Fast charging has become a permanent fixture for Samsung Galaxy devices so a lot of people has become accustomed to using it. In this post, we detail what an average #GalaxyNote8 user can do if fast charging has suddenly stopped.
Today’s problem: Galaxy Note8 fast charging stopped working
Dear thedroidguy, I’m currently facing some issues on my Note 8. It happened after one day it boots itself into download mode and fail to install the download which took about 2 hours, I forced it to shut down after that. Since then, my Note 8 cannot be fast charging, if use charger to charge it required 5 hrs to full from 10%. Currently only charging with power bank is ok. Besides that, it also cant be recognised by my PC when usb connected to phone and OTG is no longer working. Hope you guys can help on this matter. Thank you, Hope to hear from you soon. Your help would be highly appreciated. — Wei Kiat
How to fix Note8 fast charging issue
With its huge 3300 mAh battery, your Note8 battery can take hours to charge unless you use its fast charging feature. We know there’s a huge discrepancy in charging rate between regular charging mode and fast charging mode. However, in order for fast charging to work, there are a number of requirements that must be met.
Samsung did not release the official requirements how their adaptive fast charging feature on the Note8 but based on our own experience, these are the items that should be met:
- Note8 must be using the original charging cable and adapter
- Note8’s screen must be off
- Note8 should not be located in a heated area (to prevent overheating)
- charging port must be in good working order and should not be wet or water damaged
Just like in troubleshooting any other Android issue, there’s no way to directly check for answers. Fast charging troubles in Samsung Galaxy devices can be caused by many variables so let’s discuss each of the possibilities to narrow them down.
Fix #1: Enable fast Note8 charging
This is a simple troubleshooting step that many users often forget. By default, fast charging mode is enabled but in case you inadvertently disabled it, make sure that you double-check it. To do that, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Apps > Settings.
- Touch Search, then search for and select Battery.
- Touch More Options.
- Touch Advanced settings.
- To turn on Fast cable charging, touch the slider.
Fix #2: Restart your Note8
Another basic troubleshooting that might fix your issue is restart. Doing so refreshes the system and may potentially clear an app or operating system bug that prevents your Note8 from fast charging.
Fix #3: Use another set of charging cable and adapter
Try using another Note8 charging cable and adapter. There’s a big chance that this may be where the issue lies especially since your Note8 still charges fast using a power bank. Power surges or sudden power glitches can damage the charging cable and adapter sometimes so consider testing another set of original Samsung USB cable and adapter.
Fix #4: Let your Note8 charge while screen is off
A faster way to charge any device that has a large screen as a Note8 is by turning off the screen or the phone itself. We’ve observed that the Note8 charges more quickly when it’s off so if using another charging cable and adapter won’t make any difference, try to charge the device when its screen is not on, or when it’s off.
Fix #5: Install Android updates
Whether you’re experiencing an issue or not, it’s good not skip Android updates at all. It’s also worth remembering that some updates contain fixes for known issues. To minimize glitches, be sure to keep your system up-to-date all the time.
Fix #6: Charge in Safe Mode
Sometimes, a poorly coded app may interfere with how Android works. If the charging problem occured right after you installed a new app, there’s a chance it may be the cause. To see if one of the installed apps is causing the problem, restart your Note8 to safe mode, then see if fast charging works.
To restart your Note8 to safe mode, follow these steps:
- Turn the device off.
- Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
- When “SAMSUNG” appears on the screen, release the Power key.
- Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
- Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
- Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
- Charge the phone again.
If your Note8 charges fine (fast charging works) only in safe mode, then that means a third party app is causing it. To determine which of your apps is problematic, you must uninstall them one by one. Be sure to check if fast charging works after you uninstall an app. Repeat this cycle until you’ve identified the culprit.
Fix #7: Master reset
Wiping your phone is the last troubleshooting step that you can do in this case. Doing so will revert all software settings back to their defaults. If there’s a software bug causing the problem, then factory reset should be able to handle it. Just be sure to back your personal data up first to avoid losing them.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
- When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe data / factory reset.
- Press Power button to select.
- Press the Volume down key until ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted.
- Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
- When the master reset is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
- Press the Power key to restart the device.
Fix #8: Contact Samsung
If all the suggestions above won’t restore your Note8’s fast charging mode, that’s a clear sign that you have a hardware malfunction. Contact Samsung and let them check the hardware. It may be a charging port issue though it can really be anything at this point.