Every mobile device is assigned with a unique identification number called the IMEI or International Mobile Equipment Identity code. With this code, you can confirm the authenticity of the device you’ve acquired.
This post highlights every important information about the IMEI code on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 smartphone. Read on if you need help viewing this information and see if your recently purchased Xiaomi device is legit or fake.
Xiaomi’s newest addition to its Redmi Note smartphones, the Note 12, is definitely a good value for its price. While it’s tagged among the mid-range smartphone variants, its technical specifications and key features are exceptional. Just ensure that the unit you purchase is original. This is where checking the phone’s IMEI number comes in handy.
The IMEI number is used for various purposes, such as tracking lost or stolen devices, blocking a device from a network if it is reported stolen, and identifying the device’s origin, model, and specifications.
Different Ways to View IMEI code on Xiaomi Redmi Note 12
The IMEI number in Xiaomi smartphones including the Redmi Note variants typically consist of a 15-digit code. And there are many ways for you to view this information.
First Method: Viewing IMEI code using the Dialer app
The quickest way to view the IMEI number on a Xiaomi Redmi Note phone is using the stock dialer application. Here’s how it’s done:
Step 1. First, open the phone’s dialer app. Just look for the Phone icon on the Home screen or Apps tray of your phone and then tap on it to launch the dialer.
Step 2: While in the dialer app, tap the keyboard icon to open the numeric keyboard. If it’s already enabled, then just keep it that way.
Step 3: To view the IMEI number, enter the following sequence on the dialer app or keypad:
*#06# (asterisk, hash, zero, six, hash)
Step 4: After entering the above sequence, you will see a pop-up window that contains the IMEI code of your Xiaomi Redmi Note 12. If you don’t see this window, press the Call/Dial button after entering the sequence to confirm action.
Second Method: Viewing IMEI number via Settings menu
Just like other system features and options, the IMEI number can also be accessed through the settings app menu of your Xiaomi Redmi Note smartphone. Here’s how:
Step 1: First, navigate to the Home screen or Apps tray and then tap on the Settings icon that’s represented by a gear figure.
Step 2: In the Settings menu, scroll down to find and then tap About phone.
Step 3: To continue, tap Status. Relevant information will load up on the next window.
Step 4: Find IMEI or IMEI information to view the IMEI number of your phone.
If you still have the original packaging or invoice of your phone, you can also find the IMEI number on it. The IMEI number of your smartphone should be printed on the original packaging and invoice. Try to check and see if the IMEI number on the packaging and invoice matches the one on the phone’s settings menu.
General Uses of IMEI number in Smartphones
The IMEI number is specific to each device and cannot be changed. You can make use of this information in any of the following situations.
- Tracking lost or stolen devices. The IMEI number can be used to track lost or stolen devices. The network operator or the phone manufacturer can use the IMEI number to blacklist the device and prevent it from being used on any network.
- Warranty and repairs. The IMEI number is used to identify the device and determine if it is under warranty. It is also used to track the repair history of the device.
- Network unlocking. Some network providers may use the IMEI number to lock a device to their network. The IMEI number can also be used to unlock the device so that it can be used on any network.
- Identifying counterfeit devices. The IMEI number can be used to identify counterfeit devices. This is because counterfeit devices often have fake IMEI numbers or duplicate IMEI numbers.
- Regulatory compliance. The IMEI number is used to comply with regulations related to the use of mobile devices. For example, in some countries, it is illegal to use a mobile device without a valid IMEI number.
Sharing your phone’s IMEI number is strictly prohibited as it can be used for malicious purposes such as device cloning or unauthorized access.
And that’s all there is to know about the Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 IMEI code.