What to do if Galaxy J7 screen is cracked and won’t turn on after accidental drop

Do you have broken or cracked screen and wondering what you need to do moving forward? Are you undecided whether or not to send the device in? Today’s #GalaxyJ7 troubleshooting article should point you to the right direction.

Problem #1: Galaxy J7 screen is cracked and won’t turn on after accidental drop

Good Morning! I have a Samsung  Galaxy J7. I dropped it and it cracked in the upper right hand corner. All I have is a black screen. I tried to turn off and turn back on, but without any light at all coming on I have no idea if it is on or not. I even tried plugging it in to charge since the light always comes on. BUT NOTHING. I NEED to get my contacts and MORE importantly my photos. Which I guess were not saved to the gmail account. ANY ideas would be a huge help. I can replace the phone, no biggie but I really NEED my photos (some can never be replaced)  Any ideas??? Thanks.

Solution: There’s 99% chance that your phone has become totally dead at this time so your case will most likely result to repair. For the sake of the remaining 1% chance however, these are the things that you can try:

Use another charging cable and adapter

To see if the current pair of charging cable and adapter is the reason why your J7 is not charging and thus, not turning back on, you want to use another known pair of charging accessories. If you don’t have a readily available pair to try, visit your local Samsung store and use their official J7 charger instead.

Charge for at least 1 hour

Sometimes, a Lithium-ion battery may lose enough power during normal operation that it may take some time for it to recover. Once you have another known working charging accessories, be sure to charge your phone for at least an hour before turning it back on. If the issue lies on the battery as mentioned above, you should be able fix it fairly easily by simply recharging the phone.

Boot to alternate boot mode

To see if there’s a software issue causing the screen to stay black when on normal mode, you can try to restart your device to either Recovery Mode or Odin Mode. Any of these modes are independent of Android. They are independent codes and don’t need Android to run. If the cause of the black screen issue you’re experiencing is due to an Android bug, then the screen should work in any of these modes.

Keep in mind that this troubleshooting step is only applicable if your phone still shows signs that it’s turning on (there’s LED light or still making vibration and/or notification sounds). If your phone is totally unresponsive, don’t waste your time even attempting the steps below.

These are the steps on how to boot your S8 Plus to alternate modes. Check the steps below on How to boot your J7 to Recovery Mode:

  1. Turn off the device. This is important. You won’t be able to go to Recovery Mode unless the phone is off. If you can’t turn it off, wait until the phone drains the battery.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. If your screen works and you’ll the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options). You should now be in Recovery Mode.

How to boot your Galaxy J7 to Odin or Download Mode:

  1. Turn off the device. This is important. You won’t be able to go to Recovery Mode unless the phone is off. If you can’t turn it off, wait until the phone drains the battery.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Down key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. Wait for your device to boot to Download Mode. If the screen works, then the problem must have something to do with Android.

Screen replacement

If your Galaxy J7 is totally off, unresponsive, and won’t boot to any of the alternate boot modes, that means you have a bad hardware issue at hand. Contact Samsung for repair or replacement.

Problem #2: How to recover files from a Galaxy J7 with broken screen

I was using my phone then it suddenly vibrates and the screen turned off. I tried to turn it on and charge it but it only vibrates. I tried everything but still no response, only the vibration. I went to the technician and says its LCD the other technician says it’s motherboard. What do you think the problem is? Is there any chance to fix? This is my phone problem.. We have another phone, it is J7 Pro also, my daughter dropped it then damage the screen, I know it’s LCD problem, I can still see some apps but it’s not clear and when I touch it to open, it just turned into black screen, Is there any way that I can restore all my data on both phone? Please let me know. Thank you.

Solution: Unless the screen assembly of both phones are working normally, there’s no way to recover any files from them. Keep in mind that a smartphone’s screen not only functions as a TV monitor but also as a sensor (made possible by digitizer) that captures your finger touches. Even if the monitor works, which means that phone still shows images normally, you’ll be unable to access the operating system if the digitizer (the thin layer on top of the monitor) is broken or defective. To see if problems on both phones lie on the screen only, you have to replace each of their screen assembly first. This should be done first before replacing the motherboard.

Problem #3: Galaxy J7 has missing Set Restrictions option under Messages app, can’t send and receive MMS

Hello! my name is Josiah and well… I’ve been having an issue with my Galaxy J7. I can’t send or receive MMS messages. This is a different problem than anything i have read. Here’s why.

I noticed something missing in my built in Messages app. If I go to Settings / More Settings / Multimedia messages, I only have 4 options (Group conversations, Delivery options, Auto Retrieve and Roaming auto retrieve. I do not have the option of Set restrictions. From reading other articles on your sight, I understand that this is what is needed for large file to transfer back and forth (MMS). I was also limited to the 160 character SMS restriction. If I sent an SMS message larger than 160 characters, it would be converted to an MMS message and then not be sent. I can’t receive an MMS message either. I have installed ChompSMS and that has allowed me to send large SMS messages but still I can’t send a photo MMS message. Even after trying every ‘solution’ or trouble shooting processe that you guys have offered with a previous post with the same issues my phone still does not have that specific setting. Apparently not many people experience this and it has only been happening with the SM-G930R6. I’m still in need of a solution. ***Please don’t recommend me trying anything that has already been listed in this post***. Is there anything else I could try? and no, a 3rd party or Samsung certified repair shop can Not* fix or help me with this issue.

Solution: If your Galaxy J7 was provided by your carrier, Set Restrictions option must had been removed. Carriers usually modify vanilla Android in order to promote their own products, or to make limitations to their service. We can confirm that the international/global  version Galaxy J7 devices do have Set Restrictions option. If you have a carrier-branded J7, then you should talk to your carrier on how to resolve the issue.

Problem #4: Galaxy J7 charges to 0% but won’t turn on

So I was using my phone and I’m sure it was at 17% and my phone was kind of heated but before charging my phone I went to check on my message and my phone suddenly turned off. So I went to charge it and it shows the charging symbol and shows 0% so I left it for a bit and went to check and it was Still at 0%.

So I tried turning on my phone to my home screen and I did that about 3 times but it kept turning off and my phone was kinda heated so I kept the charger off and find a place to cool down my phone and after that I charged it and my phone wouldn’t turn on anymore. I’ve tried every mothed of pressing down the power button, volume button and the home screen button but It didn’t work. So I’m afraid that my phone wouldn’t work anymore. I also have one question which is would my phone go back to normal if I took off the battery and re-put it? Please help me fix my phone. 

Solution: There’s a chance that the battery may be the reason why your J7 may no longer be turning on. Make sure to let your phone charge for a couple hours before attempting to power it back on. If you’ve already done that ahead of time, then you should consider replacing the battery. We suggest that you visit your local Samsung dealership and get an original battery from them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *