser on your Smart TV.
- Go to speedtest.net. This is an online speed test tool that is free to use.
- Click on Go. This will start the speed test.
In order to stream HBO Max content you should have a fast and stable connection. The results should match your subscription plan from your internet provider.
The recommended download speed to properly enjoy watching HBO Max shows are as follows.
- 5 Mbps – 1080p streaming.
- 10 Mbps – Recommended speed for 1080p streaming.
- 25 Mbps-UHD (4K) streaming.
- 50 Mbps – for stable 4K streaming.
If the network test shows that you have a slow or no internet then you can check if this is caused by an issue with your Wi-Fi network.
- Turn off your Smart TV.
- Unplug your Modem and Router from the power source.
- Wait for a minute then plug your modem and router back into the power source.
- Wait until the lights turn back on.
- Turn on the Smart TV then reconnect it to the wireless network.
Try to check if the HBO Max not working issue still occurs
Here’s what you can do to get a stable internet signal.
- Try to disconnect other devices connected to the Wi-Fi router while you use HBO Max. This will allow HBO Max to use the maximum internet bandwidth.
- Move the TV closer to the router . This will allow the device to get a much stronger Wi-Fi signal strength.
- If you have a dual band router try to connect the streaming device to the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4.
Solution 3: Check for HBO Max streaming service outage
There are instances when the HBO servers will become offline because of an unexpected outage or some scheduled maintenance work . When this happens you won’t be able to watch your favorite HBO Max shows.
You can check the status of the HBO Max servers by going to a third party server checker such as DownDetector.
Another way to check for a server outage is by checking the social media accounts of HBO Max such as Twitter. The company will usually post updates regarding any server issues.
If there is a reported outage then you will have to wait for this to be resolved.
Solution 4: Clear the cache data of HBO Max
One of the causes of the HBO Max application not working is if the app has corrupted data. To fix this, you will need to clear cache and data of the app.
- On the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.
- Select the Settings icon.
- Select Apps → See all apps → Show system apps.
- Select Apps.
- Under System apps, select HBO Max app.
- Select Clear cache, then select OK.
- Select Clear data, then select OK.
- If displayed, select CLEAR ALL DATA, and then select OK.
Try checking if this fix the issue you are experiencing.
Solution 5: Uninstall then install HBO Max on your TV
Sometimes the problem can be caused by an issue with the installed app. You might have corrupted or outdated apps installed in your TV. To check if this is what’s causing the problem you should uninstall then reinstall the HBO Max application.
Uninstall HBO Max
On the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.
Select See all apps.
Select HBO Max.
Install HBO Max
On the remote control, press the HOME button.
Select the Google Play Store app in the Apps category.
On the Google Play Store screen, use the navigation buttons of the TV remote control and select the search icon.
Use the microphone on the remote control or the on-screen keyboard on the TV to search the name of the app that you want to install.
From the search results, select the app that you wish to install, and then select Install.
Solution 6: Check if you are in a geo-restricted area
The HBO Max service only works in certain territories around the world. If you live in an area that is not being serviced by HBO Max then you can still access this by using a VPN service. Just download a VPN app then have the VPN running before accessing your HBO Max account.
Solution 7: Make sure your Sony Smart TV is running on the latest firmware update
You should make sure that your TV has the latest software version installed. The most current version will usually have several improvements as well as bug fixes that could fix the HBO Max app issue you are experiencing.
Sony Google TV models
On the supplied remote, press the Quick Settings button.
Select the Settings icon.
Select System → About → System software update.
On the supplied remote, press the Quick Settings button.
Select the Settings icon.
Select System → About → System software update. If the Automatically check for update settings is turned off, check manually if there’s an update. To check manually, select System software update with the procedure above, and then select Software update.
Sony Android TV models
On the supplied remote control, press the Help button (if available), otherwise press the Home button and then select Help.
Select Status & Diagnostics, then select System software update.
Check if the Automatically check for update or Automatic software download setting is set to ON. If this option is set to OFF, select Check for a system software update or Software update to manually check for an update.
Once the Sony TV is running on the latest version try checking if the issue still occurs.
Solution 8: Factory reset the Sony Smart TV
If after performing the troubleshooting methods listed above the issue persists then you should do a factory reset. This step will erase all user settings and resets the TV back to factory specifications.
- On the supplied remote control, press the (Quick Settings) or HOME button depending on your TV.
- Select Settings.
Perform any of these three steps depending on your Smart TV model.
- Select System → About → Reset → Factory data reset → Erase everything → Yes.
- Select Device Preferences → Reset → Factory data reset → Erase everything → Yes.
- Select Storage & reset → Factory data reset → Erase everything → Yes.
Try checking if this fixes the HBO Max app issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does HBO MAX buffer when I play a movie?
A buffering show is most likely caused by a slow internet connection. Try restarting the router and your TV then check if the issue still occurs.
- Can I access my HBO Max subscription on my mobile device?
You can access HBO Max on your smartphone using the dedicated app. Just download HBO Max on your mobile device from the Play Store.
- Is there a way to get HBO Max on an older non-smart Sony TVs?
The three alternative solutions to get HBO Max on an older TV is by using Roku, Amazon Firestick, or Chromecast.
- Why can't I access HBO Max on my TV?
There are a number of factors that can cause this problem. It could be due to a network connection problem. Are you using your home Wi-Fi network? There might be an issue with the Wi-Fi router settings or the Wi-Fi modem. Try connecting the TV to the mobile network connection of your Android phone and check if the same problem occurs.
- Why does HBO Max keep on crashing?
This could be due to a software glitch. Try to clear the cache of the app. If this does not work then try to restart the TV then reinstall HBO Max.