Rust won’t launch? Rust is one of the most popular online multiplayer survival games out there. But like any game, issues can creep up that prevent you from playing. One common problem is when Rust simply won’t launch on your computer.
If you are facing this frustrating issue, don’t worry – there are several things you can try to get Rust running again. In this guide, we will cover the top 12 fixes to try when Rust won’t launch.
1. Update Your Graphics Drivers
Outdated or corrupt graphics drivers are one of the main culprits behind games not launching properly. To update your drivers:
- Open Device Manager
- Expand the Display Adapters section
- Right click on your graphics card > Update Driver
- Search automatically for updated driver software
Be sure to download drivers directly from your graphics card manufacturer like NVIDIA or AMD. Updated drivers can resolve a variety of game launch issues.
2. Verify Integrity of Game Files
Corrupt game files can prevent Rust from starting up properly. To verify and fix the integrity of game files:
- Open Steam
- Right click Rust > Properties
- Navigate to Local Files tab > Verify Integrity of Game Files
This will scan your game files and fix any errors.
3. Run Steam as Administrator
Sometimes running Steam with admin access is required for games to function properly. To do this:
- Locate Steam executable
- Right click > Run as Administrator
- Launch Rust
4. Reinstall/Update C++ Redistributables
The Visual C++ Redistributables are required libraries for many games. An outdated or missing version can cause launch issues.
- Uninstall current C++ versions through Apps & Features
- Download and install the latest redistributables
5. Perform a Clean Boot
Other programs running in the background can sometimes interfere with games. Doing a clean boot prevents this.
- Open msconfig
- Go to Services tab > Hide Microsoft Services > Disable All
- Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable unneeded startups
Now try launching Rust normally. If it works, re-enable services one by one until you find the culprit.
6. Add Exceptions to Antivirus/Firewall
Overzealous antivirus or firewall software can block games from launching properly. Add exceptions for the Rust executable and Steam folder.
7. Launch Rust as Administrator
Try manually running the Rust executable as administrator:
- Navigate to Rust install location
- Right click RustClient.exe > Run as Administrator
This resolves some permission issues.
8. Update Windows
Outdated Windows systems can cause compatibility issues. Install the latest Windows updates through Settings.
9. Reinstall Rust
If all else fails, completely uninstalling and reinstalling Rust can fix stubborn launch problems:
- Uninstall Rust through Steam
- Delete remaining Rust files through Steamapps
- Reinstall Rust on Steam
This gives you a clean slate.
10. Roll Back Graphics Drivers
If a recent driver update caused issues, roll back to a previous graphics driver:
- Open Device Manager
- Right click graphics card > Properties
- Navigate to Driver tab
- Click Roll Back Driver
11. Disable Steam Overlay
The Steam overlay can sometimes interfere with games. Disable it by:
- Right click Rust in Steam > Properties
- Uncheck Enable Steam Overlay
12. Check Hard Drive Health
Bad sectors on your hard drive can cause games to not read properly. Check your drive health with a tool like CHKDSK or Hard Disk Sentinel. If needed, replace the drive.
Final thoughts on Rust Won’t Launch
By following the troubleshooting steps above, you should be able to resolve the Rust launch problem and get back to playing this popular survival game. Be sure to keep your system and software updated to prevent future launch issues. Let us know which fix worked for you!