There are various factors that can cause the Payday 2 Steam game to be disconnected from the server. It could be due to your internet connection, a software issue, or even a setting problem. You need to perform several troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.
Payday 2 is a first person shooter game that allows you to go on heists around the Washington D.C. area in solo mode or with up to three friends. You can participate in banks, shops, or armored car robberies. The more loot you get the more money and experience you gain which can be used to improve your weapons, gear, and other materials.
Why do I keep losing connection on Payday 2?
One of the issues that you might experience while playing Payday 2 is when you suddenly keep getting disconnected from the game servers. This can happen before the game starts or even in the middle of the game.
There are various reasons why you keep getting disconnected from the game.
- High latency: This could be due to a high ping on your internet connection which causes packet loss.
- Wi-Fi internet connection is weak: You should try using a wired connection.
- Corrupted game files: you should repair the game or reinstall it.
Solution 1: Check your internet connection
When playing the online mode of Payday 2 with your friends you need to make sure that your internet connection is good, especially if you are hosting the game. If your internet connection is poor then not only you will get disconnected but the other players as well.
You can check the status of your internet connection by running a speed test.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
Check internet speed
- Open a browser.
You can use any browser you want. I will be using Chrome for this example.
- Go to speedtest.net.
This is an online speed test tool that is free to use.
- Click on Go.
This will start the speed test.
- Take note of the ping, download, and upload results.
These results will determine if your internet connection is good.
A low ping between 50ms to 100ms is good to average. Anything higher than this will affect your online games and may cause disconnections. Your download and upload speeds should match what you are subscribing for from your ISP.
If there are issues with your connection then you check if it is caused by your networking equipment by following these steps.
- Turn off your computer.
- Unplug your Modem and Router from the power source.
- Wait for a minute then plug your modem and router back into the power source.
- Wait until the lights turn back on.
- Turn on your computer.
- Reconnect your computer to the internet. If possible try using a wired connection instead of a wireless connection.
Tips to prevent Wi-Fi connection issues
If you are stuck on using a Wi-Fi connection then you can at least improve it.
- Try to disconnect other devices connected to the Wi-Fi router while you are playing Payday 2. This will allow your computer to use the maximum internet bandwidth.
- Move your computer closer to the router. This will allow your computer to get a much stronger Wi-Fi signal.
- If you are using a dual band router try to connect to the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4 GHz band.
In case the connection issues still persists then you should contact your Internet Service Provider.
Solution 2: Allow Payday 2 through the Firewall
There’s a possibility that Payday 2 keeps getting disconnected when playing the online mode because your current firewall setting is blocking the incoming and outgoing connection of the game.
You should check your firewall settings and make sure that the game is allowed to pass.
On the Windows search bar type “Firewall & network protection”.
Click on Firewall & network protection result. This should open the Windows security window.
Click on Allow an app through firewall.
Search for Payday 2 on the list and make sure it has a check mark. You should also make sure that the Private and Public boxes of the app are checked.
Once the above steps are completed restart your computer then play Payday 2 in online mode and check if the disconnection issue still occurs.
Solution 3: Verify integrity of game files
There’s a possibility that the game gets disconnected because of corrupted or missing game files. You should use the Steam client to check the Payday 2 game files. If any corrupted files are found then they will be replaced with new ones downloaded from the server.
Open the Steam client.
Click on Library.
Find Payday 2 then right click it then select Properties.
On the new window that appears click on Local Files.
Click Verify integrity of game files…
Once the game file integrity has been fixed try to check if your gaming experience improves.
Solution 4: Reinstall Payday 2
If after performing all of the troubleshooting steps listed above the disconnection issues still persists then there’s a possibility that the game installation is corrupted. You have to uninstall Payday 2 and install a fresh version.
Uninstalling the game
- Launch Steam Client.
- Go to the Steam Library tab.
- Right click on Payday 2 then click on Manage then uninstall.
- Click on Uninstall again to uninstall the game.
Installing the game
- Open Steam Client.
- Go to the Library tab.
- Right click on Payday 2 then click on install.
- Click next to proceed with the installation.
Feel free to visit our YouTube channel for additional troubleshooting guides on various devices.