Microsoft Surface Pro 9 users are experiencing power issues with their device either not turning on, or intermittent power and sometimes device is stuck on black screen. If your surface pro 9 won’t turn on when you press the power button, not to worry as there are solutions that you can try to fix it which will be discussed in this post.
|Microsoft Surface Pro 9 (2022)
|Check Price on Amazon
Fix Surface Pro 9 Won’t Turn On
There are several reasons why Microsoft surface device will not turn on. Reasons such as issues with the battery, a faulty charging cable, when the device overheats, changes in the power and sleep settings and issues with the display drivers of the device.
Listed below are troubleshooting solutions that you can try to fix Microsoft surface pro won’t turn on.
Check for Battery Issues
Depending on how you use your surface laptop, it is not common for the battery to completely drain. When there are too many programs and applications that are running at the same time, it can decrease battery life and the device will usually prompt you to charge the device. If you are unable to charge the surface laptop makes the battery flat and eventually run out of juice completely.
To fix this, charge your surface laptop by plugging it to is its original charger plugged to a power supply and pressing the power to turn it on. However, it the battery becomes dead completely you may need to charge the service for a longer period of time.
Check for faulty charging cable
A faulty charging cable will not supply your surface laptop a sufficient power causing it to not turn on. Aside from that, using a faulty charging cable may not charge your surface pro 9 at all.
If you have a faulty charging cable, make sure to have it replaced and then check with the new charging cable if the issue will be fixed.
Check for external devices connected to your surface pro
If external devices and surface accessories are still connected to your device, it can sometimes interfere and cause power issue. Devices such as external monitors, other USB devices, external HDD and keyboard connected to your surface pro, make sure to remove them and then try to power on your laptop.
Use Keyboard to power on surface pro
When surface pro is not turning on, try to connect a keyboard and use the keyboard shortcut to wake up the device. Power on Surface pro using the keyboard shortcut by simultaneously pressing the buttons Windows logo + Ctrl + Shift + B keys.
If a keyboard is not connected to your device such as when surface pro is in tablet mode, simultaneously press the volume up button and the down button for 3x .
If after charging your surface pro 9 and still it won’t turn on, try to force a shutdown on the device and then restart it.
The force restart steps varies with different Surface models.
To do this, Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds or until surface logo appears.
In addition, the steps to force restart a specific model of Surface devices are as follows:
Force restart surface book, Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 3:
- Press and hold power button for 30 seconds and then release.
- Simultaneously press and hold volume up and power button for 15 second and then release. You will notice surface logo flashes on the screen.
- After 10 seconds from releasing of the button, press power button again to try turning on the device.
Force restart surface Studio, Surface Laptops, Surface Book 2, The New Surface Pro, or Surface Pro LTE
- Press and hold power button. Wait for Surface device to restart.
- Once the device restarts, release the power button when the windows logo appears on the screen. Should be about 20 seconds.
Contact Microsoft Support
After trying all the solutions but surface device is still won’t turn on, there is probably an internal or hardware related issue. Bring Surface pro to your nearest service center or the official Microsoft store to have it checked and properly diagnosed
If your device is still within warranty period, never attempt to repair it on your own or attempt to disassemble the device as it can void the warranty.
If Surface device turn on, what to do next:
If the solutions fixes not turning on issue, the next best step to do is to prevent power issue from happening again. Make sure to keep in mind few important things to prevent power issue from occurring again:
- Update to the latest software update: always update your device to the latest version. Updating fixes bugs that may be the cause for most problems.
- Reinstall Display drivers: A corrupt display drivers can cause power issues and other issues related to it such as black screen error. Make sure to reinstall display drivers.
- Change sleep settings: when sleep mode is activated on the device, it can still drain the batter and eventually battery life completely runs out. Make changes to the sleep settings on your device.