Using a PlayStation 4 controller on Steam used to be difficult – but now it isn’t. Instead of downloading and customizing third-party applications, all you need to do is adjust some Steam settings to connect up your PS4 controller to your PC or laptop. Yes, Steam client now offers this support in their native application — there’s no more need to fumble around with frustrating third-party tools. If you’re wondering how to use your PS4 DualShock 4 controller on Steam, read on.
How to use a PS4 controller on Steam
Connecting up your PlayStation 4 controller is really easy. You’ll need to have your DualShock 4 handy, as well as the Steam application on your computer. Open the application, and by going to settings and then going to controller settings, you can use your DualShock 4 with Steam. You’ll just have to simply toggle on “PS4 Configuration Support” and plug your DualShock 4 into your computer’s USB port. It will bring up a window to personalize the controller’s name, lightbar brightness, color, and saturation as well as turn rumble on or off.
Below are the exact steps that you must do to connect your PS4 controller to Steam:
If you want to access your PS4 controller settings when in the middle of a game, simply press the PS button on the controller.
- Unplug any nearby PS4 console to avoid any interference.
- Check for Steam update. Open Steam client and make sure that it’s updated. If an update is available for Steam, install it first before proceeding. Once Steam has restarted following an update, continue with the setup below.
- Open Steam application.
- Using a USB cable, plug in your PS4 controller to your PC.
- On the Steam client, select View>Settings.
- Go to Controller.
- Click on General Controller Settings.
- Select the PlayStation Configuration Support box.
- Under Detected Controllers section, select your PS4 controller.
- Then, select Preferences.
- You can then create a profile for your PS4 controller by changing its name, LED color, or toggle the rumble feature. Once you have all of those settings configured, you can approve them, and start using your DualShock 4 PS4 controller with any games on Steam that have controller support. Simply launch your favorite Steam game and see if your PS4 is now working.
As you can see, it’s extremely easy to setup your DualShock 4 with Steam on your PC. With just a few small configurations, you can start gaming with your PC controller in the snap of your fingers.
Other interesting articles:
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel
for more troubleshooting videos and tutorials.