A number of players have reached out to us for help with regard to the Starbound Network Exception error that they have encountered when attempting to join the multiplayer game. If you are directed to this page because you have encountered or currently experiencing the same problem for this game, then we suggest you continue reading our article. As we will talk about this error and include the best solutions for this issue that prevents some users from playing the action-adventure video game with their friends.
Causes of Starbound Network Exception Error
Network Exception error basically exists when there is a problem with the router where the game is currently connected. However, there are other factors that can trigger this problem for the Starbound game which we have enumerated below.
Game server maintenance.
A server downtime is one of the common factors why there are instances when players are unable to play or join multiplayer settings on some games. If there are game server outages or an ongoing maintenance, it can affect some features of the application.
Damaged game files.
Broken or corrupted files stored in the system can also be the culprit why Starbound Network Exception error appears on the screen when trying to join an online match.
Router’s UPnP is not active.
When the router you are using has a Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) feature but it is not activated or turned on yet, then this error will probably exist when playing Starbound. As it will disregard any incoming request from other devices or applications.
Possible firewall restrictions.
The error can be due to the firewall of your computer blocking the Starbound application from running properly. The Windows firewall is designed to protect your device and stop malwares on the web from causing any harm to your device. If it detects suspicious files from the Starbound application or identifies the multiplayer server as a possible threat, it will definitely prevent your Windows PC from connecting to the game server.
Network settings limitation.
A restriction from your network settings can be the reason why the Starbound error was encountered when attempting to play with your friends.
How to Fix Starbound Network Exception Error
As it is difficult to pinpoint the main reason why Starbound Network Exception error exists, you may need to apply different solutions to resolve this problem. Here are the usual fixes that we have gathered from other players who were dealing with the same issue before.
Fix #1: Check for any reported server outages.
Always check the Starbound website for any information regarding outages or scheduled maintenance on their server when this type of error occurs. This is applicable when you have experienced this issue only in this game.
Fix #2: Verify the integrity of Starbound game files.
One common solution for games acting up on Steam is by checking the integrity of the files. This feature available on Steam is convenient especially when you are not sure if there are files missing or damaged. Ensure to restart your computer first before doing the following steps:
- Launch Steam on your Windows PC and sign in to your account.
- Go to the Library tab.
- Search the Starbound application and right-click on the game.
- Select Manage.
- Then select Properties next.
- On the Properties Menu, select the Local Files tab.
- Click the Verify the integrity of game files from the options. This process will take several minutes to complete. According to Steam Support, there are one or more files which may fail to verify and that is normal.
Fix #3: Change the Windows Firewall settings.
Allow the Starbound application to run properly in your computer by adjusting the Firewall restrictions. Below are the steps to add an exception on Windows 10 software:
- Click the Start Menu located at the bottom left of the screen.
- Select Settings.
- Select Windows Security on the left pane.
- Choose Firewall and network protection.
- Select Allow an app through firewall option.
- Then select Change settings next.
- Check the app you want to function properly on your computer. In case the Starbound app is not present in the list, select the option Allow another app found at the bottom of the page.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Fix #4: Turn on the UPnP feature on your router.
As mentioned above, it is necessary to turn on the uPnP feature if this is present in your router. Once the feature is enabled, it will automatically open and close ports to help connect your device on the game’s servers. As settings may vary from one router to another, you may contact the Customer Support for your router if you need assistance in activating the said feature.
Fix #5: Set Port Forwarding on your router.
Port forwarding is also a common process in fixing gaming issues like the Starbound Network Exception code. This action can also improve the overall gameplay and resolves internet connection concerns. Some players also create a port forward to protect the device from unauthorized access and unwanted traffic from different servers.
OTHER INTERESTING ARTICLES:
- How To Get Or Unlock All Steam Game Achievements | NEW 2021
- How To Fix COD Warzone “Searching For A Match” Bug | NEW 2021
- How To Fix League Of Legends Authentication Service Error | NEW 2021
- How To Fix DOTA 2 Connection Issues | NEW & Updated 2021
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos and tutorials.