Does your Android screen or iPhone screen sleep after just a few seconds of inactivity? Do you want to keep the screen on for longer period of time? In this article we will be showing you how to adjust the screen timeout for Android devices and iPhone.
Screen timeout is an important feature on Android devices and iPhones that helps to conserve battery life and prevent unauthorized access to your device. This feature automatically turns off your Android phone screen or iPhone screen after a certain period of inactivity, which can be customized to suit your preferences. You can choose from the different screen timeout options available, the longer the screen timeout settings the longer period of time your screen will stay awake.
How do you make your screen stay on longer without having to tap it?
Most Android phones will have a screen timeout of 30 seconds which is the same for the iPhone screen timeout settings. There are however instances when you will want your iPhone’s screen or Android phone screen to stay awake for a much longer period of time. Here are some of the common reasons:
Reading: If you use your mobile device to read articles or e-books, a longer screen timeout will give you more time to finish reading without the screen turning off.
Streaming media: When streaming movies or TV shows, a longer screen timeout can be useful as it allows you to watch for a longer period without interruptions.
Accessibility: Longer screen timeout durations can be helpful for people with visual or motor impairments, as it gives them more time to interact with the device.
Convenience: If you find it frustrating to keep unlocking your device every few minutes, a longer screen timeout can be more convenient.
Navigation: When using your device for navigation, a longer screen timeout will prevent the screen from turning off while you’re driving or walking, making it easier to follow directions.
Gaming: If you’re playing games on your device, a longer screen timeout can be helpful as it prevents the game from being interrupted while you’re playing.
Demonstrations: When giving a presentation or showing someone how to use an app, a longer screen timeout can be useful as it gives you more time to explain without the screen turning off.
Make Your Screen Stay Longer on Android
Many Android devices will be able to adjust the screen timeout settings using these various methods.
Adjusting Screen Timeout from the Settings app
The easiest way to adjust your phone screen settings is from the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app on your Android device. You can find the Settings app in your app drawer or by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping the gear icon.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Display” option. This will open the display settings menu.
- Tap on the “Screen timeout” option. This will display the available screen timeout durations.
- Select the desired screen timeout duration from the list. You can choose from options ranging from 15 seconds to 10 minutes.
- Once you have selected the desired screen timeout duration, tap the back button to save the changes.
Turn off Smart Stay feature
Smart Stay is a feature that is available on some Samsung Android devices. It is designed to keep the screen on when you are actively looking at the device. This feature uses the front-facing camera on your device to detect your eyes and prevent the screen from turning off when you are looking at it no matter what you screen timeout setting is.
One downside to using this feature though is that as soon as you look away, the screen turns off. This feature has other limitations, such as not working well in low-light environments or failing to sense your eyes. If you want to avoid your phone screen shutting down too quickly when you’re not looking at it, you can disable the Smart Stay feature.
- Open the “Settings” app on your Samsung device.
- Scroll down and tap on “Advanced features.”
- Tap on “Motions and gestures.”
- Find and select “Smart Stay.”
- Toggle the switch next to “Smart Stay” to turn it off.
Turn on Stay Awake feature
The “Stay Awake” feature is a setting available on some Android devices that keeps the screen on while the device is charging or connected to a power source.
When the Stay Awake feature is enabled, the screen will not turn off automatically, even if the screen timeout duration has been reached. This can be helpful for tasks that require uninterrupted access to the device.
- Open the “Settings” app on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on “Developer options.”
- Find and select “Stay Awake.”
- Toggle the switch next to “Stay Awake” to turn it on.
It’s important to note that the Developer options menu is hidden by default on most Android devices, and you may need to enable it by tapping on the “Build number” in the “About phone” section of the Settings app several times.
Make Your Screen Stay Longer on iPhone
You can make your iPhone screen stay on longer by adjusting the auto lock feature or enable the Always On Display which is available on certain models.
Adjust Auto lock setting
The iPhone Auto Lock setting is a feature that automatically turns off the iPhone screen after a specified amount of time to conserve battery life and prevent unauthorized access.
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Display & Brightness” and then “Auto-Lock.”
- Choose a time interval for the Auto-Lock setting that suits your needs.
- You can also choose “Never” to disable the Auto-Lock feature entirely, but this will consume more battery power.
Sometimes the auto lock option will be greyed out. This is because your iPhone is running on low power mode. You need to turn off this mode first.
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Battery.”
- Find and toggle the switch next to “Low Power Mode” to turn it off.
Use the Always on Display feature
If you own an iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max, you can take advantage of the Always On Display setting, which keeps a dimmed version of your Lock Screen visible even when your device is locked.
Turn on Always On Display
The Always On Display setting is enabled by default on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max. If it is off then you can turn it back on by going to your iPhone’s Settings, select “Display & Brightness,” and then toggle on the “Always On Display” option.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is screen timeout on a smartphone?
Screen timeout is a feature on smartphones that turns off the screen after a specified amount of time to conserve battery life and prevent unauthorized access.
- How do I adjust the screen timeout settings on my smartphone?
To adjust the screen timeout settings on your smartphone, go to the Settings app, select Display or Lock Screen, and then choose the desired time interval for the screen timeout.
- Why does my smartphone screen turn off too quickly?
Your smartphone screen may be turning off too quickly due to the Auto-Lock or Sleep settings, which automatically turn off the display after a specified amount of time to conserve battery life and prevent unauthorized access.
- How do I adjust the Auto-Lock settings on my iPhone?
To adjust the Auto-Lock settings on your iPhone, go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock, and then choose a time interval for the Auto-Lock setting that suits your needs.
- How does screen timeout affect my smartphone's battery life?
Screen timeout can have a significant impact on your smartphone's battery life, as the longer the screen stays on, the more battery power it consumes.