Are you experiencing the HBO Max keeps crashing issue? There are several factors that can cause this issue such as a server outage, poor internet connection, corrupted cached data, or even an outdated app. To fix this you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
HBO Max is a streaming app that can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store or Apple’s App Store. You will need a premium subscription in order to enjoy the services provided by the app which includes all HBO content as well as movies and series from Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, DC, CNN, Turner, Looney Tunes, and more. Most HBO cable subscribers will be able to access HBO Max at no additional charge.
Why does HBO Max app keep kicking me out?
One of the issues that you might experience when using the HBO Max app is when it keeps crashing. This can be a frustrating experience especially if you are planning to relax and enjoy watching your favorite show.
Here’s what you can do to fix this HBO Max crashing issue.
Solution 1: Check the HBO Max servers outage reports
One of the reasons why the HBO Max app keeps crashing is because of a server issue. It’s possible that the HBO Max server is experiencing an outage or a technical glitch. When this happens there’s nothing you can do on your end aside from reporting the problem.
To check the status of the HBO Max outage reports you can visit the DownDetector website. You will get detailed information here on the status of the servers.
Alternatively, you can check the social media accounts of HBO MAX to check for any reports of a server outage.
Solution 2: Power cycle your Smart TV and router
There’s a possibility that the issue is caused by a temporary glitch which can be fixed by restarting your Smart TV and router.
Power cycle process
Turn off the Smart TV then unplug it form the main power socket.
Unplug the router.
Wait for a minute then plug the Smart TV then turn it on.
Plug the router and wait for it to initialize
Connect the Smart TV to your Wi-Fi network.
Try checking if the HBO Max crashing issue still occurs.
Solution 3: Check the internet connection
Another possible cause of the HBO Max keeps crashing issue is a slow internet connection.
You need to make sure that your streaming device is getting a good internet connection by performing a speed test.
Checking your internet speed
Open a browser on your streaming device.
Go to speedtest.net. This is an online speed test tool that is free to use.
Click on Go. This will start the speed test.
In order to prevent any HBO Max crashing issues you should have a good download and upload speed result.
If you have a slow internet connection then you can check if the network problem is caused by your equipment.
- Turn off your streaming device.
- Unplug your Modem and Router from the power source.
- Wait for a minute then plug your modem and router back into the power source.
- Wait until the lights turn back on.
- Turn on your streaming device.
- Reconnect your streaming device to the internet.
If you are using a Wi-Fi network then here’s what you can do to get a stable internet connection.
- Try to disconnect other devices connected to the Wi-Fi router while you use the HBO Max app. This will allow the device to use the maximum internet bandwidth.
- Move the streaming device closer to the router . This will allow the device to get a much stronger Wi-Fi signal.
- If you have a dual band router try to connect to the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4.
Solution 4: Log out then log in to your HBO Max account
Refreshing your account connection to the HBO Max servers will usually fix any crashing issues that you are experiencing.
Re-login to to HBO Max account
- Open the HBO Max app.
- Access your Profile.
- Go to Settings and scroll down to the bottom.
- Tap Sign out.
- Wait for a minute then sign back in to your HBO Max account.
You can also sign out of all connected devices using a browser.
Go to HBOMax.com on your browser
Click your account name.
Choose Manage Devices.
To sign out of all connected devices, select Sign All Devices Out.
Click Sign Out again to confirm.
Sign back in to your account.
Try checking if the HBO Max crashing issue still occurs.
Solution 5: Clear HBO Max App Data
The HBO Max app will usually store cached data to help it perform better. There is a possibility however that this data can get corrupted thus causing the crashing problem.
In order to fix HBO Max crashing issues you should try clearing the HBO Max cache data.
Clear cache and clear data ON firestick
- Scroll down to the Settings menu on Fire TV Stick home.
- Open Applications.
- Scroll down to Manage Installed Applications.
- Select the HBO Max app t.
- Scroll down to Clear cache and click on it.
Clear cache and data on ROKU TV
On the Roku remote press the home button on your remote 5 times, then the up button once, then press the rewind button twice followed by the forward button twice.
Clear cache and data on Android
- Go to Settings on your Android phone or Android TV.
- Select apps.
- Look for HBO max app and select it.
- Force stop the HBO max app.
- Clear the app cache and data.
After clearing the HBO Max app cache try to check if the HBO Max app crashing issue still occurs.
Solution 6: Update HBO Max
In order to fix HBO Max crashing issues you will need to make sure that you are using the latest version of the app.
- Open Google Play Store app .
- At the top right, tap the profile icon.
- Tap Manage apps & device. Apps with an update available are labeled “Update available.”
- Tap Update.
After getting the latest version of the app try checking if the HBO Max crashes issue still occurs.
Solution 7: Reinstall HBO Max
You will experience the HBO Max crashes if the app is corrupted. In order to fix this you should try reinstalling HBO Max.
Reinstall HBO Max on Android
- Find the HBO Max app in your app drawer.
- Press and hold its icon until the selection screen shows up.
- Tap the Uninstall button to delete HBO Max from your system.
- Go to the Google Play Store to reinstall the app.
Launch HBO Max then check if it crashes.
Solution 8: Reset device to factory settings
If the issue still persists at this point then you should consider doing a factory reset on your device. This will bring back the device to its default factory condition. After doing the reset you can install the HBO Max app again then check if the problem still occurs.
- Press the home button on your Roku remote.
- Scroll down or up and select settings.
- Go to system option.
- Go to advanced system settings.
- Select factory reset option/factory reset everything.
- Follow the instruction on the screen to reset your Roku stick or Roku tv.
- Go to the home screen on your firestick or fire tv.
- Select the settings option.
- Select my firetv option.
- Scroll down and select reset to factory defaults.
Samsung smart tv
- Select Settings on your Samsung smart tv.
- Go to the support section/option.
- Select self-diagnosis.
- Select reset smart hub.
LG Smart TV
- Select settings then select all settings.
- Select the general option.
- Scroll down and select Reset to initial settings.
- Select ok to confirm the reset.
Vizio Smart TV
- Press the menu button on the Vizio remote.
- Scroll down and select the system.
- Select reset & admin.
- Select reset to factory defaults.
Solution 9: Contact HBO Max
If HBO Max keeps crashing even after performing the steps listed above then you should try to contact the HBO Max support team or your device manufacturer.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does my HBO Max app keep on crashing?
The app will crash due to a number of reasons such as a server outage, a slow internet speed, or even a corrupted app data.
- Why can't I install HBO Max app?
The HBO Max app is only available in certain countries around the world. If you would like to avail of this streaming service when outside the coverage area then you should consider using a VPN.
- Why can't I open the HBO Max app?
There's a possibility that the app is corrupted. Try to restart the device that the app is installed in. If the issue persists then you should consider uninstalling the app then reinstalling it.
- How many devices can stream HBO Max at once?
You are only allowed to stream to three devices at once. If you stream on more than three devices you will get an error message.
- How do I kick someone out of my HBO Max?
To kick someone out of your account you will have to sign all devices out then log back in again.