Updating your Windows 10 operating system is recommended by Microsoft so that the performance of your computer will be improved as well as enhanced security features. Although update windows operating system is a simple and easy process, there are instances wherein certain issues can occur that users experienced pc problems which we will be addressing today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series, we will tackle how to fix Windows Update Error 0x800704c7 issue
What to do if you experience Windows Update Error 0x800704c7 on your Windows 10 PC
There are several factors that can cause this particular problem ranging from a corrupt or missing system files to a background processes such as third-party antivirus program on your computer preventing you to complete windows upgrade process thereby 0x800704c7 error occurs.
Before performing the recommended troubleshooting steps below, its best to restart your computer first. This action refreshes the operating system and remove any corrupt temporary data that could be causing the problem.
Solution 1: Temporarily Disable Antivirus Program
Antivirus and Third party antivirus are useful in protecting the computer from malware, although there are times wherein it can interfere processes on your Windows PC.
If you have Windows Security
- At the lower left on your windows, click on the Start or Windows logo key
- Click on Settings which is an icon that looks like a gear. This will open Windows Settings section.
- At Windows settings section, click on Update and Security.
- Click on Windows security which is located at the left pane.
- Click Virus and Threat protection from the protection areas section.
- At the new window, click Manage settings from Virus and Threat Protection settings.
- Toggle OFF Real-time protection.
If you have AVG:
- Double-click on AVG icon located at computer system tray
- Click Temporarily disable AVG protection.
- Select how long you want AVG to be turned off and whether you want AVG to disable its Firewall too. Click on OK to disable the antivirus program.
If you have McAfee
- Double-click on McAfee icon located at computer system tray.
- Click Exit.
- A dialog box warning you that McAfee protection will be turned off, click Yes to disable the antivirus program.
- Double-click on Avast icon located at computer system tray.
- Click Avast shields control.
- Locate the options to disable the program – the options are to disable it for 10 minutes, an hour, until the computer is restarted or permanently (until you yourself turn it back on). Select whatever option suits you best and use it to disable the program.
Restart your computer
After computer completely reboots, check if Windows Update Error 0x800704c7 issues still occurs.
Solution 2: RUN DISM and SFC tool
System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a tool that scans your computer to search for missing or corrupted system files that could be the cause of Update Error 0x800704c7 to occur and fix computer errors.
- At the search bar on your Windows located at the lower left, type Command Prompt.
- Then, right click on the Command Prompt result then click Run as Administrator from the drop-down menu. Click OK if a prompt User account control (UAC) appears,
- Then, type the command sfc /scannow and hit Enter key. SFC scan will begin. Make sure not to abort and just wait for it to complete.
After SFC scan is complete, check the result. If there are indeed missing or corrupted system files found, you need to do a DISM scan.
- At command prompt window, type the following commands in order then press the Enter key after each command
- Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and press Enter
- Type DISM /Online/Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth and press Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete as it can take a while.
After running System File Checker and Deployment Image Servicing and Management scan, check if Windows Update 0x800704c7 error code issue still occurs.
Solution 3: Do a system restore
A recovery tool on Windows called System Restore that restores your system from the time before you experience Update Error 0x800704c7 .
To do this:
- Type Control Panel at the search bar on your Windows located at the lower left.
- Then, Click Control Panel result.
- At Control Panel window, type Recovery at the search bar at upper right then click on Recovery tab.
- Click Open System Restore option.
- Click on Scan for affected programs. This will show programs that will be affected after the system restore. Click close if you are okay with it.
- Click Finish. System Restore process will now start. Wait for it to complete.
- Click Yes when prompt window occurs. Computer will automatically restart.
After computer completely reboots, check if Windows Update Error code 0x800704c7 issue still occurs.
Solution 4: Use Media Creation Tool (MCT)
If the mentioned solution did not resolve Windows Update Error 0x800704c7, you can try to use Media Creation Tool. It is a tool used to update an operating system to the latest version of Windows.
To do this:
- Download Media Creation Tool from Microsoft website.
- After download is complete, run the tool.
- After agreeing to the terms and conditions of the tool, select the option Upgrade this PC now. Then, click Next.
- Select the option “Keep Personal Files”. Wait for it to complete.
Check if Windows Update Error 0x800704c7 issue still occurs.