Learning how to factory reset or hard reset your Xiaomi Mi 8 can come handy if you need to troubleshoot. In this short guide, we show you how it’s done. Simply follow the two sets of instructions below and you should be okay.
How to hard reset on Xiaomi Mi 8 (factory reset or master reset)
There are two ways to factory reset, also known as hard reset, on Xiaomi Mi 8. The first one is done by going under Settings while the other one is by using a hardware button combination to access Recovery Mode. Learn how to do each of these methods below.
Method 1: How to hard reset on Xiaomi Mi 8 via Settings Menu
This should be the first option that you need to use if you plan on wiping the device. The steps are easy and can be done under 2 minutes. Before you proceed, make sure to follow these two basic things:
- Create a backup of your personal data such as photos, documents, contacts, messages, etc.
- Remove any or all Google account from the device (this is to avoid having problems with Google’s Factory Reset Protection later on).
Once you’ve taken care of the two items above, follow the steps below to begin wiping the Xiaomi Mi 8:
- Open Settings app.
- Tap Additional settings.
- Tap on Backup and reset
- Select Factory data reset.
- Click on Reset Phone and wait 10 seconds.
- Tap on Next and again wait 10 seconds
- Confirm by pressing OK!
- Set the phone up again.
Method 2: How to hard reset on Xiaomi Mi 8 via Recovery Menu
In the event that Settings menu is inaccessible due to a problem, you can also hard reset your Xiaomi Mi 8 by pressing a combination of hardware buttons. If done correctly, you should be able to reach Recovery Mode fine to allow you to proceed with factory reset. Like with the first method, make sure to create a backup of your personal data (if possible), and remove your Google accounts ahead of time. If you can’t do any of them, then simply ignore them and proceed.
- Turn off the device. This is important. If you can’t turn it off, you’ll never be able to boot to Recovery Mode. If you are not able to shut the device off regularly via the Power button, wait until the phone’s battery is drained. Then, charge the phone for 30 minutes before booting to Recovery Mode.
- Press and hold Volume Up key and Power key on your Xiaomi Mi 8 at the same. You may need to do this for a few moments until you get a response.
- Once you see the Xiaomi Mi logo, you can release the button.
- Your phone has entered recovery mode, now you can select the language Xiaomi Redmi Recovery
- Now your device will enter the stock recovery mode
- You can navigate using Volume Up and Volume Down buttons.
- Now select Wipe/Data and press Power button to confirm
- That’s it! Set your phone up again and you should be good.