This post will walk you through activating a digital wellbeing feature on the latest Google Pixel smartphone that helps you control phone usage during nighttime or certain hours when you’re less likely to use apps on your device. Here’s a quick guide to enable Bedtime mode on Google Pixel 7.
Estimate Cost : 0
Time Needed : 5 minutes
Bedtime mode was first introduced by Google in 2023. This feature was first integrated in the Google Clock app. When enabled, Bedtime mode mutes your phone, dims the wallpaper and changes the screen to black and white during bedtime. Only calls from starred contacts, repeat callers and alarms are allowed.
If you’re wondering how to set up and use this feature on your recently acquired Pixel 7 smartphone, feel free to refer to these subsequent instructions.
- To get started, access the Apps tray and then tap the Settings icon.
Simply swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to launch the Apps tray and then tap on the Settings/Gear icon to launch the Settings app.
- While in the Settings menu, scroll to find Digital Wellbeing & parental controls and then tap on it to proceed.
On the succeeding menu, you will see relevant features such as screen time, app timers and bedtime schedules.
- To continue, tap Bedtime mode.
The Bedtime mode setup screen will load up next.
- Toggle to turn on the switch next to Do Not Disturb for Bedtime mode and then tap Next to proceed to the setup screen.
On the succeeding window, you will see different options for you to set a Bedtime period.
- Set or change the start time by tapping on Start.
Doing so opens a clock window that you can use to adjust the schedule.
- Adjust the clock window and set it to your preferred start time then tap OK to save.
Simply drag the time pointer to your desired start time.
- To set or change the end time, tap End and then set your preferred time on the clock window. After setting the end time, tap OK to save changes.
Just drag the pointer to set it to your preferred end time.
- To set the day(s), tap to mark the day(s) that you’d like Bedtime mode to activate on your phone. Just tap to mark the day initials that are lined up beneath the Start and End time.
The new set schedule will then be used as the basis for your device to activate Bedtime mode.
There is also an option for you to activate Bedtime mode while your phone is charging.
- To use this feature, simply tap Turn on while charging.
With this selection, Bedtime mode automatically turns on while charging after your specified start time.
- After making all necessary changes to the Bedtime mode settings, tap Done at the bottom. You will be routed next to the permission settings menu.
Here, you will be asked whether you would like to allow access to your app usage and sensor data.
- Simply toggle to turn on the option that’s applicable to you and then tap Allow at the bottom. If you deny access to this information, tap Don’t allow instead.
The Bedtime mode screen will load up next.
- While in the Bedtime mode screen, you will see the main toggle to override the previously setup schedule and enable the feature manually.
Simply tap the Turn on now button if you want to put your phone in Bedtime mode instantly.
- You can also set a Bedtime routine if you want. To do this, simply tap Bedtime routine to launch the dropdown menu.
In the dropdown menu, you can set or change the start and end time and the days for your preferred Bedtime routine. You can also set this routine to turn on while charging or not.
- Should you wish to use a more personalized setting, tap Customize.
Doing so opens a dropdown menu with relevant options including Do Not Disturb for Bedtime mode, Screen options at bedtime and Turn off Bedtime mode at next alarm. Just enable the switch next to the option that you’d like to use.
- To manage screen time options for Bedtime mode, tap Screen options at bedtime.
Doing so opens another menu with different options that you can use to keep the screen dark, wallpaper dim and more. Simply tap to turn on the option that you’d like to use accordingly.
- Google Pixel 7
You can always change any of these Bedtime settings and options when needed. Just repeat the above steps to head back to the Bedtime settings menu on your device.
The following are available screen time options that you can use at Bedtime:
- Grayscale – When enabled, it changes the screen to black and white.
- Keep the screen dark – When enabled, it turns off the Always-on display.
- Dim the wallpaper – When enabled, it makes your wallpaper darker. Other screen elements such as app icons, widgets, and notifications won’t be affected.
- Dark theme – When enabled, a black background will be used system-wide. Enabling this option will activate the dark theme feature only when Bedtime mode is turned on.
If you want, you can tweak the Dark theme settings and schedule through Settings.
And that’s how you set up and manage Bedtime mode settings on the new Google Pixel 7 smartphone.