The Amazon Echo Dot will not turn on issue that you are experiencing can be caused by several factors. It could be due to a faulty setting, bad power port, faulty power adapter, or a defective circuit board. To fix this you will need to perform a series of troubleshooting steps.
The Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Generation) is a small Bluetooth speaker that also acts as a smart speaker and is usually sold for US$40. It comes with Alexa allowing you to perform various voice control commands. Some of its features include a fabric design, easy setup, and amazing sound quality.
Technical specifications of the Echo Dot (3rd generation):
- Size: 43 x 99 x 99 mm
- Weight: 300 grams
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Echo Dot or from Echo Dot to your Bluetooth speaker. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported.
- Audio: Built-in speaker for voice feedback when not connected to external speakers. 3.5 mm stereo audio output for use with external speakers.
What to do when your Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation won’t turn on
One issue that you might experience with this Bluetooth speaker is when you can’t seem to turn it on. This can be a frustrating experience as you won’t be able to use the device at all when the battery power runs out. Here’s what you need to do to fix this problem.
Method 1: Perform a factory reset on Echo Dot
The first thing you will need to do is a factory reset or hard reset. This procedure will remove the user data stored on this Bluetooth speaker and bring it back to its default settings. This is a useful troubleshooting step to do when you are experiencing problems with the device such as when you can’t make a Bluetooth connection or when there are power problems.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
Reset the speaker
- Press and hold the Action button for 25 seconds.
This will initialize the reset process.
- Wait for the light ring to turn back on and turn blue.
When the light ring turns orange the device is ready for set up.
Try checking if the device powers on.
Method 2: Dirt present in the speaker power port
The presence of debris in the power port will prevent the speaker from being powered by its adapter. Inspect the power port of the speaker for any signs of dirt or debris then clean this off using a toothpick or simply by blowing to it until it gets removed. Once the port is clean try checking if the issue still occurs.
Method 3: Replace the power adapter
If the power adapter you are using is defective then it won’t be able to provide power to the speaker. The adapter won’t work if its cord is damaged or if it has a faulty internal board. Try replacing this adapter with a new one then check if the issue still occurs.
Method 4: Faulty circuit board
One factor that can cause this problem is a defective speaker circuit board. This can happen if water gets inside the speaker and damages its internal components. If this is what’s causing the problem then you will need to have this fixed at a service center.
Visit our TheDroidGuy Youtube Channel for more troubleshooting videos.