The #LG #V40ThinQ is one of the premium flagship smartphone models available in the market which is actually a great device to use and comes with several useful features. This phone is made of an Aluminum frame with Corning Gorilla Glass on both the front and back. It sports a 6.4 inch Super AMOLED display and uses the Snapdragon 845 processor with 6GB of RAM. Although this is a solid performing phone there are instances when certain issues can occur which we will be addressing today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle the LG V40 ThinQ shuts down in cold weather issue.
If you own an LG V40 ThinQ or any other Android device for that matter then feel free to contact us using this form. We will be more than happy to assist you with any concern that you may have with your device. This is a free service we are offering with no strings attached. We however ask that when you do contact us try to be as detailed as possible so that an accurate assessment can be made and the correct solution can be given.
How To Fix LG V40 ThinQ Shuts Down In Cold Weather
Problem: I have an LG V40 ThinQ and recently, with the onset of cold weather, it just shuts down, even though battery is close to full charge, or at least 75%. I take it with me when I run in the mornings and it’s fine for the most part if I keep it in my pocket. I can’t wear in on my sleeve though. It will shut down and when I try to power it up it just shuts down again. When I get home I plug it in and it will say at 60 or 70%. It there an actual temp where the phone will just shut down or could it be battery related? Thank you
Solution: Before performing any troubleshooting steps on this phone it’s best to make sure that it is running on the latest software version. If an update is available then I suggest that you download and install it first.
Posts you might like
This phone is designed to work in a wide range of temperatures. If the environment is cold but you are still able to perform your daily tasks normally then the phone should also work without any issues.
One of the main reasons why the phone will shut down when the temperature drops is due to a battery failure. Since this phone has a sealed battery which we can’t easily replace then the first thing that needs to be done is to eliminate the other possible factors that can cause this problem before bringing the phone to a service center.
Perform a soft reset
The first thing you will need to do in this case is a soft reset. This will refresh the phone software and will usually fix the problem if it is caused by a temporary software glitch. To perform this just press and hold the Power button and Volume Down until the device powers off, approximately 8 seconds, then release.
Start the phone in Safe Mode
There are cases when the problem can be caused by an app you downloaded. To verify if this is what’s causing the problem you should start the phone in Safe Mode since only the pre-installed apps are allowed to run in this mode.
- Make sure the phone is powered off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button until the System recovery screen displays then release both buttons.
- Select Safe mode by using the Volume buttons to highlight the option and the Power button to select.
- The device starts up with ‘Safe mode’ displayed in the lower-left.
Wipe the cache partition
There are instances when the cached data of the phone becomes corrupted .When this happens it can cause issues with the device including the one you are experiencing right now. To verify if this is what’s causing the problem you will have to wipe the cache partition of the phone.
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap the ‘General’ tab.
- Tap Storage > Internal storage.
- Wait for menu options to finish calculating.
- Tap Free up space.
- Tap Temporary files & raw files.
- Select the following options: Cached data, Clip tray temporary files, Raw files from camera
- Tap Delete > DELETE.
Perform a factory reset
One final troubleshooting step you will need to perform is a factory reset. This will revert your phone back to its original factory condition. Make sure to backup your phone data before performing this step.
- Back up data on the internal memory before performing a factory reset.
- From the Home screen, Settings.
- Tap the ‘General’ tab.
- Tap Restart & reset.
- Tap Factory data reset.
- If desired, tap the Erase SD card checkbox.
- Tap RESET PHONE – Delete all – RESET
You can also perform the factory reset using the hardware keys.
- Backup all data on the internal memory before performing a master reset.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume down buttons.
- When the LG logo appears, quickly release and then re-hold the Power button while continuing to hold the Volume down button.
- When the ‘Delete all user data (including LG and carrier apps) and reset all settings’ message appears, use the Volume down button to highlight Yes.
- Press the Power button to reset the device
In case the above steps does not fix the problem then you will need to bring the phone to a service center and have it checked.