SD card problems in mobile devices like when your phone cannot read the SD card can be due to many factors. In most cases, the error is attributed to the software. Among the common culprits are corrupted data on the SD card, faulty updates, software bugs and malware. Tackled in this post is the same problem, in which the SD card that is not detected by a Huawei P10 smartphone. Read on to find out what caused the phone to fail to read the SD card and prompts SD card not detected error even if the SIM card is already inserted and mounted.
Before you begin to troubleshoot your device software, verify and ensure that you’re using the correct SD card type that’s compatible with your phone. The Huawei P10 supports microSD card, which uses the SIM 2 slot. Make you got it right.
Also try to insert the SD card on your other device with the same SD card support. If your other device is able to detect or read the SD card, then the problem is on your Huawei P10. It could be attributed to a system error or worst, hardware damage like a broken SD card tray. Hardware damage is likely to blame if you previously dropped or got your phone wet accidentally. In this case, the only way to fix the problem is through service. Software-related problems with the SD card on the other hand, can potentially be remedied at home by some workarounds. If you need more inputs, I’ve mapped out some of the highly recommended procedures and generic solutions for you to try on. Read on for more details.
Before we proceed, if you’re looking for a solution to a problem with your phone, try to browse through our troubleshooting pages to see if we support your device. If your phone is in the list of our supported devices, then go to the troubleshooting page and look for similar problems. Feel free to use our solutions and workarounds. Don’t worry it’s free. But if you still need our help, then fill up our Android issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
First solution: Reboot your phone (soft reset).
A soft reset might be the only thing that’s needed to get things back to work properly on your device, including memory card detection. Your phone might have just encountered some minor glitches that’s why it failed to detect the SD card. That said, try to perform a soft reset or reboot your Huawei P10 to clear any software glitches and refresh the phone system. Here’s how:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the menu options appear.
- Select Power off from the given options then tap OK. Your phone will then shut down.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button again until the phone turns on.
After the soft reset, try to mount your SD card again and see if it’s already detected.
Second solution: Unmount then remove the SD card.
Another possible reason as to why the SD card could not be detected by your phone is because the SD card is not properly seated or dislodged. To rule this out, remove and reseat the SD card on your phone. Unmounting the SD card is recommended before removing the card from your device to prevent corrupting any files saved on the memory card. It will also prevent damaging the memory card itself.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Tap Device Management.
- Select Storage.
- Tap SD card.
- Tap the option to Unmount SD card.
This will disable the SD card, thus making it all set to be removed safely.
Third solution: Update software to the latest version.
Software updates may contain the required fix patch if the problem you’re dealing with is inflicted by certain bugs affecting system functions. This is why keeping the device software up-to-date is recommended. Typically, you will be notified by your Android phone when a new firmware version is available. But if you haven’t seen any update notification, the option may be turned off in the settings. This means you need to manually check and update the firmware at some point. Here’s how:
- Pull down your notifications screen and go to Settings.
- Select Software Update.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install update (if a new firmware is available).
You can set your device to Download updates automatically, if you’d prefer that way. Otherwise, select the option to Download updates manually.
Fourth solution: Format SD card on your Huawei P10.
Your SD card might have corrupted files in it or might be malfunctioning, thus it won’t and can’t be read by your phone. If this is the case, then you can erase or format the SD card through your phone or using a computer. This will delete all information currently saved on the SD card.
- Tap to open the Apps screen.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll to and tap Storage.
- Tap Format SD Card.
- If prompted, read the warning message then tap Format SD Card again to confirm.
- If this option is not available or disabled, tap Unmount SD card option first.
- To complete the SD card formatting, tap Delete All.
Options may vary depending on the Android version and your phone model.
Fifth solution: Reset your Huawei P10 to factory defaults (master reset).
You may opt for a master reset if the problem persists and your Huawei P10 still cannot detect the SD card after exhausting all possible solutions. The problem might be triggered by intricate system errors or software bugs that are tough enough to withstand the previous solutions. This however will wipe everything from your device, therefore creating a backup is necessary. Once you’re all set, proceed with these steps to reset your phone to factory defaults:
- Turn off your phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release both buttons when the Huawei logo appears.
- Press the Volume Down button to scroll to and highlight Wipe data/factory reset option.
- Then press the Power button to confirm selection.
- Tap Wipe data/factory reset again from the menu options and then press the Power button to confirm.
- Factory data reset then instigates and when it’s finished, the Reboot system now option is highlighted.
- Press the Power button to confirm and restart your device.
You can proceed with the initial device setup process as soon as the Huawei Welcome Panel appears on the screen.
Alternatively, you can reset your device through Settings. Here’s how:
- Open the Apps Menu from the Home screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Scroll to and tap to select Advanced settings.
- Tap Backup & Reset.
- Scroll to and tap to select Factory data reset from the given options.
- Tap Reset phone twice to confirm master reset.
Wait until the reset is finished and your phone restarts. By then you can set up your device as new.
Your SD card might have been totally corrupted and can no longer be helped. This means the need to procure a new SD card that’s compatible and supported by the Huawei P10 smartphone. Once you have the new card ready, you can format it first to make sure it’s totally clean or doesn’t contain any malicious files in it. Once formatted, insert it into your phone and then mount the SD card. Mounting the SD card is required to make the card ready to work.
Or you may also take your phone to a Huawei service center for it to be thoroughly assessed by an authorized technician. Doing so will rule hardware damage out from the underlying cause. Your device may need service for it to be able to read the SD card as intended.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- How to fix Huawei P10 / P10 Plus that’s not charging [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix a Huawei P10 smartphone that won’t turn on? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix a Huawei P10 smartphone that is not charging? [Troubleshooting Guide and Charging Tips]
- How to fix Huawei P10 / P10 Plus with screen flickering issue [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to troubleshoot Huawei P9 that can’t send / receive SMS or text messages [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Huawei P9 that won’t turn on or boot up [Troubleshooting Guides]
- How to fix you Huawei P9 that’s not charging [Troubleshooting Guide]