Are you having difficulty turning on your Bose SoundLink Flex Bluetooth speaker? This could be caused by a software glitch, defective battery, faulty charging cable, or a defective circuit board. To fix this, you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
The Bose SoundLink Flex is a popular portable Bluetooth speaker model designed for on-the-go listening. It has a compact and lightweight design, making it easy to take with you wherever you go. The SoundLink Flex delivers powerful and balanced sound with its dual-passive radiators and proprietary transducer. It also features Bose’s signature Clear Voice Pickup technology, which enhances voice clarity during phone calls and voice commands. The built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 12 hours of playtime, and it can be charged using the included USB-C cable.
- Dimensions/weight: 3.6″ H x 7.9″ W x 2.1″ D (1.3 lbs)
- Material: Soft-touch silicone exterior and powder-coated steel grille with fabric utility loop
- Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Battery life up to 12 hours
- Charging time is approximately 4 hours when using the original cable. Using a third-party USB-C cable or power source may influence charging time.
- Bluetooth version 4.2
- Inputs: USB-C port
- Built-in microphone acts as an extension of the microphone in your mobile device.
- Button controls: Power on, Bluetooth, Volume up/down, Multi-function button.
- Compatible app: Bose Connect app
- SimpleSync connectivity
- Party Mode
- Stereo pairing
Why won’t my Bose SoundLink Flex turn on?
One of the issues that you might experience with your Bose speaker sound system is when it does not turn on. This can be an annoying experience especially if you are about to use it to listen to your favorite music.
Here’s what you need to do to fix this Bose Bluetooth speaker not turning on issue.
Solution 1: Press the power button of your Bose Bluetooth speaker
The first troubleshooting step you should try if your Bose SoundLink Flex speaker does not turn on is to press and hold for a second the power button. Make sure that the power button is properly functioning and not stuck. If the button is stuck, try cleaning it with a soft cloth.
- Connect Bose SoundLink speaker to a charger then connect the charger to a power outlet.
- Press the Power button.
If all goes well then your Bose speaker should turn on. If it doesn’t then proceed to the next step.
Solution 2: Charge the Bose SoundLink Flex speaker
One of the reasons why your Bose SoundLink Flex Bluetooth speaker will not turn on is because the speaker’s battery life is drained. You should make sure that your Bose speaker has sufficient battery power then check if this will fix the problem.
- Connect one end of a USB-C cable to the USB-C port on the speaker and the other end to a USB AC adaptor (commercially available), and then connect the USB AC adaptor to a power outlet.
- Make sure that the USB cord is firmly connected to the speaker and the USB charger.
- The battery charging completes in 4 hours when using a charger with a power output of 1.5A.
After the Bose speaker charging light indicator shows that the battery power is full try checking if the speaker turns on.
If the speaker still won’t turn on after charging, try using a different USB cable. You can get a genuine USB cable from the Bose website. There’s also the possibility that you are using a bad USB charger so you should also try using a different charger.
Solution 3: Plug the Bose SoundLink Flex charger to a different power outlet
If the Bose SoundLink Flex won’t charge then check if the connected power outlet is working. Try plugging the power adaptor to a different wall outlet then try powering on the speaker.
Solution 4: Update your Bose SoundLink Flex software
One of the reasons why you are experiencing power related issues on your Bose SoundLink Flex speaker is because of a bug in it current software version. Try updating the software of the speaker then check if this fixes the problem.
How to update Bose SoundLink Flex software
- Connect the speaker to a computer. Use the USB-C cable that came with the speaker to connect it to a computer.
- Check for updates: Visit the Bose website and go to the Support section. Look for the SoundLink Revolve II and select the “Software Update” option. Follow the instructions to check for available updates.
- Download the update: If an update is available, follow the instructions to download and install it on your speaker.
- Disconnect the speaker: After the update is complete, disconnect the speaker from the computer.
Solution 5: Factory reset your Bose SoundLink Flex speaker
If you keep on experiencing power issues on your Bose speaker then you should consider doing a factory reset or hard reset. This brings back the speaker to its default factory settings.
Factory resetting the Bose SoundLink Flex will erase all stored data, settings, and paired devices. Before resetting the speaker, make sure to backup any important data or files stored on it.
Restore the factory settings of your speaker
- Power on your portable speaker.
- Press and hold the Power icon button for about 10 seconds until the Bluetooth light blinks blue and a voice prompt instructs you to select a language.
Solution 6: Bring your Bose SoundLink Flex speaker to a service center
There are instances when Bose speakers will not turn on because of a hardware issue. This can be due to a faulty circuit board for example. If this is the case then the best support right now is to bring the device to the nearest service center. If the speaker is still under warranty then this might be replaced with a new one or repaired for free.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the range of the SoundLink Flex speaker’s Bluetooth performance?
The speaker's Bluetooth connection is capable of stable operation of at least 30 ft (9 m).
Does the SoundLink Flex speaker feature a speakerphone?
Yes. The SoundLink Flex can be used for both listening and hands-free communication.
What is Party Mode and how does it work?
Party Mode lets you connect two Bose Bluetooth speakers to play audio in perfect sync. This feature requires any two Bose Bluetooth speakers from the following list: SoundLink Flex, SoundLink Micro, SoundLink Color II, SoundLink Revolve (series I & II) and SoundLink Revolve+ (series I & II).
What is Stereo Mode and how does it work?
Stereo Mode, as the name suggests, enables a stereo audio experience via two Bose Bluetooth speakers from the following list: SoundLink Flex, SoundLink Micro, SoundLink Color II, SoundLink Revolve (II) and SoundLink Revolve+ (II).
What is the battery performance of the SoundLink Flex speaker?
In a typical usage, the SoundLink Flex battery lasts up to 12 hours.