Stereo Mix is a recording device on your Windows PC is a tool that can record an audio from your laptop or desktop. Stereo Mix feature is to do an audio recording of the sound that is being played on the speakers of your Windows PC. There are instances wherein users experience that the Stereo Mix feature suddenly disappears on their computer and you can no longer record audio. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will show you the ways on how to restore missing stereo mix on your Windows 10 PC.
Restore missing stereo mix on Windows 10 PC
There are several factors that can cause stereo mix option to disappear on your Windows PC. Most of the time it is usually caused by a recent Windows update wherein the tool is considered to be no longer useful by Windows and disables it. . Other causes includes an outdated audio driver, tool being disabled to a microphone that cannot be accessed. Listed below are the troubleshooting steps that you can try to restore the stereo mix tool that is missing on your Windows PC.
But Before performing any of the recommended troubleshooting solutions listed below its best to restart your computer. This action refreshes Windows 10 operating system and will usually fix most of the common recording audio device other software related issues that you may be experiencing.
Step 1: Check if Microphone Device is Accessible
Stereo Mix goes missing when the Microphone on your computer is not available. With that, Stereo Mix tool will also be disabled automatically. Make sure Microphone is accessible should be the first step to try to fix Stereo Mix that is missing.
Posts you might like
To do this:
- Click on Windows or Start menu located at the bottom left
- Click Settings, an icon that looks like a gear to open Windows Setting section.
- At Windows Settings, click on Privacy tab.
- Click Microphone under app permissions tab located at the left pane.
- At right pane, check if Microphone is available for access. If not, click on Change.
- Toggle ON “Microphone Access for this device to enable access”
- Toggle ON the option “Allow apps to access your Microphone”
- You can also check which Microsoft Store apps you would like to have access to your Microphone.
After checking if Microphone is available for access, check if the issue Stereo Mix on your Windows PC is still missing.
Step 2: Show Disabled Devices
There is a possibility that Stereo Mix tool has automatically been disabled or hidden by Windows as it constantly gets rid of features that are deemed unnecessary. At times though, it has also been disabled by a third party application. Check if hidden disabled devices is the cause of Stereo mix missing on your Windows 10 PC.
Here’s how to do this:
- Right click on the Volume icon located at the bottom right of on your Windows.
- Click Sounds to open Sound Window.
- Click on Recording tab.
- Right click anywhere on the recording tab window and then click Show Disabled Devices and “Show Disconnected Devices options from the drop down menu. Stereo Mix will then appear as disabled.
- Right click on Stereo Mix and then click Enable from the drop down menu to enable stereo mix
- Exit Sound Window
Check if the issue Stereo Mix is no longer missing and then try to record an audio to check if it is properly working.
Step 3: Update Audio Drivers
If the above mentioned steps did not fix the problem and Stereo Mix is still missing, make sure to update your Audio Driver. An outdated sound card driver can cause audio related issues on your computer.
To do this:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open RUN dialog box.
- At RUN dialog box, type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter or click OK to open Device manager section.
- At Device Manager window, click Sound, Video and Game controllers section to expand it.
- Right click on the headphone that you are using and click Update Driver from the drop down menu.
- Click the option “Search Automatically for Drivers”. Windows will now search for available drivers for your computer. Wait for it to finish.
- After process is complete and the best drivers for the device are already installed, click Close to exit.
- Exit Device Manager Window.
After updating the software of Audio Drivers, Check if the issue Stereo Mix on your Windows PC is still missing.
After following the steps mentioned, you will successfully Restore Stereo Mix that is missing On Windows 10
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.