You will usually need to reset LG TV to bring it back to its default initial settings. This is done when the TV seems to be having a software problem, is frozen, or when you made some setting changes that you can’t undo.
LG is a popular brand when it comes to televisions. This South Korean company is actually the world’s 4th largest LCD television manufacturer. Some of its best TV models include OLED TVs, QNED MiniLED TVs, NanoCell TVs, and 4K Ultra HD TVs just to name a few.
How to reset LG TV to its default factory settings
If you own an LG smart TV then you probably have download streaming apps to it and watch your favorite shows. You might even connect your gaming console to it and play games on your large TV screen.
During the normal use of your smart TV there might be some glitches that will occur such as freezing when navigating the menu or apps crashing.
When this happens you will need to consider doing a factory reset. This procedure will reset to initial settings your LG smart TV.
Take note that when you perform a hard reset your smart Tv will be brought back to its default settings. Any apps you downloaded or files you saved will be deleted.
How to soft reset your LG Smart TV
Sometimes, to fix the issue, all you need to do is a soft reset. This does not delete the apps installed in your TV instead it just refreshes the operating system of your TV. This procedure is best done when your television freezes.
To perform this step just press and hold the “ok” button or the middle button on the TV’s panel of controls for five seconds. The soft reset process should begin.
How to reset LG Smart TV
You can reset your LG smart TV by following these steps.
Press the Smart button on your remote.
Click the Gear icon on the top right.
Click Reset to Initial Settings.
Your TV will restart after performing these steps and will be running on its factory default settings. As soon as the TV has fully started here’s what you need to do next.
Select language and country.
Select your location. This allows you to access apps and streaming content available for your country.
Choose how you will connect to the internet.
Make sure to select Home for the first question.
Select how to get your TV signal then set your local area code and click OK.
If you have a cable box or satellite receiver make sure to select the input it is connected to then choose the service provider.
If you don’t have a cable box then select how you receive your TV signal.
The LG smart TV will perform an auto tuning to find the available channels in your area.
Take time to read the legal notice then click next.
Take time to read the user agreements then click Agree.
How to reset your LG TV using the remote
Here’s how you can reset your LG TV with the help of its remote control.
Go to the “Menu” by pressing the “Home” button from the TV’s remote.
Click on the “Settings” option on the menu screen.
On the “General” option in the settings menu, find the “Reset” option and select it then initiate the resetting process.
Follow the onscreen instructions and select the “Confirm” option on all warnings.
Enter the TV’s password and start the reset. The password will usually be 0000 or 1234. You can also search for the pin for your model on LG’s website.
How to reset LG smart TV without the remote
In case you lose the remote of your LG smart TV and want to perform a factory reset then this can still be done by using the TV’s buttons.
- Press and hold old the “Power” button on the side/bottom panel of the TV for 10 seconds.
- When the TV restarts to the LG logo try to check if the reset is successful.
If the above steps does not work then proceed with the following steps.
- Use the joystick controls on the TV to navigate to the “Menu” and “Settings”.
- On the “General” option in the settings menu, find the “Reset” option and select it then initiate the resetting process.
- Just follow the onscreen instructions and select the “Confirm” option on all warnings.
- You will need to enter the TV’s password and start the reset.
How to reset your LG Smart TV without the password
A password is needed whenever you want to reset LG smart TV. Sometimes though, you will forget the password that you have set on your TV which in turn prevents you from performing the reset procedure.
What you can do in this case is to reset the pin code which you have initially set.
Here’s how to reset your LG TV without the password
- Using the remote control go to “Menu” and choose the “Settings” option.
- Find the “Advanced settings” option.
- Scroll down and find the “Safety” options in the “Advanced settings” tab.
- Just highlight the option named “Reset Password” in this tab. Do not click on it. Press channel up twice then channel down and then a channel up again. This is a secret built-in code to help users when they forget their passwords.
- Enter “0313” or “0325” in the next pop-up dialogue box.
- Enter “0000” in the safety dialogue box that will pop up next.
- You will see a screen where you can change your password.
Once you have set the new password you can then perform a factory reset on your TV.
How to Factory Reset LG Smart TV
Performing a factory reset on your LG TV means removing everything you installed or saved and bringing everything back to its initial settings.
Here’s how you can perform this procedure.
Using the remote control open all settings from the “Menu” and click on support.
Find “General” settings and select it.
Navigate to the option labeled “Reset to Initial Settings.”
Follow the warning boxes and press confirm to ensure that you want to proceed.
The TV will ask you to input your password. Input it, and the factory resetting process will begin.
Wait until the process is complete.
You will now need to setup the TV just as you did for the first time.
How to hard reset your LG Smart TV
Hard resetting your LG Tv is the same as unplugging its power cord from the power outlet. This is usually done when a minor glitch has occurred such as when your TV freezes or if navigating the menu is slow.
Instead of unplugging the cord you can actually perform this procedure using the remote control.
Here’s how you can perform this procedure.
- Press and hold the volume down and power key together for at least 10 seconds on your remote control.
- The LG logo will appear, and the reset will be completed.