One of the most prevalent issues encountered by Android users is on calling like unable to make or receive phone calls. Different factors can cause such problems to occur. Among the common culprits include but not limited to account-related issues, network problems, invalid settings, faulty updates, invalid/bad SIM card, and worst, hardware damage. Most of the possible triggers are software-related, which means there’s a higher chance of resolving the issue at home.
Highlighted in this post are a few suggested workarounds and generic solutions to a problem on making and receiving phone calls on the Sony Xperia XZ Premium smartphone. Read on to find out what to do whenever you’ll encounter issues when attempting to make calls or trouble getting phone calls on the same device.
Before we proceed, if you’re looking for a solution to a problem with your phone, try to browse through our troubleshooting pages to see if we support your device. If your phone is in the list of our supported devices, then go to the troubleshooting page and look for similar problems. Feel free to use our solutions and workarounds. Don’t worry it’s free. But if you still need our help, then fill up our Android issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot Sony Xperia XZ Premium that can’t make / receive phone calls
Before you troubleshoot your device software, verify and ensure that your account status and services are good. Some carriers would implement a temporary disconnection or soft disconnection to accounts with unsettled issues. Outgoing services will then be disabled or unavailable. Contact your carrier or service provider to check your account status first. If everything is good but you still cannot make or receive phone calls on your Xperia XZ Premium handset, then you can begin troubleshooting with these methods:
First solution: Reboot your phone (soft reset).
Minor software glitches can also affect the phone’s calling functions and in some ways may prevent incoming and outgoing calls. Clearing the glitches will likely fix it. The simplest way to clear minor glitches and errors from the phone is system is a soft reset or simply by restarting the device. Here’s how a soft reset is done on your Sony Xperia XZ Premium smartphone:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds.
- Release the button when the menu options appear.
- Tap Power off and then tap OK. Your phone will then shut down.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button again until the phone reboots.
Allow your device to finish restarting and then do a test call to see if things are already working. This won’t affect any data you’ve stored on the internal memory, hence won’t result to data loss.
Second solution: Manage call settings.
There are some device features that will automatically bar incoming calls when enabled. If you can make but cannot receive phone calls on your Xperia XZ Premium device, then try to check these settings and disable them, if necessary.
Disable call forwarding. With call forwarding enabled, incoming calls can be routed to another phone number, another device, or answering service. To make sure this isn’t the reason why you are not receiving phone calls on your Xperia XZ Premium device, try to turn this feature off. Here’s how:
- Tap the ICN Sony app dialer icon.
- Tap the Menu icon (three vertical dots).
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Calling accounts.
- Select a SIM card.
- Tap Call forwarding, then select Voice.
- Tap the option to Turn off.
Try to make a test call with Call forwarding disabled on your phone and see if calls already get through.
Disable call barring. If you cannot receive phone calls only from a certain contact or phone number, then it’s possible that the number is blocked. To rule this out, turn off call barring feature on your Xperia XZ Premium with these steps:
- Slide your finger downwards from the top of the home screen.
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Tap Call.
- Scroll to and tap Call Barring.
- Tap to disable call barring options.
- If prompted, enter your barring password to confirm.
Make a test call while call barring is disabled to see if it’s already working as intended. If not, then move on to the next applicable solution.
Third solution: Turn Flight mode on and off.
You can use many phone functions when flight mode is turned on, but you can’t send messages or make calls. To make sure this is not what’s preventing you from making calls on your Xperia XZ Premium device, check and turn off Flight (Airplane) mode with these steps:
- Slide your two fingers downwards starting from the top of the Home screen.
- Tap the Airplane mode icon to turn the feature on. All wireless connectivity features are disabled automatically.
- After a few seconds, tap the Airplane mode icon again to turn it off and enable other features.
This trick somehow refreshes network connectivity functions on the phone and clears any transpiring errors. Give it a try and see how it works.
Fourth solution: Switch between network modes.
There are times when a device couldn’t carry out its calling functions due to invalid network mode selection. To rule this out from the underlying cause, try to switch to a different network mode and then do a test call to find out if any of them works. Here’s how it’s done:
- Slide your two fingers downwards from the top of the Home screen to open the Control panel.
- Tap the Settings icon (wheel-like image) on the upper-right side of the screen.
- Scroll to and tap More from the given options.
- Tap Mobile networks.
- Tap on Preferred network type.
- Tap to select a different network type then do a test call to see if it works. Among the options are 3G only, 2G only, 3G (preferred)/2G, and 4G (preferred)/3G/2G.
The available network modes may vary between regions. If you set your device to automatic network selection, then it will always locate the network with the highest data speed and best signal. But if that won’t work, then that’s when you need to try other network mode options.
Reboot your phone after choosing a network mode to use and then try to see if that will work.
Fifth solution: Reset your phone to factory defaults (master reset).
You may have to consider performing a factory reset or master reset if the problem persists after exhausting all possible means to fix the problem on your end. There might be some tough bugs that caused complex system errors, which therefore requires a complete system wipe out to be resolved. Please note though that this reset will delete all your critical data and personal information stored on the internal memory. Thus, it is recommended to create a backup beforehand. Once the backup is finished, you can proceed with these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap System.
- Tap Reset.
- Select Factory reset from the given options.
- Tap Reset phone.
- If prompted, enter your device password, PIN, or screen unlock pattern to continue.
- Tap Erase everything to confirm
- Wait until the reset is finished.
Your device should restart when it’s done and then restores factory default settings and options. Set up all necessary features including Wi-Fi networks then try to see if calling functions are now working as intended.
Majority, if not all software-related issues in mobile devices are resolved by a master reset. In the case where the problem persists after resetting, it’s possible that your device needs service.
Meanwhile, if you’re seeing errors pertaining to the SIM card like Invalid SIM, No SIM card detected, and the like, then removing and reinstalling the SIM card can help. Also check and ensure that the SIM card has no signs of damage like scratches or dents.
If none of the prior solutions worked and your Xperia XZ Premium smartphone still cannot make or receive phone calls, then you can take your device to a nearby Sony service center and have it diagnosed by an authorized technician. Your phone might have obtained some sort of physical or liquid damage, requiring service.
Or you can also contact your network service provider or carrier to report the issue and ask further recommendations. If you suspect that the problem is attributed to a bad SIM card, then you can request for a new SIM card replacement. Otherwise, have them reactivate your SIM card and services, if necessary.
Connect with us
We are always open to your problems, questions and suggestions, so feel free to contact us by filling up this form. This is a free service we offer and we won’t charge you a penny for it. But please note that we receive hundreds of emails every day and it’s impossible for us to respond to every single one of them. But rest assured we read every message we receive. For those whom we’ve helped, please spread the word by sharing our posts to your friends or by simply liking our Facebook and Google+ page or follow us on Twitter.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- How to fix Facebook app that keeps crashing, won’t load on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium smartphone [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do if your Sony Xperia XZ Premium does not detect your SD card (easy steps)
- How to fix No SIM card error on your Sony Xperia XZ Premium smartphone [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do if MMS won’t send on your Sony Xperia XZ Premium? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix a Sony Xperia XZ Premium that keeps freezing and lagging? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Sony Xperia XZ Premium that turned off and won’t turn back on (easy steps)