Does your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 contacts app keep on stopping? There are several factors that can cause this issue such as a software bug, interference from a third-party app, or even an outdated software. To fix this you will need to perform several troubleshooting steps.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 is a premium Android phone that uses the foldable display form factor. It’s designed for individuals who want the best of both worlds, a full-sized smartphone that’s compact enough to fit in any pocket. Some of its best features include a Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 chip and a battery capacity of 3700 mAh.
Fixing the Contacts app keeps stopping issue on Galaxy Z Flip 4
One of the common issues that you might experience with your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 is when the contacts app keeps stopping or crashing. This might happen when you are using opening the contacts app or it might just happen randomly. This can be an annoying issue as it will interrupt what you are doing with the device.
Here’s our troubleshooting guide to fix this contacts app crashes issue.
Solution 1: Soft reset your Samsung Galaxy Flip 4
The first troubleshooting step you should do when Android phones experience app related issues is to restart the device. This refreshes the phone’s operating system and will fix any issues caused by a firmware crash or software glitch.
The soft reset will reboot the operating system of the phone and reload all of its services. Your personal data, files, and apps will remain unchanged.
Soft reset Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
- Turn off the Galaxy z Flip 4 by pressing and hold the Bixby button and the volume down button on the side of the device.
- Choose Power off.
- Choose Power off again. The phone will turn off.
- Wait for a few seconds.
- Press and hold the Bixby button on the side of the device to turn on the Samsung device.
After the device finishes restarting try to check if the issue still occurs.
Solution 2: Clear the Contacts app cache and data
One possible reason why the contacts app is experiencing issues is because it has some corrupted cached data stored.
In order to make sure that this app is free from corrupted data you will need to clear its cache and data. Take note that after performing this step the app will revert back to its default configuration.
Clear cache clear data of Contacts app
Open Settings app.
From the Settings menu, tap Apps
Select Contacts from the list of Apps.
On the Contacts App info, tap Storage.
Tap Clear cache at the bottom to clear cache from the app.
Tap Clear data to delete all residual data accumulated when using the contacts app.
Try to check if the issue still occurs after performing these steps.
Solution 3: Check for any available Galaxy Z Flip 4 software updates
One of the common causes of this problem is a software bug. Samsung will usually release monthly software updates for this device to further enhance its capabilities and fix software bugs.
Take note that you need an internet connection to get the software update. It’s best to use a WiFi connection and not a mobile data connection as the former is more stable and faster.
Manual software update
- Open Settings and scroll all the way down.
- Find and tap Software update.
- Tap Download and install to check for a new update.
After installing the update try to check if this fixes the problem.
Solution 4: Start the Galaxy Z Flip 4 in Safe Mode
There’s a possibility that third-party apps downloaded in your phone is interfering with the contacts app. In order to check if a downloaded app is the culprit you will need to start the phone in Safe Mode.
Safe Mode will only allow the default apps to run in your Galaxy Z Flip 4 making it easier to determine if a third-party app is the culprit.
- Press and hold the Power button and Volume down button (right edge) until the ‘Power off’ prompt appears on the screen then release.
- Touch and hold Power off until the ‘Safe mode’ prompt appears then release.
- To confirm, tap Safe mode.
Wait for up to 30 seconds for the process to complete. When your device reboots “Safe Mode” will appear on the lower left side of the home screen.
Try observing if the contacts app still crashes while in this mode.
In case the issue does not occur then you will need to find out the specific app that is causing this problem and uninstall it.
After uninstalling the app, you can exit from safe mode.
Exit Safe Mode
- Press and hold the Side key.
- Tap Restart > Restart.
- The device will restart in standard mode, and you can resume normal use.
Solution 5: Perform a hardware test using the Samsung Members app
If a hardware component in your phone is faulty then this can result to crashes. In order to check if your phone hardware is functioning properly you can use the Samsung Members app.
To perform a hardware test
- Open Samsung Members.
- Tap on Get help.
- Under Diagnostics tap on Start.
- Choose all possible selections.
- Tap Start to run the test.
If you get an error report and the test fails, then you need to contact the nearest Samsung service center in your area.
Solution 6: Perform a factory data reset on your Galaxy Z Flip 4
In case the problem is caused by a corrupted system software then a factory reset is highly recommended.
The factory reset will erase your phone data and bring it back to its original condition. Any corrupted data stored in the operating system which could be causing this problem will be completely removed.
Before proceeding with this step, you need to back up your phone files.
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy device.
- Simultaneously press and hold the Volume up and side buttons until the device vibrates and the Android Recovery screen appears then release all buttons. Allow up to 30 seconds for the recovery screen to appear.
- From the Android Recovery screen, select Wipe data/factory reset. You can use the volume buttons to cycle through the available options and the side key to select.
- Select Factory data reset. Allow several seconds for the factory data reset to complete.
- Select Reboot system now. Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.
- Set up your Android phone.
When the master reset has completed don’t install any third-party apps yet. Try checking first if the issue still occurs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does the contacts app keep on freezing or stopping on my phone?
This is usually caused by a software glitch which can be fixed by a restart, clearing the app cache, or updating your phone software.
- Can I use a third-party contacts app?
You can download and use third party contact apps from the Google Play Store.
- How do I force stop an app in Z Flip 4?
You can perform this procedure by going to Settings > Apps > Select the App > Force Stop at the bottom > OK.
- How do I clear app cache data in Z Flip 4?
Open your Settings and tap Apps.
From the list of Apps that appears, tap on the app that is causing the issue.
Tap Storage > Clear data or Clear cache.
- What is the default app to use for messaging in the Z Flip 4?
The default app for messaging on your phone is Samsung's very own Messages app. It also has the Google Messages app which you can use.