There are two ways to hard reset a Sony Xperia XZ2. Unlike most Android devices, you won’t be able to hard reset using hardware buttons. Instead, you have to use a special software called Xperia Companion in place of the traditional factory reset using buttons.
Before we proceed, be reminded that we provide answers to Android problems. If you are looking for solutions to your own #Android issue, you can contact us by using the link provided at the bottom of this page. When describing your issue, please be as detailed as possible so we can easily pinpoint a relevant solution. If you can, kindly include the exact error messages you are getting to give us an idea where to start. If you have already tried some troubleshooting steps before emailing us, make sure to mention them so we can skip them in our answers.
Prior to performing the hard reset, it is important that you remove your Google account from the device first. If you don’t want to do that, then be sure to enter the correct username and password for that account after a factory reset.
To remove a Google account from your Sony Xperia XZ2:
- Open Settings.
- Tap Accounts.
- Select the Google account that you want to remove.
- Tap REMOVE ACCOUNT.
- Tap REMOVE ACCOUNT again to confirm.
Once you’ve removed your Google account, any security features that are linked to your Google account will no longer be available.
Now that you’ve deleted your Google account, you can then begin the hard reset procedure.
Method 1: Hard reset Sony Xperia XZ2 via Settings
- Create a backup of your files. If you have an encrypted SD card, be sure to remove its encryption first as you’ll lose the encryption key in your phone after a factory reset.
- Open Settings app.
- Tap System.
- Tap Advanced.
- Tap Reset options.
- Tap Erase all data (factory reset).
- Tap Reset phone.
- If prompted, enter your screen unlock option (PIN, Password, or Pattern).
- To confirm, tap Erase everything.
Method 2: Hard reset Sony Xperia XZ2 using Xperia Companion
If you have trouble turning on your Sony Xperia XZ2, or if you’re locked out (like when you forget your screen unlock option, the only way to gain access again is by wiping the device using Xpreria Companion software. This method only works if you know the Google account username and password.
- Make sure that Xperia Companion is installed on your PC or Mac.
- Open the Xperia Companion software on the computer and click Software repair on the main screen.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall the software and complete the repair.