Is your Insignia TV flickering? There are various factors that can cause this screen flickering issue such as a software glitch, settings issue or even a loose or faulty HDMI cable. To fix this, you will need to perform several troubleshooting steps.
Insignia is the in-house brand of Best Buy that’s popular for their Smart TV line of products. This brand offers several different Smart TVs, in sizes as small as 32 inches and as large as 70 inches. Most Insignia TVs have either Amazon Fire TV or Roku TV built-in making them ideal for use in a home entertainment system.
Why is my Insignia TV screen flickering?
One of the issues that Insignia TV owners might experience is when the screen flickers. This can happen after you turn on the TV or when watching you favorite show. There are instances when the flickering problem disappears on its own but more often you will need to find out what’s causing it.
Here’s what you need to do to fix Insignia TV flickering problems.
Solution 1: Power cycle your Insignia TV
The first troubleshooting step you should do when dealing with the flickering problem on your TV is to do a restart. This will refresh the TV software and eliminate any temporary glitches that could be causing the problem.
Power cycle Insignia Smart TV
- Unplug the Insignia TV power cord from the power outlet and wait for a full minute.
- Hold the power button on the TV for at least 10 seconds to discharge any residual power.
- Plug the Insignia TV back and turn it on.
Try to check if the flickering issue on your television.
Solution 2: Check Your HDMI Cables
One of the reasons why you will experience the TV flickering issue is because of loosely connected HDMI cables. Try removing the HDMI cables then plug them back in making sure that they are secured tightly.
Sometimes the problem can already be caused by a defective HDMI cable. If this is what’s causing the problem then you will need to use a different HDMI cable.
Solution 3: Reset picture settings on your Insignia TV
There are instances when the flickering starts after you made changes to the picture settings on your TV. You should try to reset the picture settings of your Insignia TV and check if this fixes the problem.
Resetting the picture settings
- Open the Menu using the Insignia TV remote control.
- Access the Picture Menu.
- Go to Advanced Settings.
- Select Reset Picture Settings.
Solution 4: Update the Insignia TV software
You should make sure that your Insignia TV is running on the latest software version as this will usually have several improvements as well as bug fixes that could address the display problem you are experiencing.
To update the TV firmware, you need a:
- High-speed Internet connection
- USB flash drive
Updating Insignia TV software to the latest version
- On the Help menu, select System Info, then write down your model, revision, and firmware information.
- Insert USB drive to your computer.
- On a computer, go to www.insigniaproducts.com, then click Support & Service.
- Locate the firmware that matches the Model and Rev id of your Insignia TV.
- Click on the applicable firmware link , a pop up box appears select “Save” and
- choose a destination other than your USB drive (i.e. desktop).
- Verify the file has downloaded to on your selected destination.
- Open the folder; copy the .BIN file from the folder to the root directory of your USB
- Once the file move is complete, safely remove your USB drive.
- Power off your Insignia TV.
- Insert USB device into the SERVICE or USB PORT; located in one of 3 places, back,
- side or bottom. The correct port will be labeled either Service or USB.
- Power on the Insignia TV with your remote control or by using the power button on the Insignia TV.
- The Insignia TV will automatically start the firmware upgrade process follow the instructions that
- the Insignia TV displays.
After updating the software try to check if the TV starts working properly.
Solution 5: Factory reset your Insignia TV
If display problem persists, then you will need to perform a factory reset. This will restore your TV back to its original default settings. It’s usually performed when the TV software is corrupted, the TV has some settings issues, or certain apps you installed is affecting the performance of the TV.
Full factory reset Insignia TV
- Navigate to your TV “Settings” using the TV buttons.
- Select the “System” option.
- Select the option “Reset to Factory Defaults”, and your TV will revert to its factory settings.
After performing the factory reset try to check if the screen flashing issue still occurs.
Solution 7: Contact Insignia customer support
In case the Insignia TV still flickers even after performing all of the troubleshooting methods listed above then you should contact the nearest customer service center as this might already be caused by a faulty hardware component. If your TV is still under warranty then it will either be repaired or replaced at no extra cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I stop my TV from flickering?
If your TV starts flickering after a few hours of working then this might be caused by the TV boards getting hot. To fix this you should turn off the TV until it cools down then turn it on again.
How do I know if my HDMI cable is bad?
Sparkling in the picture.
Fuzzy or blurry picture.
No picture or intermittent picture.
No sound or intermittent sound.
Weird colors in the picture.
Remotes don’t work.
How do I clean my HDMI port?
Disconnect the HDMI cable from your TV then clean out any dust in the cable ends and HDMI ports on the devices with a lint-free cloth and denatured alcohol.
Why is the picture on my TV too dim?
This is usually caused by a picture setting issue. The brightness level might be too low, the power saving feature might be enabled, or the program coming from the connected device such as a Blu Ray player is just too dark.
How much does it cost to repair the screen of my new TV?
If your TV is new and under warranty then you can have this repaired or replaced for free.