Steam is one of the best platforms that you can get for your PC Games. An online platform wherein you can play, create and buy and download PC games. It is the most widely used online platform nowadays by gamers within the gaming community. Although this is a stable platform there are rare instances when certain issues can occur when steam failed to install because of App Configuration steam error that a lot of steam client gamers are complaining. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle how to fix Steam App Configuration Unavailable issue on your Windows 10 PC.
What causes Steam App Configuration Unavailable Error
The error usually prevents games and users to download and install a game that can be from a particular game or several games. There are also instances wherein the error message does not only appear during the installation of games but also during the downloading and installing of the game’s Downloadable Content (DLC).
There are several factors that can cause this particular issue ranging from a bug in the app and a corrupt or damaged appinfo.vdf file to administrative priviledges.
Before performing the recommended troubleshooting steps for this particular problem I suggest that you try restarting your computer first. This will refresh the operating system as well as remove corrupt temporary data and is quite effective in fixing computer related issues.
Step 1: Run as Administrator
Estimate Cost : 0
Time Needed : 4 minutes
Administrative access is sometimes required for certain access to folders and files on your computer, If Windows is blocking this access then this problem mostly likely will occur. To fix this you will need to run as an administrator.
- Right click on Steam Icon located on your desktop
You can also find it from the Start menu.
- Click Properties from the drop down menu.
It's often the last option.
- At Steam Properties section, click on Compatibility tab.
There are several taps and compatibility is just one of them.
- At settings of compatibility section, click on the option Run this program as an Administrator.
This gives more admin rights.
- Click Apply to apply changes made.
This should be enough.
- Click Ok to exit Steam Properties section.
This closes the small window.
- Launch Steam.
It should work without a hitch now.
- Windows 10
Check if App Configuration Unavailable Steam error problem still occurs.
Step 2: Delete steam appinfo.vdf file
Appinfo vdf file contains information about the games that you downloaded, if this file becomes corrupted and or if there are issues with the files it can cause this error to occur. To know if this is the culprit, you need to delete the file and check if the issue will be resolved.
- Close Steam app. To completely close the steam application, click on Steam tab located on your upper left. Click on Exit from the drop down menu.
- Hold and press Windows key + E on your keyboard to open File Explorer
- At File explorer section, go to the following address: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\appcache\. You can go to Local Disk Drive C, then click on Program Files x86, scroll down and locate Steam folder then click on it. Click on appcache folder. Inside appcache folder, locate appinfo vdf file.
- Right click on the file and click delete from the drop down menu. Confirm any additional prompts.
- Launch Steam app and download the game again.
Check if App Configuration Unavailable Steam Error issue still occurs.
Step 3: Update Steam App to fix Steam App Configuration Unavailable
If the above steps did not fix the error message on your steam app, it is most likely caused by a bug on your steam app. These bugs usually disappears after a successful steam update of the application. You can wait for any available steam update, however, usually the app will automatically install any available latest updates.
To check if your Steam is up to date, to the following steps below:
- Open Steam app.
- Click on Steam tab located on your upper left
- Click on Check for Steam Client Updates. Steam will now check for latest updates. wait for steam to complete checking for updates.
Check if App Configuration Unavailable Steam Error issue still occurs. If error message still occurs, the best thing to do is to wait for the next available update that fixes bug that may have caused the error message to appear.